Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Hi All,
Just finished up a Scout Scope project for my buddy's Ruger Alaskan in 416 Ruger. He and I are hunting plains game next year in SA, then he's heading to Zim for Cape Buffalo with me tagging along with a camera and this will be the rifle he uses for the Buff.
Leupold has offered Scout Scopes in the past such as the fixed power FX II 2.5 X 28mm but really nothing to get overly excited about. According to Leupold that is about to change!
For 2015 they are adding a VX-R 1.5 - 5 X 33mm Scout Scope to their standard line. They have been building a handful of these by special order only through their custom shop up to this point, which is where this one came from. It is based on their VX-R 2-7x33 with added eye relief and reduced magnification. The standard reticle is Leupold's Fire Dot. This one has the Ballistic Fire Dot.
My reaction was, finally an off the shelf Scout Scope for Dangerous Game. Especially for those of us who's eyes are aging and no longer work as well as they used to with open sights, particularly in low light, here's a great option. The field of view is wide open, it gathers light very well, has an illuminated reticle and gives you a little extra magnification if you need it for a longer shot. Oh yeah, and Leupold durability. Seems like a winner to me.
As you can see from the pics below, the mounts are Leupold's machinable gunsmith bases with quick detach levers. The bases are machined to match the barrel contour and attached with screws. The forward base uses the existing tapped holes from the factory rear sight and the rear base is mounted via the addition of 2 additional tapped holes. The quick detach lever system allows removal of the scope and access to the open sights, a peep rear and standard Ruger front in this case, in just a couple seconds.
Throw on a MGM SwitchView for rapid magnification adjustment and I think we're ready to go!
Here's the end result.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

That certainly is eye relief.

Like the VXR with IR.

Ruger/Leupold..... nice combination.

Thanks Wheels :) Really happy with how it turned out. A lot like shooting a red dot. Very quick target acquisition and some magnification if you want it.
I'm very impressed with scope itself. As you might expect, another very nice product from Leupold.

Hallo Ida, this is excellent news , I really will purchase the same scout scope to mount on my .375 H&H Cogswell& Harrison scout rifle...I did start a conversation with you in this regards...please be so kind as to upload close up photos of the scout scope rings and mounts if possible? This scout scope /rifle configuration will be used to shoot big bore competitions that is starting to get big in South Africa...

Gert

Hi Gert! I'm glad the above post may be useful to you :) I will dig up some pics and info and post up the information you've requested. It may take me a day or two, but I will get back to you! Here's some quick preliminary information:
I was told by Leupold that they intend to make this scout scope a standard item for 2015. Up to now it has only been available as a special order from their custom shop.
The mounts and rings are the Leupold Gunsmith bases and rings. The do require gunsmithing for installation. From the pics you PM'd me it looks they should work very well for your application. I'll get back to you soon.

OK Gert, here's a little more info. As I feared, I don't have any more photos of the bases aside from the ones posted above on the rifle. However this gun belongs to one of my best friends and I can get him to take a couple pics and email them to me. He is deer hunting until next Tuesday, so have to wait 'til he gets back.
In the meanwhile here's some links and a couple pics off the web.

image.jpg

As you can see, the bases must be drilled and counter-bored for screws or dovetailed, etc. for mounting to the firearm.

image.jpg

The rings attach via the "posts" shown in the pic above. They just drop right in the holes in the bases and lock in place with the levers. Very solid system and quick on and off.
It looks like the bases would mount very nicely to the quarter rib on your barrel by drilling and tapping the rib and screwing down to the rib. You may also be able to machine dovetails into the rib and bases. Not sure if there is room for that or enough material on the bases. You would probably need to get the bases first and then decide what the best option is.

Here is a link to the bases available through MidwayUSA. These are available directly from Leupold but I couldn't find them on their website.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/72...ase-scope-base-blank-steel-gloss-package-of-2

Let me know if I have provided enough info or if you need anything more. And best wishes with this project (y) Make sure to post some pics and a report when you're done!

Oops, forgot to mention, I have the Leupold part numbers at work. I will get them tomorrow and PM them to you. Hopefully that will make identifying and ordering the items easier.

IdaRam she looks great! The 416 Ruger will do the job! I put the VX 6 on mine and loved it. Sounds like the new additions will work well. Leupold does build a great scope! Hope you and your friend take a nice Buff!
image.jpg

Hi CAustin, thank you for the kind words and wishes for our hunt :)
That is an excellent Buff my friend! I hope we have the same good fortune you did. Past the 1 year mark and counting down... Can't wait :D

Ida
Thank you kindly for the response and information regarding the scope mounts/rings, I really think it is going to work splendidly on my v-express sight, I did complete the plunger for my 100 meter distance indicator to flip up and down...it works great, I will build /turn the second plunger tomorrow ...when this plunger is completed my .375 H&H Magnum scout rifle project will be completed, it took about two years....the final touches are left...I am glad to hear this new Leopold scout scope will be available in 2015 as a standard issue...maybe it will be possible to purchase it from America...thanks again...regards

Gert

My pleasure Gert, glad I could help. Here are the Leupold part numbers. They may be helpful should you decide to order in the future.
#91521 VX-R 1.5 - 5 X 33mm Scout Scope
#51717 QR 30mm Rings - Low, Matte
#50065 Gunsmith QR Bases (2)

Thank you Ida, I will make use of this info.I completed the plungers today, the 100 meter and 200 meter distance indicators is flipping up and down nicely...the plungers are keeping it under spring tension ....now I need only to zero the rifle on 100 meters and file the distance indicator blade to zero on 100 meters...the rifle has been zeroed on 50 meters with the standing distance indicator already...now I can commence with similar bases like the Leopold bases in your photos...I need the bases to be much smaller than the Leopold bases....otherwise I am going to tap and thread the pillars into the base of the v-express sight and secure the rings direct onto the base...it will ensure a extremely low positioned rifle scope....

This sounds like a really fun project! I bet you are excited to get it out in the field for it's first hunt :D I'm looking forward to seeing the first animal(s) you take with this set up, do you have anything specific in mind yet?
On the bases, Leupold makes them quite large with extra material for machining. They can be trimmed down quite small really. All that is needed is enough room to fit 2 screws through each base for mounting. I think you could machine them down to about 1" (25mm) long and probably about 1/4"(6-7mm) high. Don't know if that would be small enough or not.
Here are a couple pics I found on the web of what other people have done with the bases.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Where are you located, Gert? For some reason I guess I assumed you are in South Africa. Not sure if that's the case or not. I was just wondering how difficult it might be to get these items if you decide this is the way you want to go.
Best wishes!

Hallo Ida
Thank you, this set , the small ones are what I would like to have, I can definitely machine them down to the required size for securing them onto my v-express sight base...I am from South Africa, since these items do not fall in the ITAR regulations I will be able to get them shipped to South Africa...I really hope I can get the Scout scope shipped to my country as well...I am nearly finished with the .375 H&H Magnum Coggswell& Harrison scout rifle...fitting the bases and rings will be the next step...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg