Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Life Member, NRA Life member, NAHC Life member, Oregon Hunter Ass'n
Hunted
USA, RSA,Zimbabwe,Canada
Last year, one week before my first trip to South Africa, the scope on my 340 Weatherby Fibremark Mark V suddenly failed. The sights would not group ANY rounds. Panic set in!

I purchased the rifle and scope new in 1983, and the rifle has a substantial recoil, so I figured I had just discovered the life of a compact scope! I live about an hour's drive from the Cabelas store just out of Reno, so I called them up and they told me I could get a new scope and have it mounted that day. Off I went!

I looked at a variety of scopes and finally settled on the relatively new VX-R with new Leupold mounts. The salesperson, and the gun library personnel felt this would be an excellent scope for my needs. I had the scope mounted, and headed home for sighting in.

The scope has good eye relief ( a necessity for this caliber) and the sight-in went smoothly.

I took the rifle to Africa, and it performed well with this scope. I took ten plains game animals at ranges up to 400 yards, and only one took a second shot. The optics are very clear, and the light gathering capability is quite good. The red "BallisticDot" worked very good in low light. I was shooting factory loaded 250 grain Noslers, and the recoil did not affect the scope hitting point throughout the hunt. The ballistic reticule seemed to be very accurate, as determined by the results. I expect this scope to last me through the rest of my hunting days! ( I'm almost 67)

I used the same rifle this year, with the same results. I am very pleased with this scope. One warning: carry a couple of extra batteries. They are hard to find in South Africa, and the on/off switch is quite sensitive. I took the battery out at night as I had one battery failure due to this.

I have a VX-R in 1.25-4 on my .416 Rigby. I've put quite a few shots now down that tube and it's doing fine. Glad you like yours, easily the best buy for an illuminated reticle out there.

Great scopes and a a really good price!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg