Leica Geovid Rangefinder Binos

ZooKpr

AH member
Reaction score
I have a Leica rangefinder that I have had for a number of years. Had good luck with them so far. I was looking at buying rangefinder binoculars and was wondering if anyone has experience with the Leica Geovids and what you think of them.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have the 3200.com, glass is awesome like you would expect. Range finder reaches further than most have the capability to shoot. They link up with a kestrel with link or the Leica app for your phone by bluetooth for shooting solutions.

They work well for me and I would buy them again.

I’ve had Leica Geovids for the last 5 years. They are fantastic with excellent clarity and the range finding ability (Bullet drop etc.) works really well. They are not cheap but you get a lot for your money.

I have two Geovid HD-B - 8x56 and 10x42. Both great binos. Faults - mine are the older design where you put your custom ballistic profile on a memory card (there are a number of built in ballistic curves too). You can only load up one file at a time, if you want data for a different load/rifle you need to swap/overwrite the memory card. As I understand, with the new models you can load it wirelessly from your smartphone which would be far more convenient. Second fault, the front lens covers on 10x42 model are worthless pieces of sh.. I’ve lost several already and now keep spares. These belong on a $4 item made in far east, not on high quality, expensive optics. They are flimsy and fall off easily, the ones on 56mm design are much better. That’s about it. Overall I’m very happy with them, the optical performance is great and the range finding reliable. As a side note, before I press the rangefinder button I try to guess the distance. I find it to be a great training tool and through doing so I’m getting quite good with range estimation.

I have the older Geovid R 10x42. I think they are 10 years old, and I love them. I never want to be without range finding binos. Leica and Swarovski poach each others engineers all the time so I believe it comes down to what you like best. I don’t need or want the newer models with ballistic data/anemometer/camera/gps/espresso machine. Others may find it useful.

Also have the Geovid HD-B 10x42 - not looking for anything else.

Have the Geovid-R 10x42 (the cheap model) . No major complaints. Glass is more than good. The integrated rangefinder function makes you lazy in a good way.

I have a Leica rangefinder that I have had for a number of years. Had good luck with them so far. I was looking at buying rangefinder binoculars and was wondering if anyone has experience with the Leica Geovids and what you think of them.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

They are AWESOME. Way better than the rangefinder in fact that has mediocre glass.

There are two different families of Leica Geovids.

The HD-R line which was their top-of-the-line product 7 years ago. Originally, these were $3000 binos but instead of discontinuing them, they keep selling them and just drove the price down to $1600. They are the classic boxy Geovid binos with a rangefinder in yards or meters. My son uses these. My PHs use these. Foolproof, great glass, killer price.

The HD-B line. This is the new, ergonomic line that gets upgraded every year. They started as the model 1900, then 2200, then 2700, now the 3200.com. The first four all used a SD chip that you'd download your ballistics to for your rifle and load and it would spit out a firing solution in mils, dots, or inches for you. The 3200.com is bluetooth enabled and you send data from your windmeter and your load data from an app on your phone. You can swap out data and loads quickly. Really cool at that $3000 pricepoint.

Which is better? I have a 2200 and I honestly have used the holdover firing solution feature one time in my hunting career. The 3200.com is the new model but I can't help but think I'd rather own two pairs of HD-Rs than one pair of 3200.com. If I was shooting over 350 yards and needed firing solutions, I might think differently. I have a big problem with the price of the 1900, 2200, and 2700 models though. I get it the 3200.com is new and worth $3000 and that the HD-R is worth $1600, but the "ever so slight discount" of the older HD-Bs is just dumb. Would I pay $2000-$2400 for an older HD-B...no way.

I bought a set of Leica Geovid 10x42 R (Gen 1) and really enjoyed them for a couple of years. We used them on our safari in 2019 and they ended up staying there with my PH as part of his tip.

Upon returning from Africa, I was looking for another set of RF binos. It came down to the Swaro EL Range 10x42 and Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000. I chose the Leica and have since gotten another of the same exact ones for my bride to use.

Likes - Incredible clarity, true to color light transmission, accurate/repeatable RF abilities, ease of use, armored texture and how they feel in the hand (vs. how the Swaro EL felt to me).

Dislikes - The lens covers as @Opposite Pole mentioned above and we don't use them while hunting. We also ditched the Leica branded neoprene strap for something that would slide a little easier over clothing.

I don't believe you would be disappointed in the Swaro EL Range either. At this level of performance, you are best to choose what "looks" best for your eyes. Yes features can play a part and if Leica or Swaro has something you can't live without, by all means you should get it. Our big thing was "how does it look to our eyes and how do they handle in the field". Leica fit the bill for us.

Last edited:
They are AWESOME. Way better than the rangefinder in fact that has mediocre glass.

There are two different families of Leica Geovids.

The HD-R line which was their top-of-the-line product 7 years ago. Originally, these were $3000 binos but instead of discontinuing them, they keep selling them and just drove the price down to $1600. They are the classic boxy Geovid binos with a rangefinder in yards or meters. My son uses these. My PHs use these. Foolproof, great glass, killer price.

The HD-B line. This is the new, ergonomic line that gets upgraded every year. They started as the model 1900, then 2200, then 2700, now the 3200.com. The first four all used a SD chip that you'd download your ballistics to for your rifle and load and it would spit out a firing solution in mils, dots, or inches for you. The 3200.com is bluetooth enabled and you send data from your windmeter and your load data from an app on your phone. You can swap out data and loads quickly. Really cool at that $3000 pricepoint.

Which is better? I have a 2200 and I honestly have used the holdover firing solution feature one time in my hunting career. The 3200.com is the new model but I can't help but think I'd rather own two pairs of HD-Rs than one pair of 3200.com. If I was shooting over 350 yards and needed firing solutions, I might think differently. I have a big problem with the price of the 1900, 2200, and 2700 models though. I get it the 3200.com is new and worth $3000 and that the HD-R is worth $1600, but the "ever so slight discount" of the older HD-Bs is just dumb. Would I pay $2000-$2400 for an older HD-B...no way.
Yes, but the ergonomics of the HD-B line are unique and worth something (I have the 3000 which you can now find for around $2500). I had a Zeiss Victory RF in 10x42 and ended up giving them to my son - they felt like using a cinder block compared to the Leica. However, I am sure had I purchased the HD-R first, I would still be using them and quite happy with them. Like you, I have yet to pursue a Marco Polo and be forced to shoot half way across Asia. Thus, the ballistics magic is largely wasted on me (though the slant range conversion could be invaluable on one of my trips to BC - but haven't employed it yet.)

And yes, the lens covers are shite. I don't use the objective covers while actually hunting - if you do, you won't have to worry about them very long.

And yes, the lens covers are shite. I don't use the objective covers while actually hunting - if you do, you won't have to worry about them very long.

Agreed. The solution is to get a good bino harness. I've tested them all and the one I love, that my kid loves, and that Randy Newberg loves is the FHF Gear Harness in size Large.

Steve Rinella liked FHF Gear's harnesses so much, Meateater recently acquired the company but Paul still runs it.

Having the rangefinding binos high on your chest works great for stalking, belly crawls, or being able to shoot a bow without entanglement.

I've never used the lens caps on my binos, we just keep them in the pouch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!