Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation,
Hunted
Canada, USA, Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Mozambique
While sorting through some files I came across this letter that I wrote to our newly elected PM in response to the crazy protests over the Africa Hunting Shows that were making their rounds through our country early in the year. As a hunting community, I feel that if we each take the initiative to further our cause/passion, it may have more effect than simply signing a form letter or an online petition. [Our neighbors to the south will have to wait to see who their new leader will be]. We can't expect anybody to fight our battles for us, we have to take up "the pen" ourselves "en masse". Just my thoughts.

Dear Prime Minister Trudeau,

I am writing this letter as a pro-active measure; I am sure that the anti-hunting activists will be approaching you and your cabinet sometime in the future with their ill-informed and inflammatory agenda in response to the unfortunate sensationalization of the “Cecil” incident in Zimbabwe last year. This note is written specifically in respect to “trophy” hunting; lately this term has become a pejorative! It could not be farther from the truth. The only difference between a meat hunter and a trophy hunter is that the trophy hunter utilizes the entire animal.

Perhaps a more accurate and descriptive term would be: “selective” hunter. Typically a trophy (read selective) hunter is motivated by the challenge of a long/interesting stalk and chase of his/her quarry. This generally limits the hunter to pursuing the oldest and most wary of game which, typically is past its prime and has long since passed on its genes. A meat hunter will generally attempt a stalk on the first legal animal that is identified, whether it be young or old. By taking a younger animal, the hunter will not know if that animal was the possessor of the superior genes of its progenitor or of a weaker animal that will later pass on its genetics.

I have hunted Africa 6 times and am by no means considered “wealthy”. The anti-hunting community would like people to believe all trophy hunters are rich elitists. I have seen the benefits of “trophy” hunting in Africa personally. In each safari camp there are usually 10-20 of the indigenous peoples working, and they are happy to be employed. These people are also the beneficiaries of most the meat, as well as the tips and gifts the tourist hunter will bring with him/her. When larger animals are taken, nearby villages are enlisted to cut up and salvage the meat. I must tell you that when butchering is finished, there is not much left for even the vultures and jackals! The safari outfitter is tasked with ensuring that the concession they oversee has anti-poaching patrols. African countries do not have the resources to do this; they have enough problems keeping their national parks safe! I also find it interesting that wild animals are willing to take chances in areas where they are hunted as opposed to being molested daily by vans of tourists with cameras. Specifically I am referencing the Serengeti; there seems to be more game outside the park than inside due to the high volume of Eco-tourists within the confines of this park. Areas bordering this park are hunted, and it is in these areas devoid of tourists where one may experience the “real” Africa.

I hunt because that is who I am. Even though my father hunted, he never taught me or took me along on his hunts. It was something primal and instinctual that I took up as a youth, developing my skills over time. As a selective hunter, I hunt for the experience and memories and personally am not that interested in bringing a physical trophy home with me. Although I do have some African trophies, they are not essential in my decisions when planning a hunting safari. As long as Africa permits hunting, I will hunt Africa regardless of external sanctions and/or restrictions.

So far, CITES has done a reasonable job in controlling the quotas and hunt-ability of species around the globe. I believe that they rely on science, not emotion and public opinion when formulating their recommendations, rulings and designations of imperilment. That is all I as a “trophy” hunter, ask. Please do not be fooled by the “hateful” anti-hunting rhetoric, they only seem interested in vilification and sensationalism. I have no desire to hunt an animal that is indeed, endangered.

Kindest regards...

Well written Sir.

Nice. Did you get a response?

A fine letter sir!

Nice. Did you get a response?
No, sorry to say I did not. I was kind of expecting at least an acknowledgement from his office (I provided an email address), but no such luck. You never know the leanings of the actual "letter opener". We must also expect that each countries' leader gets hundreds, if not more, correspondences daily.

Staffer reads it. In the US, you'll often get a form response - maybe even an electronic signature from the office holder - thanking you for your interest in ....... fill in the blank. Not altogether satisfying.

Staffer reads it. In the US, you'll often get a form response - maybe even an electronic signature from the office holder - thanking you for your interest in ....... fill in the blank. Not altogether satisfying.

same here but with the Liberals in power I wouldn't expect even a form letter. The Liberals look at hunters and shooters like something stuck to the bottom of their shoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg