Lee Enfield Sporter

Bos Javanicus

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand
Here are a couple of photos of a LE that I have been playing with for a while. I have a bit of a passion for Lee Speeds. I have one original Lee Speed Sporter which will stay that way and another barreled action which is going to get a complete restoration from the ground up. I have a lovely piece of Franquette Walnut put aside for this one. I also have a Lee Enfield again in a sporter stock I made in 303/25, this one sports a period correct Pecar 4 power scope.
Unfortunately I am very time poor nowadays working in Indonesia and I don't get back to Australia as often as I would like, being away from home for a month at a time is no fun.
Anyway have a look and I hope you like what I've done so far.

IMG_2802.jpg

gunworks

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Mission Rod & Gun Club, SCI
Hunted
South Africa
Wow! Love it!

stug

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
NZ
Very nice! I've got a soft spot for Lee Enfields, shot my first deer with one, although it was a Jungle Carbine.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Love mine as well! It is my “Ghost and the Darkness” rifle ( see that movie if you haven’t). Mine shoots better than my eyes can see, and doesn’t have near the furniture that lovely thing will have.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Yes a few of us love the Lee Enfield and the Lee Speed Bos. I have built many of the LS styled stocks and finished them for 303's, 35/303, 375/303 and my 400 LS which is the 405 Winchester case shortened .2 and altered the magazine to single stack.
400 Lee Speed.png
303 to 400.png

Mine in 303. I have got a nice 5 shot magazine for it now
BSA 303 Lee Speed.png

Photo2416.jpg

Photo2417.jpg

Last edited:

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
the .303 rifles were my first victims to be put under the hack saw as they were so cheap(9.00-14.00 USD) in 1959. I got the dumb shit award from the military collectors in our small town for three years running and for three years I got the best customer award from the local hardware stores, for buying the most sand paper-emery paper-hacksaw blades- steelwool-quarts of lindseed oil-3 in 1 oil. i get sick today just thinking about the crimes I committed against those helpless rifles with the help I got from gun rags of the times. as my income grew I moved up to mausers-springfields and spared none. to get forgiveness for the crimes of my youth I have since tried to save military rifles from table top butchers when I can.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I like it! That wood is nice too!

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Here are a couple of photos of a LE that I have been playing with for a while. I have a bit of a passion for Lee Speeds. I have one original Lee Speed Sporter which will stay that way and another barreled action which is going to get a complete restoration from the ground up. I have a lovely piece of Franquette Walnut put aside for this one. I also have a Lee Enfield again in a sporter stock I made in 303/25, this one sports a period correct Pecar 4 power scope.
Unfortunately I am very time poor nowadays working in Indonesia and I don't get back to Australia as often as I would like, being away from home for a month at a time is no fun.

View attachment 293530
Bos
A truly beautiful Lee Enfield. I've always table a soft spot for the rifle and am rarely without one.
The 25/303 is a very underrated cartridge they will do everything the 243 will.
Cheers
Bob

Trail Rated

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
to get forgiveness for the crimes of my youth I have since tried to save military rifles from table top butchers when I can.
If you still have any of those sporterized Enfields, and decide to seek forgiveness for the crimes of your youth by selling them cheap, give me a shout!

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
That is how I found it at the LGS. Only thing I have done to it was use some stock buff to wipe of years of grime and shoot it. It has a wonderful smell to it, hard to describe. It came with the ten round mag, but I have since fitted two 5 rounders to it. Love this old rifle.
Got it for a song and I cant carry a tune in a bucket.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek:

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
That smell is called history, it always smells good!
Its smells to me like a place I have never been, an old English gun room. I can see it behind glass doors in the gun cabinet, with the smell of brandy and expensive pipe tobacco and cigars in the room; the rooms walls adorned with the heads of game animals from Africa and India.
Corny, but that's what this rifle speaks to me of.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Here are a couple of photos of a LE that I have been playing with for a while. I have a bit of a passion for Lee Speeds. I have one original Lee Speed Sporter which will stay that way and another Jbarreled action which is going to get a complete restoration from the ground up. I have a lovely piece of Franquette Walnut put aside for this one. I also have a Lee Enfield again in a sporter stock I made in 303/25, this one sports a period correct Pecar 4 power scope.

View attachment 293530
@Bos Javanicus
Man that is,a beautiful rifle. Did you have the action and trigger guard chrome plated or is it polished in the white without the blueing.
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Very nice! I've got a soft spot for Lee Enfields, shot my first deer with one, although it was a Jungle Carbine.
@ stug
The jungle carbine is the for runner of the modern scout rifle but had one BIG problem.
It had the worst designed recoil pad ever inflicted on man. It made th e rifle feel like you were getting kicked b y a mule every time you touched it off.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BroderickT

Latest profile posts

eballo wrote on doubleboy's profile.
Is the Parker still for sale?
hunt 65 wrote on Bullthrower338's profile.
You ever sell the Hyme 458 Lott?
Bob Nelson 35Whelen wrote on jwp475's profile.
@jwp475
If you need help with your Whelen loads please PM me
Bob
xausa wrote on Challer's profile.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd be happy to let you try out my Krieghoff. I'm located in West Tennessee and the local gun club has a skeet layout and is located not far from my farm. We're about five miles from the Kentucky state line and about 100 miles west of Nashville.
I just joined today, I live in Louisiana. I joined mostly because of all of the 35 Whelen discussion as I am now very interested In the 35 Whelen. I have an 1885 Highwall that J.E.S.S. rebored to 35 Whelen

Also own 338s 375 and both a 416 rem and Rigby