AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I had a handle breakage a while back on one of my Lee hand primer units and being the old round model the replacement handle are no longer made and I really didn't want to go to the new square ones that I have heard are nowhere near as good so I thought I should have a go at making a new handle for mine.
First up was finding a suitable piece of steel and part of an older flapper target at a 1/2 in thick was just right for the job.

A few cuts later

and a couple of holes (The two shafts they fit are one drill size different)

and a bit of a clean up

So in about an hour I have two functioning hand primers again with the certain knowedge that if (when) the other handle breaks I wont have to be worried how I will replace them.

Attachments

• Photo3044_zpstrlo3yyv (1).jpg
    Photo3044_zpstrlo3yyv (1).jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Photo3045_zpsbwahwpuj.jpg
    Photo3045_zpsbwahwpuj.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Photo3046_zps37sblbfo.jpg
    Photo3046_zps37sblbfo.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Photo3047_zps8tnbjhkl.jpg
    Photo3047_zps8tnbjhkl.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Photo3048_zpsmkxukxi9.jpg
    Photo3048_zpsmkxukxi9.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few of the old style Lee and had a few break on me, I wind up going to E-bay and buying another used hand primer just to get the part that broke but sooner or later that source will probably dry up

I have a few of the old style Lee and had a few break on me, I wind up going to E-bay and buying another used hand primer just to get the part that broke but sooner or later that source will probably dry up

That would work for those of you who have almost zero shipping cost but to get something off ebay to New Zealand would be more than a used unit is worth.

You made a good choice on fixing the old one. I use a lot of Lee products and really like them. The exception being the new Lee primer tool. I bought one a while back and tried to use it. It flat didn't work. It would smash primers and I didn't manage to get a single cartridge primed with it. After waisting about 15 primers I used the one on the press. They were small rifle Winchester primers. I haven't tried using large rifle primers with it. I will probably try it before throwing it in the trash but given the first try I'm not going to get my hopes up.
When I ordered it there were mixed reviews with the new one. I chalked it up to the usual, "Lee stuffs not good enough for me" crowd just to learn there may have been something to the complaints. Really I was going to buy the RCBS one as by the time you buy the Lee tool and shell holders it's about the same price. I use a lot of Lee equipment and will continue to do so but their new hand primer sucks.

That would work for those of you who have almost zero shipping cost but to get something off ebay to New Zealand would be more than a used unit is worth.
Yea we do have the advantage here in the States, I have fond some great buys from overseas but the shipping just kills, I have also shipped some items to SA and the cost was very espensive

You remind me of my late father. He could and would attempt to fix anything. He had a very complete machine shop in his basement i.e. 2 lathes, a milling machine, grinders, metal cutting band-saws, drill presses, arc welders, mig- welders etc. He just longed for the day something broke. As they say necessity is the mother of invention. Please keep these kinds of posts coming.

Von Gruff I think you can make just about anything. Amazing!

I have a very minimal workshop as most things are done by hand. A drill press, a angle and bench grinder are the extent of my steel working tools apart from hacksaws and files.

But you are in possession of TALENT.

It's your nature silly. Your ability to make what you need, with what you have (ingenuity) that impresses us.

For instance, my grandfather (a definite Krout) lived in Germany between the Wars. At that time Germans were "forbidden" to own guns. But my granddad owned a "poachers" rifle in 9mm Floburt (sp). He brought it to the States in 1927. It stayed up in the rafters of various houses for 80 odd years. One day with nothing better to do my dad took it down and with his keen mechanical eye saw that there was no firing pin. Looking at the holes, grooves etc. (this was not just a simple pin) in the rifle he made one. Several years later I brought a German shooting buddy over to Dad's house. Verner saw the rifle and recognized it immediately. He told us what caliber it was and on his next trip back to Germany bought 100 rounds of ammunition for it. Several months later Verner brought me the ammunition and I immediately went over to my Dad's house, loaded the single shot rifle and fired it at a pop can. The gun worked and was still accurate. That rifle is now locked up in one of my safes and probably never be fired again, at least during my lifetime.

I also use a lot of Lee products I have two of the old round primer tools plus an even older one that takes shell holders that screw in and you have to load each primer by hand. Was going to get the square on but never did then saw that they were not as good as the old ones now I see they have a new model out.
I started reloading on a Lee press and still do but I did replace scale it was to difficult to use with my large fingers.
Their powder thrower on the other hand I will have to wear it out before I replace it. It seams to throw a good charge every time.
I would set up 1/2 grain under and then use a trickler to hit exact weight then noticed I always added 1/2 grain so I just set it to what I want and weigh every 5th charge. It's all plastic has no weight when I first looked at it o thought that it would get me by till I got a good one. That's been 23-24 years and I haven't even looked at a replacement.

Been using mine for an eternity and haven't had a lick of trouble. Maybe I have weak thumbs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross