Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Ok, so we all know everything about hunting leopard, either by baiting, or somewhere where allowed by dogs.
The question is:
Has anybody shot leopard, on chance, during stalking other game? In broad daylight?
How often does that happen?

This was how they were commonly hunted before the scoped rifle era. They were just game of opportunity.

Possible? Certainly. Has it happened in recent years? Maybe. But I find it highly unlikely and quite risky. Even in a blind overlooking bait, time is taken to be absolutely certain the cat is male. And I think even in some countries, there is an age requirement now. So now we're talking even more time to evaluate the animal.

Can that happen in a chance encounter? Seems highly unlikely.

I am not aware of any areas that have unlimited leopard license? To my understanding they are highly regulated on a quota.

I don’t know any outfit that would leave a highly valued leopard permit to chance…

If your license includes leopard and your safari company has it on quota, they COULD allow you to shoot a leopard of opportunity. But why would they? And if they did have they done the work that would allow you to get a CITES permit to import a leopard trophy?

We have had two opportunities. One total miss. The other a lazy and very full leopard in a tree with its own impala kill.

Of course and it was with an unlikely firearm too. Big male cat:
53797_600x400.jpg

Big .458 rifle:
52608_600x400.jpg

Little story.
PAC hunt to test 45-70 and 45-90 on African PG and DG took Ele, Cape Buff, and Leopard.
Called about a big cat eating farmer goat in courtyard. Arrived and stalked cat, shot cat eating goat.
Took picture, departed to answer another such call about buff - shot several and one Ele.

Conclusion - old fashioned .45-90 is very deadly on problem animals of any size.
53772_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple years ago, I saw an email from a reputable booking agent trying to sell a tracking leopard hunt in Namibia. I don’t know the outfitter or PH that was being represented, but I’d think one of the few hunting this way.

I thought I saw a post on here of a big leopard people were baiting but ended up seeing it on the way to check a bait or something and shot it near the road. I will try to find it

Bucket list hunt right here

Bucket list hunt right here
Fact.

Ive heard a story of my late relative shooting a big male in the middle of the road. 2nd day of safari
This was Botswana in the mid 80's. Im sure they were a lot less strict in those days, but the hunting party could still tell it was a big male in the Daylight.

IMG_4152.jpg

One of the big guys I captured in daylight.

I have seen more Leopards in daylight in multiple countries than anyone can imagine. Including when I had a permit in hand.
@Ozondjahe Hunting Safaris, I saw multiple Leopards in daylight. I got one call during the day when a large male was calling as he patrolled his territory. I did not make it back in time to catch him. I would have gladly taken the opportunity.

I shot my first leopard on the ground in the daylight at 7:30 am. Was going to check a bait that had been getting hit by a big tom, and he was leisurely hanging out after getting his fill overnight. We both just stared at each other like wtf are you doing here. He wasn’t afraid of me at all - but I was the one with the 404.

Great thread, with that said I believe your opening statement to be a little "liberal" there are many that believe that they do know it all. (I believe that to be a better line, ;-) ;-) ;-) :)

Not looking to start an issue just being honest. I have had two incidents in what could be deemed as a very successful Leopard hunting career to date.

Both, in the Niassa Special Reserve.

The first we were driving along the Lugenda this river in some locations have several large "pans" (wet depressions almost like small marshes) a little way inland from the river. We were on our way to check baits (I did not have one in that area). When Joe (tracker) spotted, what he called a big Tom lying under a Sausage Tree (Kigelia Africana).
I was quite surprised as it was around 9:30 am, the day had started to warm up and most game movement had started to slow down already. On Joe's insistence continued past for around 200m, stopped the truck rifled up and started our way back along the road.
As we rounded the bend it was clear to see that this was truly a good, post prime cat he stood up and was now looking at us broadside with the "small" ears (age indicator) and dewlap clearly visible.

I splayed out the sticks and asked Heime to shoot, he made a perfect shot the cat leaped into the air growling and hit the ground 10 paces away. We were all in awe at how easily this had happened, this was day 2 of the safari and we had barely started hunting Leopard.

Needless to say, the day was spent celebrating this truly unique event.

The second Tom, I drove into a bait along a small tributary close to the Irangwe river, the last 25 meters we had to walk to the bank to get a visual of the bait on the opposite side as always when leaving the vehicle, we rifled up and as we approached the bank the Tom was standing in the tree feeding on the bait, I was fortunate enough to quickly identify the Tom as the one I had caught on trail Cam and the shot was taken off my shoulder at around 72 yards.

Another beautiful Tom in the salt. I would say that given the right conditions anything is possible, we do bump several cats a season either on foot or by vehicle, yet the opportunity to accurately age these cats often do not present itself.

I would argue that the higher density and lower hunting pressure of Leopard the better the odds of these chance encounters.
Daylight cat hunting on bait, depends on the two above, but also time of year and very importantly bait location, while there are exceptions to every rule there are always certain factors to consider that would increase the odds.

When opportunity knocks, I reckon we should go for it!! :cool:
Great thread! thanks for posting, I am a sucker for anything Leopard related.

My very best always.

Last edited:
I have had 2 opportunities but did not have a tag or it was a female. Both on working “farmland” property in Namibia. I will refrain from commenting on whether either survived. Lol.

I know of someone in Namibia earlier this year who saw 2 on the same hunt. The PH shot the male since he as the hunter didn't have a tag and couldn't transition to the female fast enough. It was also working farmland

I know of someone in Namibia earlier this year who saw 2 on the same hunt. The PH shot the male since he as the hunter didn't have a tag and couldn't transition to the female fast enough. It was also working farmland
I understand why livestock farmers do it to a degree and partially the problem is also caused by AR groups, and also I believe a lack of education from our side to livestock farmers, but for an PH to do this….I find this in terrible taste a complete and blithering idiot if you ask me.
He should be stripped of his license. Definitely not a professional hunter in the true sense of the word.
My best always.
Jaco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you