Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I was going to send off a VX6 scope to have the elevation locking dial installed when I read that the Leupold Custom Shop is closed. The website says it is due to Oregon virus regs. What a disappointment!
Anyone else in the same boat?

I brought a PHs scope back in 2019 and it was closed then. I called and was told it will reopen but ….. they decided not to, no margins in it for them.

I’m really disappointed in Leupold. They just dropped from a tier one manufacturer to a tier two in my book.

I brought a PHs scope back in 2019 and it was closed then. I called and was told it will reopen but ….. they decided not to, no margins in it for them.

I’m really disappointed in Leupold. They just dropped from a tier one manufacturer to a tier two in my book.
If there is no market for what they were offering why keep something open and paying wages to have technicians waiting for work?

As long as the repair side stays open it's all the vast majority need.

Sport optics are a very competitive field and I think Leupold has been using their historical namesake to keep them above water for too long - quality has suffered for a decade or more now (particularly with mushy unreliable adjustments). The loss of Nikon would normally mean Leupold picks up the additional market share, but Vortex has just been killing it out there; I would think Vortex is Leupold's #1 competitor. Vortex offers a tremendous value for the money with the Diamondback being, frankly, better than the VX2 and consumers have to make a decision regarding whether it's worth the upcharge for the VX3. Then of course you have the Viper competing in that $400-500 range.

I think the custom shop suffered from both lack of market and margins. The primary reason to have the custom shop was to make long range tactical scopes. Well they are not the only game in town doing that now and some reviews for the VX5/6 were not that good.

I think leupold is moving in the right direction with the new vx3-HD zero lock as long as consumers don't find it too confusing. I must say it took me over an hour to figure out how to make a down adjustment... :Wacky:

Last edited:
Would you happen to know if they're doing regular repair stuff? My brother destroyed a vx 1 I lent him. Thanks
Yes they are doing repairs.

It wasn’t lack of market, it was lack of margins.
I don’t buy that. They can just raise the price and do what ever amount of work they choose to. These will be the same techs doing repairs.
It is a shame either way. I’ll just have to buy a new scope instead of upgrading this one. And it will be a Swaro not Leupold!
Philip

Ive been waiting on warranty for replacement rangefinder since April…

Ryan

Have you contacted them recently? Was the rangefinder within it's warranty period?

From what I understand Leopold electronics are only warranted for a certain time period.

Have you contacted them recently? Was the rangefinder within it's warranty period?

From what I understand Leopold electronics are only warranted for a certain time period.
I have several times, most recently in October. Its was just out of the 2 year warranty period… offered a replacement or upgrade for a reasonable fee. Either way, all their electronics come from overseas and the supply chain hasn’t caught up with parts, pieces and logistics, so I was told.

And the wait continues…

How much do their marketing campaign$ command?? 'Heard through the rumor mill that writing Custom Made for Jim Shockey on everything wore out their tooling and budget; but, that's just what i heard! :p

i got binos back after about 6 weeks and turrets/dials were about the same i guess. CDS was about a year ago...Feb 2020 and binos was last summer.

I had to wait on a replacement pistol scope after I sent a 40 year old one in for repair. I got a free replacement as soon as they were available. I was sad to see the custom shop closed as I had a couple of scopes I wanted to upgrade.

I love Leupold scopes but times are changing. Nightfiorce is my "bet my life on" optic.

That is sad but it does not surprise me. They changed the looks of the beloved VX3 line so it looks like a cheap "wanna-be tacticool" scope. The original VX3 line and even the VX3i are elegant scopes. Now they are blocky and have pepper mill grinder turrets. For those that like/need/want the Hubble telescope on their rifles, the are many better, and in some cases less expensive options available.

Safe shooting and Happy Christmas

That is sad but it does not surprise me. They changed the looks of the beloved VX3 line so it looks like a cheap "wanna-be tacticool" scope. The original VX3 line and even the VX3i are elegant scopes. Now they are blocky and have pepper mill grinder turrets. For those that like/need/want the Hubble telescope on their rifles, the are many better, and in some cases less expensive options available.

Safe shooting and Happy Christmas
For me it is VX5 & VX6 for most rifles. I know what you mean in that something is always changing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!