LEE ENFIELD LE 1 375-303

Webley Green455
Lik you had a No4 SMLE but with a hung trigger. Rebarreled it to 444 Marlin with a 22inch barrel and a 1 in 20 twist
405 Winchester could be another option View attachment 321656
My 444 thumper
Nice. .405 WIN is a neat idea, since I'd like to get a Ross and/or a No1 MKIII for a .303. Reminds me a bit of the .45-70 Remington-Lee I firmly regret missing out on buying last year.

Similar ballistics to a .375 flanged eh?

Are you still getting ten in the magazine?

I have been working of the the data in the woodliegh manual pictured above for the 375 x 2 1/2 inch, very similar I think.

Yes mate I can close the bolt on 10 in the magazine, it did require a bit of modification to magazine to get this to happen. If I can work it out how to put a video up of the feeding I will.

Nice job on the rifle. Like others interested in the rounds ballistics and performance.

I have only used the 300 gn projectile. I have been able to get the performance I was after which is 2000 fps with a 300 gn projectile.

Woodliegh make a projectile for the 375 x 2 1/2 inch which is a 270 gn rn. This is the other projectile I am keen to try.

From what I can work out, give or take a bit. With a 300 gn at 2000 fps. Zero at 75 metres, 4 inch drop at 150 metres, another 4 inch drop at 200 metres. Thats what I want to set the leaves up at.

One of the better groups at 100 metres, possibly as good as my eyes can do with out going to a peep sight.
img_0124-jpeg.321661

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 597
That is one SEXY rifle well done nice work

Ah , the service .303 British calibre Lee Enfield bolt rifles. They bring back so many fine memories . During our Liberation War , we freedom fighters used so many of these . They were dastardly reliable . However , a few had barrels with very badly worn rifling . Bullet used to weigh a 174 grains if l recall correctly , with a spitzer tip . Certainly not sniper's rifles , but very robust and reliable .
I also liked the Soviet military surplus Mosin Nagant bolt rifles which we had , chambered in 7.62 x 54 R . However the Lee Enfield was a little quicker to operate in my experience.

Ah , the service .303 British calibre Lee Enfield bolt rifles. They bring back so many fine memories . During our Liberation War , we freedom fighters used so many of these . They were dastardly reliable . However , a few had barrels with very badly worn rifling . Bullet used to weigh a 174 grains if l recall correctly , with a spitzer tip . Certainly not sniper's rifles , but very robust and reliable .
I also liked the Soviet military surplus Mosin Nagant bolt rifles which we had , chambered in 7.62 x 54 R . However the Lee Enfield was a little quicker to operate in my experience.
I'd agree that the Lee-Enfield is quicker to operate. I have a sniper-style Mosin-Nagant in my collection as well as a military-configuration and a sporterized L-E No.4, and while the L-E requires a bit more shove to bring the bolt fully forward, the M-N needs a firmer upward push before drawing the bolt back and that (for me at least) makes it a bit slower to operate but they're very close.

I'd agree that the Lee-Enfield is quicker to operate. I have a sniper-style Mosin-Nagant in my collection as well as a military-configuration and a sporterized L-E No.4, and while the L-E requires a bit more shove to bring the bolt fully forward, the M-N needs a firmer upward push before drawing the bolt back and that (for me at least) makes it a bit slower to operate but they're very close.
Great minds think alike , WebleyGreene455 . The Mosin Nagant bolt rifle was used by my 2nd and 3rd favorite snipers in all of military history
: Simo Hayha and Vasili Zaytsev .

Great minds think alike , WebleyGreene455 . The Mosin Nagant bolt rifle was used by my 2nd and 3rd favorite snipers in all of military history
: Simo Hayha and Vasili Zaytsev .
I'd be lying if I said I didn't get my Mosin in part because of watching Jude Law as Vasili Zaytsev in Enemy At the Gates. Or if I said that I didn't buy a Soviet-refurbished Kar98k so I could convert it to a lookalike rifle based on Ed Harris' in the same film.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't get my Mosin in part because of watching Jude Law as Vasili Zaytsev in Enemy At the Gates. Or if I said that I didn't buy a Soviet-refurbished Kar98k so I could convert it to a lookalike rifle based on Ed Harris' in the same film.
Some day , they should make a film of Carlos Hathcock . He was a Vietnam War sniper in the United States Marine Corps . He was a really brave and proficient marks man . He was fortunate enough to survive the war , but a mine ended his sniping career .
He used a .30-06 Springfield calibre Winchester Model 70 and later a .308 Winchester calibre rifle based on the Remington Model 700 . I read his book many times. He ranks as my 1st favorite sniper of all time.

Some day , they should make a film of Carlos Hathcock . He was a Vietnam War sniper in the United States Marine Corps . He was a really brave and proficient marks man . He was fortunate enough to survive the war , but a mine ended his sniping career .
He used a .30-06 Springfield calibre Winchester Model 70 and later a .308 Winchester calibre rifle based on the Remington Model 700 . I read his book many times. He ranks as my 1st favorite sniper of all time.
I suspected Hathcock would be your favorite. Many people I'm acquainted with hold him in (well-deserved) high regard. One of my assorted planned future projects will be a rifle styled after the one he considered his "ideal rifle" in his autobiography. Pre-64 Win M70, 3-9x Redfield scope, and chambered for .300 H&H instead of .30-06 (he used the H&H for the Wimbledon Cup IIRC and I'm certain he'd have encouraged its use as a military sniper round long before the .300 Win Mag and .338 Lap Mag were adopted).

@ Major Khan
My dear friend if you want a TRUE test of marksmanship with an SMLE No1Mk111 have a look at the record set by Sgt Snoxell. He managed 38 shots on a 24 inch target at 300 yards in one minute. Now that's some feat with a bolt action rifle.
Bob

Here is what he carried on his second tour, Remington M40. I have two, one I made up years ago and this one, the Remington reissue from some years back. Excellent shooting rifles.

IMG_4699.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a .375 JDJ that shoots a 225 gr bullet at 2300+ fps and a 260 gr bullet at at 2200+ fps. cases are made out of .444 marlin cases, just a run a 444 marlin case into the 375 sizing die and then load, no extra forming needed. i shot a deer last year with and it was dropped where it was standing.

DSCN0822.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done. It sure beats most of the unfortunate .303 hack jobs that are seen in my neck of the woods. The stock work looks exceptional.
Yes, I agree. The stock and metal work are outstanding! Beautiful rifle.

I have no idea what a .375/.303 cartridge looks like. Would it be possible to post up a pic of one?

Also, how many such cartridges does the magazine hold?

Edited to add: Oops, posted this before I saw the pic in Post #11 above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross