Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
Maybe there’s already a thread to this effect somewhere on the site, but I’m going to post this one now. I had thought to do so because of @Tom Leoni 's thread about the use of single shots.

My heart belongs to lever actions, and that likely got its start with my first ever gun – an Ithaca Model 49 that was given to me well before the age of ten. I loved that rifle. I still do – I still have it. I still occasionally hunt small game here in Alaska with it. So my infatuation with lever action rifles started early, and now, at age 55, far and away most of my rifles are lever actions.

When I went to Africa for the first time last May, I took two: my Marlin XLR in .338 Marlin for plains game, and my 1895 GBL (.45-70) for buffalo (I also killed a zebra with it). Both worked magnificently, as I knew they would: I have great confidence in them.

So I guess with this thread I’d love to see/hear/learn two things. First, for those with a similar affection for lever actions, I’d love to see photos of your successes. I am aware of a handful of names that have never been bashful about sharing of their affinity for lever action rifles. I’m hopeful they’ll chime in, but I also hope maybe this’ll pull a few more hunters out of the woodwork so to speak.

Also, for outfitters in Africa: how often do you get clients who bring lever actions? I ask this because my outfitter had said they get very, very few. In post hunt discussions on the drive to the airport – going over all aspects of the hunt – lever actions came up after the fact and he admitted that in checking guns to make sure they were empty before putting them back on hunting rig… they certainly felt less familiar than bolt actions. It made me wonder how many guys bring lever actions with them to Africa; I’d love to hear from those of you who guide about this. Thanks in advance.

Photos provided show my go-to MXLR. Top photo: 2020 caribou hunt in March. I am MUCH more proud of what's behind me. By the snowmachine in the distance is my daughter's first caribou, which she dropped with a single shot at 170 yards. Mine was shot a brief moment later and took a couple shots - it was moving pretty good on the first and required an anchoring shot. Distance was about 200 yards. Bottom photo: my second impala from last May. It was high up on a hill with a bunch of ewes. One shot at 209 yards brought it down almost immediately.

IMG_2457.JPG

P1020123.jpg

I had also thought about starting this thread but I don't own a lever action for some reason. I've wanted an 1895 in 405 or an 1886 in 45-70 or 45-90 for years. Turnbull does spruced up 1886's that have recently caught my eye.

You just can't beat those old photos of a big buck whitetail and a well worn lever.

I love bolt rifles, but like @Tundra Tiger my heart belongs to lever actions. I currently own two, both of 1970s vintage. First one is a Winchester 94 in .30-30 that my Dad bought me in 1981. The other is a Browning BLR in .308 that I bought in 1995. I am in love with this rifle. To me it is perfect and I’ve killed mule deer, moose, elk, black bears, coyotes and many whitetails with it. The only big game animal that I can hunt in Saskatchewan that I haven’t killed with it yet is a pronghorn. And if I can ever draw a tag, my BLR is what I’ll use. And then there is a third lever waiting in the wings for me which is my father’s 1960s vintage Savage 99, also in .308 Win. This rifle has been a big part of my entire life as he had it before I was born. Somewhere there’s a photo of me in 1969 at around 5 months of age with that 99 on the wall in the background. I’m 53 now. I’ve even shot a few whitetails with it. However I’m in no hurry to collect it as Dad’s still hunting at the age of 80. When it does come to me it will be a huge bittersweet moment. I may post pics of animals those three rifles have taken, but there will be a lot!

Big fan here, got a passel of them! Took a nice buck deer with one years ago, a model 64 Winchester .30-30.
Took a splendid nyala in RSA a few years back with a '95 in .405 WIn. Just slightly over gunned but it was the only thing I pulled the trigger on that trip, my boy was on his first safari and did most of the shooting.
Lately been playing with a Uberti model 1876 in .45-60 Win and having a blast with it.

Count me as another fan of the lever gun. I don't own any of the common calibers for centerfires, but do have and enjoy a nice BLR in 7mm Mag that I format bought for a Caribou hunt in Alaska. And also a "trifecta" of rimfire lever actions (.22LR, 17 HMR, and .22Mag) that I love using for Prairie dogs, small game, and general plinking.

Not a big collection of them, nor anything special to own, but I definitely enjoy them.

I too am a fan of the lever gun............a principally North American action more popular here than anywhere else. Most notably, the Savage Model 99....the pinnacle of levers, which incorporated many features that were innovations, including rotary magazine, cocking indicator, and side ejection making it suitable for a scope. There were 4 proprietary Savage calibers, the .303 Savage, .22 Savage High Power, the 250-3000 and the 300 Savage. Approx 17 other calibers were chambered. I have not taken one to Africa yet, and part of the reason is this: "No automatic, semi-auto, lever action or slide action firearms are allowed". (That quote from this website, under the section dealing with importation or transit thru South Africa.) I know, I know....many have done it without problem. But things can go differently. Still hoping to take a 99 in 250 Sav for the Wartie that has always eluded me.....FWB

I like them equally with other fire arms. My collection include few 348 winchester, 30-30 marlin, BLR (358 WINCHESTER, 300 Winchester mag, 325 winchester magnum, 450 marlin). They are beautiful guns like art work. If you count Ruger no1 then i have them in 458 lott, 458 winchester, 300 h&h, 416 Rigby.
Krish

Last edited:
My heart has been infiltrated by the lever gun as well. I have a few carbines in pistol calibers, some rimfires and a boomer in the government cartridge. Nothing soothes the soul quite like that buck against the shoulder followed by the cycle of the lever and smoking brass arcing through sky...unless it's even faster firing and multiple pieces of brass in the air at once...but that might get them R8 boys in a bunch so let's not talk about that. :A Stirring: :E Lol: :A Outta:

I too have a love affair with lever action rifles . Growing up watching western films started that love affair for me and I always wanted a "cowboy gun" . Actors like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood were always the heros and they always carried a lever action rifle which they used with great effect on any rogue that incurred their wrath .
As I got older and started collecting firearms I was always looking for affordable lever actions , but in South Africa where I live lever actions were scarce , for some or other reason they were never very popular with only relatively few being sold on the second hand market from time to time .
No one that I knew of hunted with a lever action and very few articles if any were written in local hunting magazines about hunting with a lever action rifle , by far the most popular type of rifle in SA was the bolt action .
New lever actions were available in limited numbers from some gun shops but were relatively expensive so I had to be patient , eventually over the years I have managed to buy a few second hand that were affordable and now have five of them , I had six but had to sell a Winchester mod 94 Trapper in 44 mag to fund something else .
For some reason about ten years ago in South Africa lever actions suddenly became very popular , the demand caused gun dealers to import more and today I am happy to say that there are more lever actions in SA with quite a few being used for hunting .
The lever actions I own are as follows : Norinco .22 ( copy of Winchester 94 ) , Rossi Puma Mod 92 in 357 Mag , Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag , Marlin mod 30 ( 336 ) in 30-30 and a Marlin 1895 guide rifle in 45-70 ( Remlin ) .
I have hunted with the 357 mag , the 44 mag and 45-70 thus far , and have taken big Impala Rams with them , with any luck I will be hunting with the 30-30 this year .
I only hunt "walk and stalk" and the lever actions are well suited for this type of hunting , for me the challenge is to get as close as possible .
Myself and friend have done some load development for the lever actions with some great results , the only one I have yet to find an accurate load for is the 44 mag .
For what it is worth my friend is a firearms collector too and he has about fifty lever action rifles , many which are highly collectable , he is not a hunter and only shoots the rifles on the range .
What I have noticed on the animals I have shot with the lever actions is that meat damage is almost non existent if compared to high powered rifle calibers . ( obviously )
I am 55 this year and look forward to many more years of walk & stalk with my lever actions , God willing !

I must say I really love the look of the classic Winchester 94. I have been looking for a 30-30 here in SA to use in the thick Limpopo bush for pigs, but sadly they are like hens teeth.

@flatwater bill ... Totally with you on your sentiments about the 99. If/when I make it back I want to take one of mine for plains game.

@Paul Raley ... I am 55 as well and I hope to do a whole lot yet as well.

I am still hoping some of the outfitters will chime in with how often clients show up with lever actions. Perhaps I needed a much more provocative title to get them to click on the thread. :S Boobs::unsure::p

50 B&M Alaskans................ .500 caliber.................

DSC_0007-L.jpg
DSC04866-X2.jpg
DSC05790-X2.jpg
DSCN8159-X3.jpg
DSCN8184-X3.jpg
IMG_2081-X3.jpg
IMG_2069a-X3.jpg

Yeah, I like Lever guns too..................

Last edited by a moderator:
Love my Marlin 336XLR in .338 Marlin Express!! Have shot lots of game with that beast. does not latter if its 50 yards or 300 it has never failed me. Those 200 gr pack a punch even on big game in 2019 we took 3 giraffes with it and one was a big bull about twice the size of mine here. She has taken a few elk and lots of hogs. Its going to be hard leaving her at home for this years Africa trip going to take my new Christiansen Travers in 300PRC.

d.jpg
f.jpeg
fff.jpeg
thumbnail (3)fff.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!