Less than 2 months to my first trip to africa

Texas gator

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
my first out of country hunt is fast approaching. Starting to get excited finally. Been planning this for over a year and it's fast approaching. We will be hunting South Africa Limpopo area late August to early September. Any tips for a first timer?

Best of luck! Look at the check list of items in the safaris planning section of this website. Make sure your passport and any gun permits are in order! Don't over pack, a few changes of clothes and 2 pair of boots is plenty. Enjoy! If you have a chance and the price is right, shoot an extra animal or two, you wont regret it later

Good luck , play safe and lots of pictures !..... take extra SD cards for your PH's game trail cameras .
Glen

Practice off of sticks with the exact gun and bullets you are taking. Once you are comfortable, try to go from carry to fire in 3 to 4 seconds. Look at Dr Robertson's shot placement book or the threads on here about shot placement. Take twice as many pictures as you think, Africa will awaken all your senses. Enjoy!

Keep a journal to refresh your memory for the well-illustrated hunt report you'll share with us on your return.

Get some practice shooting off the sticks.

I agree continue to practice off the shooting sticks and shoot a couple more of the affordable species. Even cull animals make interesting Euro mounts and they are cheap. Hunters are collectors and this will increase your collection. I try and keep as much of each animal as possible. All back hides, horns and skulls. After all your paying for it. I left a zebra skull over there not realizing that because i had chosen to have a rug made, they assumed i didnt want the skull. Stupid mistake.

Have fun.

Welcome to AH.

Wish you the best !

Welcome!

Take lots of pictures. Of everything. When you think you don't need to take a picture, take one.

Enjoy every second. There is only one first trip.

Like everyone else said Practice off sticks, practice shoot in and around trees, before our last safari I made a wood cutout of a 3/4 scale impala and had my wife shoot flat, uphill and down hill terrain. Through 6in openings. The advise on the daily log is a great one. If you can squeeze a extra day or two go on a photo trip to Kruger NAT Park. Take what africa gives you, you never know what will walk out while you are in the bush. If your PH and tracker eyes bulge and they get excited out looking at a critter, pay attention and shoot straight, shoot often, shoot more than you can afford and have a blast!!!

Texas Gator hang on and enjoy the ride! This is going to be the best hunt ever. Take lots of pictures. Shoot straight and listen to your PH.

Relax, take plenty of pictures, bring good binoculars and practice shooting a lot. It pays to spend a little time on AH and look through all the pictures everyone has posted. It will give you a better idea of what is a good trophy.

Damn, another guy ahead of me... The shame. Good luck on the trip and as others posted above, take many pics, and when you get back, write a detailed... I say again... Detailed hunting report. Those who are waiting there turn here are living vicariously through you so don't let us down! No pressure, right? Be safe, have a great time and use the sights or scope, no sighting down the barrel cause whatever animal your looking at you've never seen in real life. I say that laughingly as I did that when I was a kid bear hunting for the first time. Boy did I miss... My trip isn't going to be until next September soooo I have some time to slowly go insane. Cheers!

Sean

Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 2.46.20 PM.png

Make sure you just enjoy the experience. You can't do a"first safari" a second time. Take time to enjoy the people, their mannerisms, the food, and of course the scenery. It goes without saying that you will enjoy the hunt and the animals. Make time and pay attention to the little things!
I truly hope you have a great trip. AH has many answers to your questions and is an invaluable resource.
Regards,
Philip

Phillip,

AH is fantastic. The folks on here are first rate. Your post is spot on and thank you for the thoughts. I hope we have a great time too. There will be tons of videos and photos and we indeed try to capture everything that we can.

Enjoy your safari Texas gator. Look forward to your report when you return. Take daily notes so that you can refer back to them as each day becomes a blur. Who are you hunting with? and what species are on your wish list? Be warned, you will catch the disease.

Oops... First post was to Texas gator, My second above post I thought I was on my thread! Not Texas gators. Damn... Had two glasses of good scotch for the first time in months and look what happens. :whistle: Wait... Where am I? Wish you the best!

Note to self: no booze and iPad mixing.

Gator have a good time. Lots of good advice here. For sure don't over pack, shooting from sticks is a great idea,pics lots of them. I kept a journal both times it has been read many a time. Don't get to hung up on your animal list just let it happen. Paperwork square is important and don't forget to have your capes done deep so you have some options when mounting. I saw above a mention of getting it home invaluable advice. PM me if needed. Powder dry, shoot straight and enjoy every breath on the Dark Continent!!! Best of Luck you only do the first one once

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg