Leica Amplus 6 1-6x24 i

I really hope this thread gets viewed by Leica and they learn from it. Those Leica raised red emblems on this fine scope are like the "purple hair, neck tattoo and nose ring" on a pretty girl.

Unfortunately Leica post stuff up here and then never reply to questions. It would be nice if they could offer feedback, not just post up marketing new items. I am a Leica user.

Cheers,
Mark.

For aesthetic reasons, I get why Leica put that logo where they did. But it seems like it does cause some issues with certain action sizes and mounts.
I think that my scope rings would look better where the logos are currently positioned, and that the logos should have been placed on the turret caps. I'm in the market for another scope now and it will not have logos (of any brand) which interfere with proper mounting of the scope.

And yes, I own several Leica products, including this model scope.

Thanks for sharing those pics and your experiences. I will be mounting the scope on basically that exact action (Sako 85 in 8x57; I have an 85 Deluxe ordered vs. the Grizzy, but the action should be identical, I assume), so this is very helpful.

But now I'm a bit worried again. I have purchased the one-piece Sako Optilok ringmounts. From video tutorials I've watched, the front ringmount needs to be mounted directly in the middle/center of that front dovetail--not at the back or closest to the action like you're able to do with the separate ring and mount system. This centered orientation would put that ring directly in the middle of the logo if I have scope as far back as you do in these pics.

I could play with moving the front ringmount back or forward on the dovetail, but the tutorial I watched mentioned that doing so moves the scope's line of sight left or right, and depending on the scope, you might not have enough windage adjustment available to get to zero. Or I could try to move the scope a bit forward, but that will also depend on eye relief and how I fit against the stock. Worst case scenario, I ditch the one-piece ringmounts and go for a two piece set up like you have, but I do like the idea of the one-piece mounts and that they can get you lower than the base + low mount Optiloks. I probably should stop fretting about hypotheticals and just wait until I have the rifle in hand, but that's hard for me to do. :D

For aesthetic reasons, I get why Leica put that logo where they did. But it seems like it does cause some issues with certain action sizes and mounts.
Thanks for the info and the offer. I've held the scope over my CZ 550 Safari Magnum action to consider available mounting space. I think I'd have issues trying to mount it with standard rings and mounts on an action that large; there is considerable real estate between those dovetails.

I don't have my hands on the Sako yet, but from pictures I think I should have enough room on the front of the Amplus for the front ring. However, I do plan to use the single piece Optilok ringmounts which require the ringmount to be in the middle of the front dovetail (to avoid alignment/windage adjustnent issues), meaning I won't have the ability to move it around much (or at all) if it's close to or touching the logo.

We'll see what happens. I'll try to remember to post results in here once I have the new rifle and try mounting this scope.

UPDATE: I received my Sako 85 a few weeks ago and attempted to mount the Amplus with the one-piece Optilok ringmounts. No dice.

I could only find enough real estate if I slid the ringmount all the way to the back of the front dovetail (but just barely). And even then I had very little margin to move the scope for eye relief adjustments--I was butting up against the logo pretty quickly. I never got to the point of checking, but from my research I assume I would have had to adjust windage significantly to zero with the front ringmount at the back of the dovetail. Not ideal in any circumstance or configuration.

Rather than get alternative mounts/rings, I put the Amplus on a different rifle and will buy another scope for the Sako 85. I mounted the Leica on my Steyr Mannlicher 9.3x62 stutzen (fits well and looks great) and am now in the market for a straight tube 1-6x or 1-8x with enough room on the tube to mount on the Sako w/ringmounts.

I'll likely be selling the Leupold VX-3HD 1.5-5x FireDot I originally picked up for the Steyr to help fund the purchase of the new scope for the Sako. I expect to put it up in the classifieds within the next week or so.

Had the scope been a Magnus vs. the Amplus I don't suspect I would have had any issues. The Magnus had the logo on the turret caps, with the end of the tube open and usable. I still really like the scope, but it's clear the logo on the front of the Amplus causes mounting issues on some rifles and action sizes. Hopefully in future iterations Leica will reconsider the location of the logo.

I have just had the Amplus on my pre64 super grade 375. The Talley QD front ring came exactly on the logo I just covered them with the rings and didn’t bother much. At the end of the day it’s shooting that matters and not the logo. But yes it’s a wonderful scope.

leicahunting_340178607_603394321433164_3102666878549575553_n.jpeg

the Leica Amplus 6 riflescope series is an attractive entry into the premium class. The well-balanced, high-quality optics feature an extremely crisp illuminated dot, 6x zoom, a large exit pupil, and a wide field of view

View attachment 527734
the Leica Amplus 6 riflescope series is an attractive entry into the premium class. The well-balanced, high-quality optics feature an extremely crisp illuminated dot, 6x zoom, a large exit pupil, and a wide field of view

I own 2 Leica Amplus scopes and have them on 2 Blaser rifle barrels.
I enjoy them and think they are a great value for the money spent.
Having said that , I think if you take the time to post advertisements on this site someone could take the time to read and respond to the logo in the wrong place issue.

Their silence says everything about their lack of interest in the customer. A lot of people reached out to me about the mounting issues caused by Leica’s branding on the tube. Needless to say all chose a different scope. I will too in the future.

safe shooting

I really like the scope BUT when I mounted it to my Winchester M70 .375H&H I became very disappointed in Leica. With the scope moved forward as far as it could go the front ring landed about a third of the way on the emblems.:mad:

Luckily it fit on my Sako Grizzly in 8X57 and thats where it sits now. :sneaky:View attachment 454215
View attachment 454218
Looks very neat. Not every scope is for every rifle.

1682470596719.png

1682471048461.png

Here's the end result of the Amplus on my Steyr Mannlicher in 9.3x62. It fits well on this relatively short (20" barrel) stutzen, but as you can see I'm almost out of room to adjust the scope rearward (front ring nearly touching the logo).

I like the scope a lot, but I do think a next iteration would be better with a slightly longer tube and a different logo placement. That way it could be mounted on basically any rifle with any size action or ring type without worry (like Swarovski or Zeiss straight tubes, which fit just about everything).

Last edited:
Yes, I think Leica will have heard all of this feedback. Their glass is easily up to Swarovski standards and although in the top league pricing still well less than Swarovski.

I own 2 Leica Amplus scopes and have them on 2 Blaser rifle barrels.
I enjoy them and think they are a great value for the money spent.
Having said that , I think if you take the time to post advertisements on this site someone could take the time to read and respond to the logo in the wrong place issue.

I actually did stop at their booth at DSC and talk to the reps there. They seemed not to understand the problem.

I'll likely have another talk with them at the next convention, for whatever it's worth. After being on the waiting list for their Flip Cover Set for the past 18 months, they finally got some in stock and I placed them on order. From their website:

The innovative Leica flip caps easily thread onto the lenses of your Leica riflescopes to protect them against dirt and damage – quickly and reliably. Designed and developed by Leica, the high-quality flip caps are milled from aluminium, making them absolutely robust and weatherproof.

Well, that's partly true -- the objective lens cap does contain some aluminum but it's only the part that screws into the scope. The cap itself and all of the ocular lens cap (excepting the clamping screws) are all plastic. The caps seal with a friction-fit, resulting in a fairly loud "pop" when opened. Not very stealthy; I had been expecting something similar to the magnet that Leupold uses on their Alumina series. As far as I'm concerned the Leica flip cover set at $129 is overpriced by $100. Tried to leave a review on the website, but it wouldn't take it.

I really like the quality of their glass, but they could stand to step up their game a bit.

German companies generally have little interest in customers and clients after they get their money. I worked for a huge German company for 12 years, so I feel very comfortable saying that.

Safe hunting

German companies generally have little interest in customers and clients after they get their money. I worked for a huge German company for 12 years, so I feel very comfortable saying that.

Safe hunting

Point well taken. I suppose it depends on whether their interest lies in getting the money from my previous purchase, or my next one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brookbeans941

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!