roverandbrew

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
United States, South Africa, Zambia
I am looking to purchase another plains game / North American big game scope for my Highland Stalker in .275. Most likely it will be used between 50 and 250 yards. I have a Leupold VX-3I 3.5-10x40 on my CZ in 30-06 and have had no issues. I am curious if the step up in cost with the vSwarovski Z3 3-10x42 has a commensurate step up in performance. Any real world experience with both?

Last edited:
I’d give a slight edge to the Swarovski. My best low light scope is on my highland stalker, a trijicon 3-9x42. It is even brighter than my Swaro Z6 and Z8’s.

Not the exact scope comparison bit I believe the Swarovski will be clearer.

The Swarovski is incrementally better. With optics, on the low end if you spend double you probably get double. But once you get to the high end, you can spend double for a 5 to 10% improvement.

But you need to put a Swarovski or equivalent on that Highland Stalker;)

If it’s a choice between the Leupold and the Swarovski I’d go with the Swarovski.
However ! I recently purchased a Meopta R2, 1.7-10x42.30mm tube, illuminated reticle. First impressions are very good. Had it out in the field on Friday and was well impressed with the clarity and performance coming up to dusk.

do you need 10x on a 7x57?
i think not.
the style of rifle is better suited to the lowest mounted scope possible.
which brings to the fore the leupold 2.5 - 8.
the added beauty of 8x max magnification is that you do not have to worry about parallax adjustment.
10x, without the parallax adjusted properly will actually make things worse.
adjusting parallax in the field is all but impossible as you need the rifle in a solid rest to do it.
it is easy to get off on a perception of better optics at the expense of reality.
bruce.

do you need 10x on a 7x57?
i think not.
the style of rifle is better suited to the lowest mounted scope possible.
which brings to the fore the leupold 2.5 - 8.
the added beauty of 8x max magnification is that you do not have to worry about parallax adjustment.
10x, without the parallax adjusted properly will actually make things worse.
adjusting parallax in the field is all but impossible as you need the rifle in a solid rest to do it.
it is easy to get off on a perception of better optics at the expense of reality.
bruce.

agree here - the 2.5 x 8 would be perfect.

But if you've already got the 3.5x10 there's no need to reinvent the wheel. your rifle or the animal won;t know the difference

I went with the 3-9x36mm Swarovski for my HS in .275. It's mounted on the Mauser Hexalock mount. Here's a picture for reference as to how it looks. I also vote for the Z3 line over the VX3 line.
96FE0303-CA72-482D-BCFB-5D8094B105AE.jpeg

I went with the 3-9x36mm Swarovski for my HS in .275. It's mounted on the Mauser Hexalock mount. Here's a picture for reference as to how it looks. I also vote for the Z3 line over the VX3 line.
View attachment 398915
That settles Bruce argument a Swaro 3-9x36 and we can all compromise and be heard.

I find the Z3 is slightly brighter than the VX3. Is it worth 80% more $$$? Goimg forward, rather than spending the Z3 money, I think I’d rather spend an additional $200-$400 and get a Trijicon or Leupold Vx5 or 6 or Zeiss V4.

You are only talking out to 250 yards-I don’t think you will notice The difference 90% of the time. But I do love to spend other people’s money so get the Swarovski. . .

leupold 2 -7 is worthy of consideration here as well.
if you are in the real world that is.
bruce.
Bruce, it's not our money mate.

Remember, we are all enablers here. When in doubt we confide in our peers of this site and ask their approval to justify a much needed purchase.

I live on a Leupold budget. Envious of my freinds Swarovski.

If only I could have just one, I wouldn't want anymore. It would be the last time, I promise.

It would make my life complete.

Shucks,who am I kidding?
I like things shiny and pretty, I cant go down the main St without something catching my eye. It doesn't need to be a gunshop to go window shopping. So many things that could get costly if you just had one.

View attachment 398915
I appreciate the picture. Thanks For your insight.

You are only talking out to 250 yards-I don’t think you will notice The difference 90% of the time. But I do love to spend other people’s money so get the Swarovski. . .
I have never owned a SwarovskI.
Bruce, it's not our money mate.

Remember, we are all enablers here. When in doubt we confide in our peers of this site and ask their approval to justify a much needed purchase.

I live on a Leupold budget. Envious of my freinds Swarovski.

If only I could have just one, I wouldn't want anymore. It would be the last time, I promise.

It would make my life complete.

Shucks,who am I kidding?
I like things shiny and pretty, I cant go down the main St without something catching my eye. It doesn't need to be a gunshop to go window shopping. So many things that could get costly if you just had one.

Thanks for the assist. I agree it’s not your money. It’s mine. I was asking the question because I have never owned a scope that nice and was looking for insight if the increase in clarity was proportional to the increase in price over the Leupold. I value the opinion of others. Like my Rigby I would have to prioritize, budget, and save for the optic. I saved over twenty years to own a Rigby. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross