Lechwe Taxidermy Pictures

Black Lechwe

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia
The elegance of Lechwe horns
So, aren't lechwe horns so fantastically elegant? No matter what angle you look at them from, they always present a different shape to please the eye. And the differences between the various subspecies/species are very obvious once you really start looking... black, kafue, red, Nile, and to add to that, there is all the individual variation too on the general theme. The white ridges they have are also unique to this group of antelopes as far as I am aware.

Personally I prefer skull mounts, and thought I should share some of mine.

This is a 'good representative specimen' of a black lechwe that was wounded and lost by poachers. I particularly liked the curves on the tip, they flare outwards nicely. The bases are thick and the ridges nice and deep. I've just given them a coating of linseed oil so they're a bit more glossy than I like, but it'll dull down soon. The white ridges are very visible on this set. The skull in the background is a female Bangweulu tssebe, I have yet to pick up the skull of a good bull.

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures didn't load sir

I would love to see those pics. Good luck navigating the minefield of computers!!

Give it another go with the pics Carl, got us all keen and eager to see what you have to show us!!

Hahaha, oops, OK let me try figure this one out... meanwhile, ladies and gentlemen, enjoy the world-record here to 0ur left <===

I am sure i could make a good call and agree with you, if i would be able to see what you are referring to..

OK, here's the picture I referred to in my first post...

watermark.php

And now, consider this:

A very average Kafue lechwe skull, nothing special:

watermark.php

BUT, turn it around, and you get a completely different view to appreciate:

watermark.php

So, I really would like to display this set of horns 'the wrong way round'. Any creative ideas on how one might do that???

Put it on a post so you can see it from both sides

I also love Lechwe. Great animals. Thanks for sharing. Bruce

High on my hit list!

They look great. Thanks for the photos.

They are beautiful animals!

They are awesome animals, have always been one of my favorites. Forrest

I like lechwe very much, they are elegant animals. They are very beautiful!

I completely agree with you Black Lechwe, so sad we can't hunt Mrs. Gray's (Nile Lechwe) in its native land. One can hope Sudan will be back someday.

Here's my Black Lechwe taken in Bangweulu back in the early 90's with my old friend Rory Gellatly.

image.jpg

Wow, that's a fantastic black lechwe! How was it back in the '90s? What species did you hunt up here and did you see any roan or lion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg