Life imitating Art?

Dinsdale

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
This photo is one shot by Jerome from SCI-Reno this year and is in his post reviewing the show.I do not know which taxidermist did this,hopefully he will add it....

sci-convention-41.jpg

These photo's I lifted from a forum for professional and serious photographers called Fred Miranda (which I highly recommend for DSLR info)They have several galleries to view.These shots were taken by a Semi-Pro photographer; in Tanzania,I think in the Masai-Mara.Her name is Susan McConnell(posts as suemcc there).These two fought over the Impala in the fore ground,and are only two of a series she shot of the battle(I copied all of them for reference for my taxidermist;who also had many cats at Reno)......

0148.jpg

0147.jpg

Other than some details,like the lioness paw being higher,the poses are strikingly similar.If you look close the taxidermy is good but I think she needed more strain in her neck as in the photo.Also note the muscles in the real male as he fought,I think the flank and belly of the male mount could have used a little more detail,he looks a little chubby in his stomach.IMO

You can see the raw power in his body,when a meal was on the line and he needed to exert his dominance.

But overall pretty cool to see that these two can get in a real tussle and have a mount that reflects the same....

Dinsdale

Attachments

• 0147.jpg
    0147.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 0148.jpg
    0148.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 109
  • sci-convention-41.jpg
    sci-convention-41.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 96
Dinsdale, The taxidermy work is by Animal Artistry. This year there were lots of Lion mounts at the show... The pictures you posted are incredible.

Here are a couple of mounts in a similar style.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like AA used the same form twice just rotating the head.Thanks for the info.

The other Lion from Frank Zitz was one of his he shot in Tanzania.

Frank happens to live near me and is also a friend.He has done alot of my work.

Dinsdale

I'll tell you ... when I first saw the mount, these two pictures flashed into my mind. The male looks real close to the male in these two pictures! The expression on the male in the first photo is like: "What!"

AfricanLion-Male-wFemale-093-Comp-AA.jpg

AfricanLion-Male-wFemale-046-Playing-%27AirLions%27.jpg

The lioness in the mount looks like a reverse image of the gal in this photo!

Attachments

• AfricanLion-Male-wFemale-046-Playing-'AirLions'.jpg
    AfricanLion-Male-wFemale-046-Playing-'AirLions'.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 90
  • AfricanLion-Male-wFemale-093-Comp-AA.jpg
    AfricanLion-Male-wFemale-093-Comp-AA.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 109

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.