LEOPARD CANCELLATION HUNT SOUTH AFRICA

The USFWS pertains to all CITIES 1 and applies to S.A. Zim, Bots, Tanz, Zam, Moz and any other African coutry for that matter, S.A. has a pretty good rap on quick turn around time for Dip and pack and as long as it leaves the the country of origin within that particular year, and paper work is top notch.... If I interpret it correctly you should be good.

All Leopard potentials should double check this, including clients hunting elsewhere, S.A. has a very good Leopard population...... as TAP correctly states permits are issued Area or rather farm spesific, larger properties with good Leopard habitat and low hunting pressure are the ones to go for.

By my quick calculations if a $9800 rebate is offered if the cat is not taken, it boils down to a $480 per day x 14 days daily rate, the large or rather higher trophy fee... in my mind.... indicates and incentive for a leopard to be taken because the profit margin will be so much greater if the hunt goes well, From my knowledge you will not find a low daily rate like this anywhere in Africa on a Leopard hunt.

Let me say I do not know the outfitter, but just the way it has been put together looks better than most, ie. lower daily rate high trophy fee........ It is a bargain yes maybe because it is a cancelation hunt....

I think posting a warning on every Leopard hunt offered.... or ones from SA.... due to the USFWS silly loop hole attempt which pertains to Africa in its totality is a pretty rough call to make, it places the outfitter in a shadow of doubt which I think is unfair. If an outfitter has a credible track record and does honest buisiness surely he can not be hammered for that.

My best always.

I would have to agree with Jaco. The USFWS is a huge problem. The outfitter is offering a chance at leopard hunting...fair enough.

The USFWS pertains to all CITIES 1 and applies to S.A. Zim, Bots, Tanz, Zam, Moz and any other African coutry for that matter, S.A. has a pretty good rap on quick turn around time for Dip and pack and as long as it leaves the the country of origin within that particular year, and paper work is top notch.... If I interpret it correctly you should be good.

Those are the IF's everyone (US) is worried about. Perhaps the reason for the cancellation in the first place!?

By my quick calculations if a $9800 rebate is offered if the cat is not taken, it boils down to a $480 per day x 14 days daily rate, the large or rather higher trophy fee... in my mind.... indicates and incentive for a leopard to be taken because the profit margin will be so much greater if the hunt goes well, From my knowledge you will not find a low daily rate like this anywhere in Africa on a Leopard hunt.

This way is a very fair way of offering the hunting fees. The outfitter certainly has some motivation to get the job done for sure.

I think posting a warning on every Leopard hunt offered.... or ones from SA.... due to the USFWS silly loop hole attempt which pertains to Africa in its totality is a pretty rough call to make, it places the outfitter in a shadow of doubt which I think is unfair. If an outfitter has a credible track record and does honest buisiness surely he can not be hammered for that.

The hunters from the US are in that shadow and by extension every outfitter. Leopard, Crocs and Elephants seem to be the chosen targets, no matter the country of origin.
It is the very real possibility of having an expensive trophy confiscated or having to pay for reshipping it back to be housed in South Africa in storage for an indeterminate period all due to an agency interpretation.

Very important info here, I posted in reply to TAP the same way I poted in reply to your quote from Safari lawyer brickburn, and the point was simple it is not only SA, that has this issue it stared with trophy shipments seizures (sp.) from Zim.

Still believe if trophies were to leave country of origin and enter country of destination in this case the US in the same year as the hunt was conducted in that all should be fine....( my interpretation)

You are also making some valid points although I must admit that reputable outfitters can not be held accountable here. USFWS should sort out there issues, other point I was trying to make is that average turn around in SA on dip and pack is around 5 months, so early season hunters for Leopard should be fine.

Thanks for the post, and as always my best!

Very important info here, I posted in reply to TAP the same way I poted in reply to your quote from Safari lawyer brickburn, and the point was simple it is not only SA, that has this issue it stared with trophy shipments seizures (sp.) from Zim.

Still believe if trophies were to leave country of origin and enter country of destination in this case the US in the same year as the hunt was conducted in that all should be fine....( my interpretation)

You are also making some valid points although I must admit that reputable outfitters can not be held accountable here. USFWS should sort out there issues, other point I was trying to make is that average turn around in SA on dip and pack is around 5 months, so early season hunters for Leopard should be fine.

Thanks for the post, and as always my best!

Jaco, I agree.
The outfitters can't be held accountable, but they are ALL caught in the trap with the hunters and end up being victims of circumstance.
After the hunt is completed the hunter will reap the full result of this enforcement interpretation though.

Because the vast majority of hunters to Southern Africa are from the US I hope this department gets its act together for the industry's sake.

The outfitters can't be held accountable, but they are ALL caught in the trap with the hunters and end up being victims of circumstance.
After the hunt is completed the hunter will reap the full result of this enforcement interpretation though.

Definitely something to think about before you spend your hard earned money. If you can't import a animal back to your home country all you will have is memories and some photos. Dealing with a government agency, that doesn't give two cents how much money you spent on the hunt is a lesson in frustration. I have been there and won't get in a situation again that I have to "rely" on the government to make me happy.

Dealing with government and politics is a huge waste of time. Unless your view is favored by a majority, you are going to be in for a long day!

Still don't thnk it is any reason to cancel a safari for Ele or Leopard!, as there has not been stated that all trophies are being seized or held up, Outfitters can do their part to ensure that all is in order, turn around time on gettingn trophies back from SA is good and receiving it in the same year will solve the problem.

I agree completely Brickburn and Enysse having trophies seized is not something that any hunter wants to go through especially not after spending xx amount of $! also keep in mind that with USFWS 's action by association outfitters are getting bad raps, so much more reason for us to be vigilant as far as paper work is concerned, I for one have driven to Pieterburg to Nature conservations office in the past to demand correct paperwork.

Issue can be avoided by being involved on a continual basis and because we (outfitters) have the know how we should.

My best always

Jaco, it is an issue that everyone needs to be aware of to assess the risk and ask the right questions before they make their choice.
I have seen an increase in Leopard cancellation hunts of late. Typically a hunt that is fully subscribed years in advance, so obviously some hunters are nervous.

The sooner the whole trophy management chain gets in sync, from start to finish you may be able to avoid the USFWS and get back to normal business.

In the mean time I hope a more educated hunter will mean much less likelihood that this hunt with this outfitter or any other will go wrong AFTER the trophy is taken and thus reduce complaints and misunderstandings.

Duely noted.
Still don't thnk it is any reason to cancel a safari for Ele or Leopard!, as there has not been stated that all trophies are being seized or held up, Outfitters can do their part to ensure that all is in order, turn around time on gettingn trophies back from SA is good and receiving it in the same year will solve the problem.

I agree completely Brickburn and Enysse having trophies seized is not something that any hunter wants to go through especially not after spending xx amount of $! also keep in mind that with USFWS 's action by association outfitters are getting bad raps, so much more reason for us to be vigilant as far as paper work is concerned, I for one have driven to Pieterburg to Nature conservations office in the past to demand correct paperwork.

Issue can be avoided by being involved on a continual basis and because we (outfitters) have the know how we should.

My best always

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg