AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Good day to all members, I believe you all to be in good health and happy to face a new year???:A Banana::A Banana::A Big Hello::A Big Hello: Members this thread is about a great device that I feel will be to the benefit of any hunter, for sure it is going to benefit my shooting abilities. This is a hunting/shooting sling designed by my good friend Hansie Minnaar. Hansie use this sling extensively while hunting. He made the sling from good quality cow hide leather. Here are photos of how he make this sling. I already bought myself one and will be taking it to the range shortly. Other South African hunters who bought this sling has really good positive feedback about this sling design.
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full

Yes, you are correct, the design was developed by Col. Jeff Cooper and another person, (Ching) , Hansie designed/made the sling from good quality leather and a type of locking bolt , overall it is a great product , I will be taking my sling to the range shortly to use it at 100 meters standing /off hand shooting, I want to see what my improvement in shooting is .:A Banana:

I too rate the ching type sling as a shooting tool. Mine is a Rhodesian sling from Andy's Leather.

Honestly, it's great. Way more stable in the standing and also a great aid for sitting, kneeling and prone. Since I got mine I've pretty much given up on a bipod as the sling is more than good enough out to 200 or so (the bipod does remain on for hill stalking though).

I also saw a marked improvement in my sporting rifle shoot scores using it, especially for the running boar type discipline where the jump was 20%+ plus.

It's not really a precision device, any more than my hunting .270 is, but if you need to mount the rifle sharpish and put 2 or 3 shots into a couple inches at normal hunting ranges, there's nothing better.

This design is a bit different, but looks interesting. Hope it goes well.

Alistair, thank you for the reply, yes I am sure there will be an improvement in my off hand /standing shooting skills..(y)

Having learned the value of a tight sling for precision shooting 50 years ago at Edson Range, I can see where these slings would be a great aid because they reduce the drawback of traditional shooting slings- the time it takes to get one on and tightened. The split allows the sling to be used as a carrying strap, but simply flipping the rifle forward and dropping the forward elbow through the slit, drawing the sling up tight against the preset stop on the upper arm; reaching around the sling and sliding the hand between the sling and stock forend; would give a reasonably tight sling, all in just a second or so. Good job.

I have a Safari Ching sling and have practiced with it using several rifles. I am also familiar with the military sling as I compete service rifle. The Ching and military slings work by putting you and the rifle under tension; the military sling much more so.

Both slings make my hold steadier in the seated and prone positions. Offhand I found little improvement using any sling (slings aren't even allowed in competition in offhand strings) but that could just be me. The problem I found with slings that put tension on the rifle is they share one common trait: using them changes my point of impact as compared to that from a bench or using shooting sticks. For me using the Ching sling with enough tension to make a marked improvement in rifle steadiness lowered my POI by 3 MOA as compared with shooting from a benchrest or shooting from a bipod/sticks. I did not notice a significant change in windage while using the Ching sling but I have a lot of practice with proper use of the military sling or I just got lucky :D.

Everyone's different. Perhaps you're able to remember what the change in POI is with & without a sling or you don't even experience it. What I finally opted to do was not use a sling for the benefit of steadying my aim and the resultant change in POI while hunting.

A Ching sling (or one that's similar) is worth a try but I suggest you do the work and compare your POI with and without a sling in the positions you expect to use while hunting.

Good day to all members, I believe you all to be in good health and happy to face a new year???:A Banana::A Banana::A Big Hello::A Big Hello: Members this thread is about a great device that I feel will be to the benefit of any hunter, for sure it is going to benefit my shooting abilities. This is a hunting/shooting sling designed by my good friend Hansie Minnaar. Hansie use this sling extensively while hunting. He made the sling from good quality cow hide leather. Here are photos of how he make this sling. I already bought myself one and will be taking it to the range shortly. Other South African hunters who bought this sling has really good positive feedback about this sling design.
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
Hi, do You know if Hansie Minnaar is selling the slings directly or via some web stores? Might be interested to buy for my 9,3x74R.

I know Galco makes a Safari Ching Sling that is very similar.
I've not used one, but you may want to check it out.
1604287522094.png

I know Galco makes a Safari Ching Sling that is very similar.
I've not used one, but you may want to check it out.
View attachment 374005
You may want to check out Andy Langlois' Rhodesian sling. It is like a 2-point Ching sling. He makes those as well.

https://www.andysleather.com/

He's a friend and a great leather maker. Both Brownells and the Gun site Academy ProShop carry his slings.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 7.55.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 7.55.54 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 211
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 7.55.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 7.55.57 AM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. When i use a sling I stick my left elbow in it and then put my left hand over the sling against the underside of the stock and slide back until it tightens everything up. My left hand ends up about under the front action screw. Lotsa ways to shoot a rifle...

You may want to check out Andy Langlois' Rhodesian sling. It is like a 2-point Ching sling. He makes those as well.

https://www.andysleather.com/

He's a friend and a great leather maker. Both Brownells and the Gun site Academy ProShop carry his slings.
I appreciate it, but the Murray Quick Sling checks all the boxes for me.
It quick to adjust, comfortable and quiet as a mouse peeing on cotton.
No metal fasteners to knock on anything or mar your rifles finish when on the sticks.

Wife and each have one and they get used weekly while shooting or dry fire practice.
We both have DG caliber rifles and are looking to hunt DG in the future.
When the stakes go up, the technology should become easier.
That's exactly what the Dick Murray sling does.

Quality piece of kit, made to last and does it's job every time.
Doesn't hurt that Dick is a great guy to work with as well.
He put on a set of sling swivels that I wanted and deducted the cost of what he would have used.
Like I said...a really good guy.

The only other sling I'd even consider for DG is a Trader Keith canvas.
Another great piece of kit from a great guy.
I just prefer the leather.
1613874768341.png

Last edited by a moderator:
the old rem 700 sling can't be beat.
no gimmicks, just does the job.
and not too wide as well.
bruce.
Share a picture if you would please.

From wherever you keep your images.

You can also insert images by clicking on the "Insert image" icon as seen below.

insert-image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you