Letter of Invitation needed for bows in South Africa?

ColoradoHunter

Reaction score
Is a letter of invitation needed if you are only taking bows to RSA, or is it just required to get rifles into the country? My buddies are both gun hunting and have received their letters from our outfitter, I have not. Thanks

That's a great question. Depends on how the bow is handled when reaches Tambo International Airport. If it ends up with the guns. They will probably ask for the letter. It also depends if your PH is picking you up at the airport. If he is, then it will be straightened out by the PH.

Thanks for the reply. We are getting picked up by the outfitter, but it will be in Kimberley after a connecting flight..... my buddies both have there letters. We all corresponded with the outfitter at the same time about the letters and he emailled me back to verify that I would only be bringing bows. All the research I've done only talks about the letter for Firearms, nothing about bows. I've emailed the outfitter, but I know when he's out at some of his hunting grounds he's tough to get hold of.

I got one in hand just to make certain the folks at customs had a valid reason for me to be in the country with my bow. Just in case.

I guess we will both see shortly if our pieces of paper will work.

I've never had an issue with a bow at OR Tambo in Jo'berg. Your bow case comes out through the oversize/fragile luggage door near the regular baggage carousel. You pick it up and go.....

I had my bow deliberately given to the firearms dept (to avoid silly questions and delays caused by the 'normal luggage' staff, you know),
and I just had to open the case for a quick glance if the content really is 'weapon-like goods', and that was it.
No problem at all at OR Tambo or Richards Bay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you