Layover in Atlanta question

Speedster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Delta just e-mailed me a change in my flights next May. On my return my layover in Atlanta was cut for 3.5 hours to 2.5. Is this still enough time for getting through customs with a rifle and making the next flight?

No problem. The government will even wash your boots for you.

I generally shoot for a 3 hour window with most US airports for clearing customs and immigration, then re-checking bags, going back through security, getting to my next gate etc.. Thats typically plenty of time and leaves me unconcerned about minor delays or setbacks and almost always leaves enough time for me to stop and grab something to eat, have a coffee, etc and not be rushed..

2.5 hours at ATL should be fine.. its a huge airport.. but its reasonably efficient most of the time.. Ive made it through there with guns in less time than that more than once...

being relatively early in the season the plane may not have many hunters on it so the firearm clearance shouldn’t take to long, last time I came through ATLANTA it took about 1 hr 45 minutes to clear everything.

Should be fine, but that’s so far away I wouldn’t be surprised if they moved it again before your trip. That might give you some more breathing room (or less!)

I went through ATL earlier this month, it was a Sunday and I didn't have a rifle but I was through everything in less than 45 min. I've never gone through that fast. Usually I figure a hour to an hour and 1/2 (without a gun).

I agree with others, it’s doable but tight.

You'll be ok. Have your 4457s and keys ready to go and get in front of the guys standing around with their thumbs up their asses.

I went through ATL earlier this month, it was a Sunday and I didn't have a rifle but I was through everything in less than 45 min. I've never gone through that fast. Usually I figure a hour to an hour and 1/2 (without a gun).
It's been a few years since I last flew but I usually have to go through Methlanta. Last couple times, four layovers total, I only had a couple of hours at most for each but I never needed that. Even the one layover of 45 minutes I could walk from gate to gate even several concourses away, although admittedly that was around 10-11PM and there weren't as many people. But then again I've been through there so many times and I wasn't carrying firearms, it was probably easier for me.

Delta just e-mailed me a change in my flights next May. On my return my layover in Atlanta was cut for 3.5 hours to 2.5. Is this still enough time for getting through customs with a rifle and making the next flight?
I hate to say it, but your flight will likely change again… You may want to get used to it.

2.5 hours should be fine…

Do you have Global Entry? If not, apply for it, it helps.

Also, a lot of rifles aren’t making it through Atlanta on time and on to the connecting flights. Mentally prepare yourself for this experience and either waiting at the airport for them to arrive or having them delivered later. I hope it gets better by the time you take your trip.

I’m not sure if you purchase travel insurance, but I’d consider it for your gear. I got a quote through AMEX for my rifles and RF Bino’s. Because I purchased my plane tickets through AMEX, I had considerable insurance coverage/protections with the purchase. I hope this helps you or anyone else who may be planning.

Yes

Speedster, you are lucky, to avoid Chicago and Minneapolis I will be stuck in Atlanta 12 hours both ways in April

My son and I just did it on Monday with a two hour layover and made in time. Close but we made it.

Just went through a similar layover time on 24 September, no issues and had enough time for a quick lunch before catching the connecting flight.

Atlanta customs and Rifle review is smooth. With Global Entry you should be fine. Transition through ATL from JNB in April with two rifles and took 90 minutes.

I checked on Global Entry would be nice but to get to an airport for the interview would involve a 5 hour drive each way nothing in So Dakota

I checked on Global Entry would be nice but to get to an airport for the interview would involve a 5 hour drive each way nothing in So Dakota
There may be a possibility of doing it during a layover if you plan it right or on your return flight home. I got mine done on my return to San Francisco Airport and before I went home… It wasn’t that complicated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.