Leupold VX-R for 375 H&H

dmyers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Canada,
I am now a proud owner of a Winchester model 70 Safari in 375. Its my dream rifle. Now have to think about a scope. I have a Leupold VX-R 2 x 7 for a 308 which I love for still-hunting white tails.. I like the red dot in the middle of the cross hairs. Very fast.

Anybody use the VX-R’s on their big guns? I plan on using the rig for Buffalo and plains game.

Any input would be welcome.

I am now a proud owner of a Winchester model 70 Safari in 375. Its my dream rifle. Now have to think about a scope. I have a Leupold VX-R 2 x 7 for a 308 which I love for still-hunting white tails.. I like the red dot in the middle of the cross hairs. Very fast.

Anybody use the VX-R’s on their big guns? I plan on using the rig for Buffalo and plains game.

I have a VX-R 2x7 on my 9.3x74r No. 1 and just swapped the 1.5 - 5 on my 375 H&H for another VX-R 2x7. I moved the low-power scope from the 375 to my No. 1 450/400. I really like the reticle in the VX-Rs. Have not shot anything with them yet. I thought a little higher power on the 375 would be useful for things like eland and brown bears, hopefully at a little more distance than buffalo. Not sure if I have any rifles left that I haven't swapped scopes on this year. Oh, my 300 win mag and my 22 hornet. The hornet is in line to have its Tasco replaced. The 300WM is ok. I need a couple days at the range to sight everything in.

Sorry, I haven’t used the VXR 2-7x, but I’ve had a couple of VX IIs in 2-7x and they worked excellent. I think you’ve made a good choice. Plenty of power for reasonable distance, yet low enough for quick, close range. The red dot reticle in my experience on a VX-6 1-6x works very well from buffalo to small night time critters.
Best of luck on your hunt!

I use the VXR 2x7x33 on my .375, worked great. Buffalo down with that combo!

Last edited:
Thanks- I have as I said a VX-R 2-7 on my Tikka light and it’s been a perfect rifle for how I hunt whitetails. But was not sure how they faired with bigger, heavier recoiling rifles.

Mine has a German or #4 reticle and i think its perfect, but it seems they may no longer offer it. Crosshairs are find with me too.

If any have any other recommendations for a versitile scope for the rifle, I’m all ears. Keeping in mind I have about $1000 to invest in the scope.

Thanks- I have as I said a VX-R 2-7 on my Tikka light and it’s been a perfect rifle for how I hunt whitetails. But was not sure how they faired with bigger, heavier recoiling rifles.

Mine has a German or #4 reticle and i think its perfect, but it seems they may no longer offer it. Crosshairs are find with me too.

If any have any other recommendations for a versitile scope for the rifle, I’m all ears. Keeping in mind I have about $1000 to invest in the scope.
A better answer for you than my previous post: I have run several boxes of 286 gr ammo through my 9.3x74r and the VX-R scope is holding up fine.

I have a VX-R 3x9 on my sako kodiak .375. I’ve been in three safaris with this rifle and had no problem

i used a VX6 1-6x24 on my Win M70 in 416 RM and i love the red dot for quick shooting!

-matt

Great idea. But all mine 375 and above are iron sighted

Have a VXR 2x7 on my .375 H&H several hundred rounds and no issues.

The VXR will do just fine. I have the 1.25x4 on my .458 Lott and it has held up well.

I like to think of the .375 as a do everything rifle, which means I want a do everything scope. I have a Zeiss HD5 2x10 on mine, and took the buffalo in my avatar with it.

Point being, your 375 can take 300 yard shots as easily as a .30/06, so scope it appropriately. If you'd take a 300 yard shot on 7x (I would) then the VXR is fine. If not, might want to rethink.

I have a vxr 2x7 on a 375 and it has worked well. No problems.

I have VX-R 3-9x40 on one of my 375’s and love it. I like a little extra top end on a 375 for longer work. But if I were using it as a DG rifle I would probably opt for a VX-6 1-6 with FD.
Cheers,
Cody

I have the VX-R 2x7 on my M70 375 H&H. works great. I will be using it for a Buff hunt this Sept.

I’m planning on putting something similar but I’ll look at 1-8 or 2-7 etc.

I think low power for fast snap targeting.
I think the red dot is great.

dmyers said:

You can still get the Firedot 4 Reticle through the Leupold Custom Shop. I have a 2-7 VX-R with the Firedot 4 I purchased when said reticle was still a standard option. It may not be worth the extra cost to some but it would be to me have the Custom Shop install a Firedot 4. I’m a German #4 freak though.

Thanks For the Advice! I’m a 200 yards and under shooter so now I have to decide if I want to be able to go to 1x on low end and give up some top end power of be ok with 2x. I think I’m OK with 2X on low end though. Thanks all for the feedback.

I have one of the last New Haven model 70 375's out of their custom shop and I put the fire dot duplex VX-R on it for buffalo and lion. Extremely happy with it. Rugged scope with very decent glass for the money. Slowly converting every rifle Imown to VX-Rs and VX-6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.