Lever Action Love...

Guess I should start a thread on how many of our lever actions have taken DG.

I had an insane Blesbok charge us one day while actually stalking a big warthog. I had to dispatch him at 15 feet. I am not sure what was going through his mind. First he charged and ran off the warthog, we were in the open, behind a very small bush, he then turned on us, from over a 100 yards away and came running to us. A center punch in the chest and he skidded to a stop............ DG? I don't know, those horns are kinda pointy at the end..............

i-gR2P8G6-X3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A 336 Marlin in 30-30 was my first rifle in about 1981. My dad had a Winchester 94 that his uncle had bought new in the 50’s. Everyone in the family used it on their first deer.
I saved up enough money for a 94. Dad brought home the 336 because it was $5.00 less expensive. I tried to hide my disappointment at the time.

I have never had a scope on the 336. When I moved on to bolt guns, it was the one deer rifle I would loan out.

It was my first and only lever until this year. I have added 3 more this year.
A good friend of mine, Larry, who was 87 years old, called me last April, two weeks into my retirement. He was renting out the side of the building his machine shop was in. we needed to move out everything the new tenant was not purchasing from him. Unfortunately he got Covid 19 and died in August at 88 years.

The family wanted me to finish moving him out of the building and offered to pay me. I told them I wasn’t looking for work but there were a few items he owned that I was interested in. I put a couple of his guns on the list when the idea of auctioning them was floated.

Larry was a southpaw so Winchester lever actions were a favorite of his.
I asked for his Winchester 71 and a Winchester 92 carbine in 32 WCF.
The 71 is engraved and second year of production. He really wanted the engraving to be factory. I don’t think it is, even though it is very nicely done. His rifle is the standard and not the deluxe. I can’t see Winchester engraving a standard instead of a deluxe. A recoil pad was added sometime in the past.

Larry’s dad had had a 92 in 32 WCF. It stayed in the family, just not with him. He had picked up a rough carbine made in 1899. The half cock will trip with a trigger pull. It fails to feed the last round from magazine.

I liked the 92 enough that I bought another in 32 WCF that is a really good condition 1907. It still shows case colors on the hammer and lever. It has a Lyman peep as well. Haven’t taken pics of it.

Sorry for the long post….

Nice story with a happy ending . Always special if one can inherit family or friends firearms . I am a sentimental person and believe certain things such as firearms and knives should be inherited by deserving family or friends , this way it is normally ensured that such items are well looked after .
I like the rifles , the engraving makes the rifle look really special .

It appears that the pretty maiden in the photo was very grateful for you shooting the rampaging Blesbok and saving her life!
Keep up the good work!

I enjoy lever actions. I have a Chiappa Alaskan in .44 mag which I'd learning about the centre fire side of things with and also loading straight wall ammo. (Who knew how important crimp was...)

Is a fun gun. Currently being run with a 2.5x28 Leupold scout scope and an XS Rear peep (Thanks to a good mate)

Scrummy

It appears that the pretty maiden in the photo was very grateful for you shooting the rampaging Blesbok and saving her life!
Keep up the good work!
I am a lucky guy, my lovely wife........ and has made many a step with me across the hunting grounds of the world............rain, snow and everything in between.............

P1010136-X3.jpg

Great thread @Tundra Tiger --on last year's African safari, my buddy Joe hunted almost exclusively with his Marlin Cowboy .45-70.

IMG_5188.JPG

Most impressive of all--and definitely *the* shot of our 10-day adventure was the one he made on a Waterbuck standing 268 yards away and uphill, after a hard, fast scramble that sent his heart rate into the stratosphere.

TalWaterbuck.jpg

At the shot, the animal stood motionless for about 10 seconds, which prompted our PH to whisper to Joe, "you missed!" My theory is that the Waterbuck was puzzled at the situation and thinking: "wait a minute--a .45-70 is supposed to be a short-range cartridge only. I read in on the Internet." :cool:

The 10 seconds having passed, the Waterbuck just up and keeled over, deader than non-rented formalwear. Joe's shot had been a textbook shoulder hit.

TalWaterbuck2.jpg

Unless the many irons he has in the fire prevent him from joining me in 2023, Joe plans on taking either this Cowboy or his Marlin Guide Gun--same chambering. This and other fantastic shots he made on this safari gave him a sense of prideful ownership of the lever-action concept and the .45-70 loaded with modern monolithic copper bullets.

So I know this may be anecdotal, but what I have witnessed from a lever action in a suitable caliber has dispelled any doubts of this system's capabilities--not that I had too many to begin with. A lever action is also a way to stand out. From what our PH said, it was the first safari in which he saw a lever action or a single shot (which is what I had). Definitely go for it!

IMG_5200.JPG

Last edited:
@michael458 ... Love the blesbok story! True story from my hunt - my wildebeest cost me an extra $1600. We had to follow him into really heavy cover on a steep slope for a follow-up shot. At a distance of feet he got to his feet and charged. I could have grabbed his horn without extending my arm - zero exaggeration. I shot him again after he went by. I had not at all been planning on a wildebeest shoulder mount. After that? How could I not.

@Tom Leoni ... Rereading your post (was in a hurry earlier getting ready for church), can you share a bit more about your friend's load?

I have made shots out to almost 400 here in Alaska with factory loads in my .338 Marlin. Longest shot in Africa was my springbok at 230 in a stiff crosswind. Your buddy's shot on that waterbuck... that was a very nice shot. Well done.

@Tundra Tiger - I've asked my friend for his specific load and here it is:

Bullet: Leigh Defense 305 Gr. Xtreme Penetrator (@ circa 2,100f/s)
Powder: Xterminator, 56gr
Primer: Federal 215

The Marlin Cowboy has a 26" barrel--he topped it with a Blackhound Optics 1-8X30 scope.

Thank you kind sir. I am not familiar with that powder (These days: powder? What's powder?) but clearly it's a viable option in .45-70.

I'll show my Marlins here, not the equal caliber-wise of many very nice makers and owners shown on this thread, but I enjoy what I have.
Starting from the left, standard 1895 in .45-70, next a 336 Texan .30-30, 336 in .35 Remington, 1894C in .357 Mag, 1894 Remlin in .45 Colt, last is another 1894C, .357 Mag with soon to be replaced scope.

20220522_222521.jpg

Great thread @Tundra Tiger --on last year's African safari, my buddy Joe hunted almost exclusively with his Marlin Cowboy .45-70.

View attachment 467434

Most impressive of all--and definitely *the* shot of our 10-day adventure was the one he made on a Waterbuck standing 268 yards away and uphill, after a hard, fast scramble that sent his heart rate into the stratosphere.

View attachment 467437

At the shot, the animal stood motionless for about 10 seconds, which prompted our PH to whisper to Joe, "you missed!" My theory is that the Waterbuck was puzzled at the situation and thinking: "wait a minute--a .45-70 is supposed to be a short-range cartridge only. I read in on the Internet." :cool:

The 10 seconds having passed, the Waterbuck just up and keeled over, deader than non-rented formalwear. Joe's shot had been a textbook shoulder hit.

View attachment 467438

Unless the many irons he has in the fire prevent him from joining me in 2023, Joe plans on taking either this Cowboy or his Marlin Guide Gun--same chambering. This and other fantastic shots he made on this safari gave him a sense of prideful ownership of the lever-action concept and the .45-70 loaded with modern monolithic copper bullets.

So I know this may be anecdotal, but what I have witnessed from a lever action in a suitable caliber has dispelled any doubts of this system's capabilities--not that I had too many to begin with. A lever action is also a way to stand out. From what our PH said, it was the first safari in which he saw a lever action or a single shot (which is what I had). Definitely go for it!

View attachment 467440

Nice looking #1.

Nice looking #1.

Thank you sir, although it's actually not a #1--hard to see from a distance.

It's a 1925-vintage H&H falling block. The telltale shape of the underlever gives it away when seen up close.

IMG_5346.JPG

Thank you sir, although it's actually not a #1--hard to see from a distance.

It's a 1925-vintage H&H falling block. The telltale shape of the underlever gives it away when seen up close.

View attachment 467532

That explains why I thought it was the nicest #1 I've ever seen and also the longest barrel on a #1 I've ever seen.

I'll blame it on 6 nights of night shift and blurry eye balls.

Seriously cool rifle. Much, much jealousy.

BTW the cowboy is a cool rifle as well. I talked myself out of buying one many times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!