Leupold VX-R for 375 H&H

dmyers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Canada,
I am now a proud owner of a Winchester model 70 Safari in 375. Its my dream rifle. Now have to think about a scope. I have a Leupold VX-R 2 x 7 for a 308 which I love for still-hunting white tails.. I like the red dot in the middle of the cross hairs. Very fast.

Anybody use the VX-R’s on their big guns? I plan on using the rig for Buffalo and plains game.

Any input would be welcome.

I am now a proud owner of a Winchester model 70 Safari in 375. Its my dream rifle. Now have to think about a scope. I have a Leupold VX-R 2 x 7 for a 308 which I love for still-hunting white tails.. I like the red dot in the middle of the cross hairs. Very fast.

Anybody use the VX-R’s on their big guns? I plan on using the rig for Buffalo and plains game.

I have a VX-R 2x7 on my 9.3x74r No. 1 and just swapped the 1.5 - 5 on my 375 H&H for another VX-R 2x7. I moved the low-power scope from the 375 to my No. 1 450/400. I really like the reticle in the VX-Rs. Have not shot anything with them yet. I thought a little higher power on the 375 would be useful for things like eland and brown bears, hopefully at a little more distance than buffalo. Not sure if I have any rifles left that I haven't swapped scopes on this year. Oh, my 300 win mag and my 22 hornet. The hornet is in line to have its Tasco replaced. The 300WM is ok. I need a couple days at the range to sight everything in.

Sorry, I haven’t used the VXR 2-7x, but I’ve had a couple of VX IIs in 2-7x and they worked excellent. I think you’ve made a good choice. Plenty of power for reasonable distance, yet low enough for quick, close range. The red dot reticle in my experience on a VX-6 1-6x works very well from buffalo to small night time critters.
Best of luck on your hunt!

I use the VXR 2x7x33 on my .375, worked great. Buffalo down with that combo!

Last edited:
Thanks- I have as I said a VX-R 2-7 on my Tikka light and it’s been a perfect rifle for how I hunt whitetails. But was not sure how they faired with bigger, heavier recoiling rifles.

Mine has a German or #4 reticle and i think its perfect, but it seems they may no longer offer it. Crosshairs are find with me too.

If any have any other recommendations for a versitile scope for the rifle, I’m all ears. Keeping in mind I have about $1000 to invest in the scope.

Thanks- I have as I said a VX-R 2-7 on my Tikka light and it’s been a perfect rifle for how I hunt whitetails. But was not sure how they faired with bigger, heavier recoiling rifles.

Mine has a German or #4 reticle and i think its perfect, but it seems they may no longer offer it. Crosshairs are find with me too.

If any have any other recommendations for a versitile scope for the rifle, I’m all ears. Keeping in mind I have about $1000 to invest in the scope.
A better answer for you than my previous post: I have run several boxes of 286 gr ammo through my 9.3x74r and the VX-R scope is holding up fine.

I have a VX-R 3x9 on my sako kodiak .375. I’ve been in three safaris with this rifle and had no problem

i used a VX6 1-6x24 on my Win M70 in 416 RM and i love the red dot for quick shooting!

-matt

Great idea. But all mine 375 and above are iron sighted

Have a VXR 2x7 on my .375 H&H several hundred rounds and no issues.

The VXR will do just fine. I have the 1.25x4 on my .458 Lott and it has held up well.

I like to think of the .375 as a do everything rifle, which means I want a do everything scope. I have a Zeiss HD5 2x10 on mine, and took the buffalo in my avatar with it.

Point being, your 375 can take 300 yard shots as easily as a .30/06, so scope it appropriately. If you'd take a 300 yard shot on 7x (I would) then the VXR is fine. If not, might want to rethink.

I have a vxr 2x7 on a 375 and it has worked well. No problems.

I have VX-R 3-9x40 on one of my 375’s and love it. I like a little extra top end on a 375 for longer work. But if I were using it as a DG rifle I would probably opt for a VX-6 1-6 with FD.
Cheers,
Cody

I have the VX-R 2x7 on my M70 375 H&H. works great. I will be using it for a Buff hunt this Sept.

I’m planning on putting something similar but I’ll look at 1-8 or 2-7 etc.

I think low power for fast snap targeting.
I think the red dot is great.

dmyers said:

You can still get the Firedot 4 Reticle through the Leupold Custom Shop. I have a 2-7 VX-R with the Firedot 4 I purchased when said reticle was still a standard option. It may not be worth the extra cost to some but it would be to me have the Custom Shop install a Firedot 4. I’m a German #4 freak though.

Thanks For the Advice! I’m a 200 yards and under shooter so now I have to decide if I want to be able to go to 1x on low end and give up some top end power of be ok with 2x. I think I’m OK with 2X on low end though. Thanks all for the feedback.

I have one of the last New Haven model 70 375's out of their custom shop and I put the fire dot duplex VX-R on it for buffalo and lion. Extremely happy with it. Rugged scope with very decent glass for the money. Slowly converting every rifle Imown to VX-Rs and VX-6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois