Layover in Ghana with Firearms & JNB Overnight Questions

ErinDeane

Reaction score
First:
On the way back from my hunt my flight has a layover in Ghana. It is South African Airlines transferring to United Airlines. The baggage is checked through on a continuous itinerary from plane to plane but I am not sure if there are any restrictions or paperwork I need to fill out for the guns traveling through Ghana. I have read a thread that was posted 7 years ago but it has no answers to this question. Has anyone checked baggage through there before? Anything I need to do?

Second:
I have a late flight into JNB and will need to stay the night there and then go the next morning to catch my flight down to Port Elizabeth. Any recommendations on SAFE places that can provide transport to and from as well as secure enough for having our firearms with us? Will we need Henry Rifle permits to meet us both days for pickup and check back in of the firearms at JNB?

Thanks All!

I used Africa Sky both trips through JNB. Very happy with them. Both trips we stayed there going and coming back. So, they were great about pickup, and drop as well as helping with the firearms.s

Can't comment on Ghana.

For your first question, I actually didn’t know South African airways was in business again, but before you stayed on the plane in Ghana. It just refueled and picked up some new passengers.
For your second question Africa sky, city lodge, Afton safari lodge are normal places hunters will stay. I like Africa sky best. Both Africa sky and Afton will handle your gun paperwork and meet you at the airport. I’m sure rifle permits would gladly walk you to city lodge like Gracy travel does. Having them meet you on the return isn’t necessary but I would ask for it. It could prevent a lot of problems.

I highly recommend Africa Sky as well. If Ghana is just a passenger pickup stop I wouldn’t be too concerned. However I’ve been through Accra quite a number of times when working in Togo. I would not do an overnight layover or change planes there with firearms, even if my bags were checked through.

Last edited:
I used Africa Sky both trips through JNB. Very happy with them. Both trips we stayed there going and coming back. So, they were great about pickup, and drop as well as helping with the firearms.s

Can't comment on Ghana.
Ditto on Africa Sky. Stayed there on both trips. Meet you at Tambo. Help get your guns from Police. Transport to and from AS. Nice people. Good food. Highly recommend them.
I too can’t comment on Ghana.

Yes we can certainly be there to meet and assist you and walk you through the process. For the overnight I can also recommend The City Lodge OR Tambo Hotel or the Intercontinental Hotel at the airport, both hotels on the airport premises and we can just walk you over there.

Just send me an email to henry@riflepermits.com for further information.

Thank you.
Henry

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 9.11.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 9.11.58 AM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 51

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross