Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I admit it, I am a bit besotted with doubles at the moment. Every time I open AH the eyes go straight to the latest posts to see if there is something related to double rifles, and when there is the heart races a bit. You see, I am a romantic, not a lady romantic, but a hunting romantic. That grand age when you got to where you needed to by ship and rail, you dressed for dinner and paid attention to etiquette. That age when one thought, dreamt and imagined in the time one had to do so.
So why, I ask, should we not still fulfill all the senses when we engage in this noble pursuit of hunting? And the answer, to me at least and I hope all of you will be - why not indeed!
To me there is no more profound an epitome of that pursuit than a double rifle, open sights, getting in really close as was meant to be where a duff shot could result in a ride on horns. Highly unlikely to happen given the two barrels as the insurance intended, but should it happen we would remember you well.
So what is it that prompts you to spend the asking price on a double and wait the age for it's delivery? What is the driver for you?

I admit it, I am a bit besotted with doubles at the moment. Every time I open AH the eyes go straight to the latest posts to see if there is something related to double rifles, and when there is the heart races a bit. You see, I am a romantic, not a lady romantic, but a hunting romantic. That grand age when you got to where you needed to by ship and rail, you dressed for dinner and paid attention to etiquette. That age when one thought, dreamt and imagined in the time one had to do so.
So why, I ask, should we not still fulfill all the senses when we engage in this noble pursuit of hunting? And the answer, to me at least and I hope all of you will be - why not indeed!
To me there is no more profound an epitome of that pursuit than a double rifle, open sights, getting in really close as was meant to be where a duff shot could result in a ride on horns. Highly unlikely to happen given the two barrels as the insurance intended, but should it happen we would remember you well.
So what is it that prompts you to spend the asking price on a double and wait the age for it's delivery? What is the driver for you?

You are a romantic in the original sense of the word, and we love you for it Kevin!

For me personally your enthusiasm brings an additional ray of light in sometimes all to real and difficult times.

The reasons you espoused on the craving for a double rifle are very much in line with mine. A search for the simpler times, when a word was a word, a handshake meant something and a tool was one made to perfection for both its intended use as well as its user.

A thing of beauty that one can fondle and attempt to master.

Kevin, do you have any 89 photos?
wax.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, Kevin. I love that we speak the same language differently. I look forward to tons of photos from you! ;-)

I hope, one day, I might secure a double. It would most likely require the selling of my bolt 404j and 375 h&h. But, one day. Maybe. Otherwise, I enjoy our forum's owners and their doubles. Please keep them coming.

John

For me it was simple. I've duck hunted with a double of one sort or another since 1985 yet I live in a state with a 140 day deer season so I would often times find myself in a boat with a double when the sun came up and in a tree with a bolt gun watching the sunset. I went to a deer double simply for the luxury of having the same loading and unloading motions, muscle memory and shot mentality from morning til evening and from day to day. It was a good decision.

I shot my Beretta .45-90 (.458 2.4) DR for the first time last weekend and it almost jumped out of my hands, a little more recoil than my .405 DR or maybe I was not holding it tight. Hope to blood it this month on Texas exotics. Will try to shoot it some at the range this weekend.
68569_600x400.jpg

As a youth of 22, I feel I may have a little different perspective than several of my contemporary counterparts. Growing up I always had a gun in hand or in sight. I have hunted since the age of 7 and have been a certifiable gun nut since. Some of the early books I read were Ruark, Roosevelt, and Hemingway. My grandfather taught me to hunt and has continued to go with me. He has had the privilege of 26 safaris. His stories enamored me from infancy. However, he always used a bolt rifle.
As I matured and began forming opinions of my own, I was captivated by the rugged simplicity of doubles. It offered the complex simplicity and nostalgic romanticism that we all yearn for. There are few ways to cheat when making a proper double. It requires the utmost attention and respect to age old traditions. It requires a true craftsman, not an assembler of black plastic. It is a labor of love and hand fitting- not torque wrenches and tactical gadgets.
Hunting dangerous game with a double made things exceptionally simple. You have a handcrafted tool that is built for a purpose. That purpose is to force you to use bushcraft and get close enough to shake hands with danger and be confident you were the better man. You must track and sneak into the jess within distances measured with feet, not yards. You must look something that out weighs a man 10-50 times square in the face and believe that you have the mental fortitude, intestinal mettle, and muscle memory to best them on their home turf at their own game.
A double adds a bit of class and charm to the affair. Rather than use the conventional and common, use the specific tool of a proper gentleman. It transforms the experience from a routine contest to a proper duel between man and beast. It gives the animal a fair shake. A double is simply a sign of classy respect for tradition and honest hunting. Cheating with a double is impossible. While a 200 yards shot is doable, although not advisable, with a bolt rifle it is detestable and nearly impossible with a double. Doubles make the affair like wing shooting quail, a gentleman’s affair. If one’s goal was to simply kill his quarry, why not shoot them off the roost or grab them out of the pen and wring their neck? Hardly sporting in my book.
A double forces us to embrace the tradition and adds respect to the animal and his ways. It offers classy cartridges who belong to the fraternity of “Nitro Express” and an empire of two persuading cartridges the size of cigars. It forces one to slow down and make the first shot count and hold the second in reserve. To me a double is the epitome of class, rugged grace, and honest hunting. This is what draws me to doubles.

Note- I have yet to hunt dangerous game but hope to do so soon. I have hunted plains game twice and have a lovely Heym 88 in 500 Nitro. Thanks for reading!

6E28E519-82ED-4FCD-B90C-3497FAB1C042.jpeg

I don’t own one (yet), but for me they are a physical objectification of ανδρεία. Similar to Scotch whisky, cigars, heavy literature and other such accoutrements- they require dedication and fortitude to master, and refinement to enjoy.

Or maybe I am full of bs, and they are just plain old school extravagance…reader’s choice. ;)

Could not agree more with Kevin. Double rifles have all the history of big game hunting from the early days. I had to have one to make my experience in Africa complete. Only thing I had to do differently is put a Trijicon RMR red dot sight on my Chapuis 375H&H double because my old eyes couldn't shoot accurately with the iron sights. It's a joy to hunt with and shoot and will be going back to Africa with me for the fourth time in July.

They are indeed wonderful things. Interestingly, though my favorite double shotguns come from the Golden Age of British and Continental gunmaking, my favorite double rifle was discontinued because its modern interpretation of the form was somehow offensive to many of today's gun writing class. I am referring to my Blaser S2.

I am of an age when an optical assist is necessary. The S2 represented a double choice where accommodating optics was considered a requirement rather than an afterthought. Its ergonomics are unique and I have never seen a more accurate double. I sight in on the right barrel and the left is never more than a few MOA off out to the PBR of the barrels in use. And yes, mine has 30-06, .375, and 500/416 barrels ready to go at a moments notice.

It has been to the wild Africa of coastal Mozambique where it killed buffalo and numerous plains game in both .375 and '06 livery. It, and all doubles, are indeed special things.

Zambezi Delta Slog

No, I do not recommend the "African carry," - note the sling - but I also do not recommend dragging a rifle through three foot deep liquid Zambezi Delta goo.

Could not agree more with Kevin. Double rifles have all the history of big game hunting from the early days. I had to have one to make my experience in Africa complete. Only thing I had to do differently is put a Trijicon RMR red dot sight on my Chapuis 375H&H double because my old eyes couldn't shoot accurately with the iron sights. It's a joy to hunt with and shoot and will be going back to Africa with me for the fourth time in July.
How about going one better? Use a single shot with another round between your fingers. That will really get the concentration and adrenaline pumping. I don't have a double but used to hunt with an old single barrel 12 guage and a couple extra rounds between my fingers.

How about going one better? Use a single shot with another round between your fingers. That will really get the concentration and adrenaline pumping. I don't have a double but used to hunt with an old single barrel 12 guage and a couple extra rounds between my fingers.
Hello all. Bit of a recent lurker turned new member.

I can certainly appreciate the single shot sentiment as that’s exactly how we hunt deer in our slug only state- single shot break action (the bow hunter in me just prefers getting closer). I can attest it does focus one.

Although I have certainly developed an unhealthy desire for a double rifle that once purchased should provide the tangible motivation and incentive to actually book my first safari.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ara6336349

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you