AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
WASHINGTON, DC (June 17, 2020) - Yesterday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit handed SCI and America's hunters a hard-fought victory when the Court upheld the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's (FWS) new case-by-case permitting policy for the importation of endangered and threatened wildlife.
The decision represents the culmination of six years of litigation efforts fought alongside the National Rifle Association to close the door on abrupt, arbitrary country-wide importation bans that were used under the Obama Administration and significantly threatened conservation efforts in the African range countries affected.

While several anti-hunting groups fought to protect country-wide findings that were used to implement import bans, SCI's litigation team argued that the FWS is not required to use country-wide findings. In turn, the case-by-case process allows the FWS to be nimbler in its permitting approach and to recognize the conservation benefits of hunting in specific areas and the efforts of individual safari operators.

SCI's Litigation Counsel Jeremy Clare commented on the decision, saying "We hope the Service can now proceed with making science-based determinations for import permits, uninterrupted by unreasonable and unsubstantiated legal challenges."

Information has long been available showing that legal, regulated hunting in Africa generates habitat conservation benefits as well as direct funding for anti-poaching and rural development programs that will save animal species in the long run.

"The real victory from this ruling belongs to the hunters who will now encounter a more factually driven importation process as part of their crucial role in African conservation. SCI deeply appreciates the D.C. Circuit Court's wise decision. As always, SCI's litigation team is second to none in its unrelenting work on behalf of all hunters," commented SCI CEO W. Laird Hamberlin about the Court's decision.

Source: Safari Club International

Certainly positive news!

Bravo, bravo!!!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)

Potential good news for @Royal27 and a few others here on AH.

Permits, and open up permitting and import of elephant from all range nations!

SCI, NRA and others have been relentless on this. It finally paid off!!!

Way to go SCI

Let's tap the brakes..... What is it that SCI had actually accomplished here?

The "case by case" that was "upheld" was already being "used" by FWS. They don't haven't ruled on anything.

Candidly, this sounds more like a propaganda "victory" than anything.

I will get excited once a few "case by case" rulings are made allowing import. Until then, it's just words.

already the line is long for hunters waiting for their elephant permits,lets see how long it takes for the first permit to be issued.

already the line is long for hunters waiting for their elephant permits,lets see how long it takes for the first permit to be issued.

Exactly!

And considering the "new" case by case process has been in place for over two years now I'm not holding my breathe.

I really hope I'm wrong, but someone is going to have to explain to me what has actually been done or changed by this case.

Because they were continually fighting legal challenges, nothing was happening. This is a step forward to eliminating these challenges.
But your right in, time will tell.

WASHINGTON, DC (June 17, 2020) - Yesterday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit handed SCI and America's hunters a hard-fought victory when the Court upheld the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's (FWS) new case-by-case permitting policy for the importation of endangered and threatened wildlife.
The decision represents the culmination of six years of litigation efforts fought alongside the National Rifle Association to close the door on abrupt, arbitrary country-wide importation bans that were used under the Obama Administration and significantly threatened conservation efforts in the African range countries affected.

While several anti-hunting groups fought to protect country-wide findings that were used to implement import bans, SCI's litigation team argued that the FWS is not required to use country-wide findings. In turn, the case-by-case process allows the FWS to be nimbler in its permitting approach and to recognize the conservation benefits of hunting in specific areas and the efforts of individual safari operators.

SCI's Litigation Counsel Jeremy Clare commented on the decision, saying "We hope the Service can now proceed with making science-based determinations for import permits, uninterrupted by unreasonable and unsubstantiated legal challenges."

Information has long been available showing that legal, regulated hunting in Africa generates habitat conservation benefits as well as direct funding for anti-poaching and rural development programs that will save animal species in the long run.

"The real victory from this ruling belongs to the hunters who will now encounter a more factually driven importation process as part of their crucial role in African conservation. SCI deeply appreciates the D.C. Circuit Court's wise decision. As always, SCI's litigation team is second to none in its unrelenting work on behalf of all hunters," commented SCI CEO W. Laird Hamberlin about the Court's decision.

Source: Safari Club International
@AfricaHunting.com
This is bloody good news finally some one with brains and a sense of reasoning has made a decision based on fact rather than unsupported bullshit by factional groups
WELL DONE TO THE JUDGE, CONGRATULATIONS
Bob

Great news. thank you SCI and all that helped in this case.

Attachments

• 19-5147-1847336.pdf
    187.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 19-5147&5152LHS.pdf
    187.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross