AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
A friend is wondering if I can bring him some brass on my next trip to RSA. I have no problem doing it as long as I am not breaking any laws. He has tried to buy some in the USA and have it shipped to the RSA but the manufacturer won't do it. Do any of you know if there are any rules/laws regarding this whether it be USA or RSA? Is there any special paperwork that would have to be done? Have any of you ever done this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi wheels I would have put this thread in another area but to answer your question I know of no laws that you would be breaking you may have to explain to customs why your packing a gift. But to save a lot of headache if your friend is willing to pay for shipping buy it and ship it to him as a gift the main reason most retailers will not ship out of country is the cost for RSA you can figure 5lbs = $50.00 there or about's makeing it some high dollar brass.

Actually, the reason most retailers will not export are due to The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) regulations. A commercial entity needs an export license to ship any gun stuff to RSA, and the receiver must be approved before the shipment. Being in the gun stock business, I can tell you customers' shipments do get confiscated, but generally its not a foreign tourist shipping his stock back home that loses their shipment, its usually someone shipping a large load of goodies, or when they put "auto parts" on the customs form when its really a trigger assembly or some such. Best to follow the rules these days.

The federal laws are very detailed and specific:
US State Department - Policy - Directorate of Defense Trade Controls

That been said, i know Safari & Outdoors in the Lynnwood Bridge Shopping Centre, Pretoria can make arrangements to get U.S. made supplies into RSA because they carry our stocks. They have a stateside rep with the required permits to ship US goods to for forwarding, however I do not know their policies as far as customers' own goods are concerned.

Actually, the reason most retailers will not export are due to The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) regulations. A commercial entity needs an export license to ship any gun stuff to RSA, and the receiver must be approved before the shipment. Being in the gun stock business, I can tell you customers' shipments do get confiscated, but generally its not a foreign tourist shipping his stock back home that loses their shipment, its usually someone shipping a large load of goodies, or when they put "auto parts" on the customs form when its really a trigger assembly or some such. Best to follow the rules these days.

The federal laws are very detailed and specific:
US State Department - Policy - Directorate of Defense Trade Controls

That been said, i know Safari & Outdoors in the Lynnwood Bridge Shopping Centre, Pretoria can make arrangements to get U.S. made supplies into RSA because they carry our stocks. They have a stateside rep with the required permits to ship US goods to for forwarding, however I do not know their policies as far as customers' own goods are concerned.

Now that makes more sence to me. when ever I ask all they would say is cost. I have shipped brass through the mail and as Stocky said you must be specific for example this year I Mailed some .375 TSX to RSA I filled out the customs form and paid the postage. The next day I had a message on my phone to come pick up my package it couldn't be mailed. So I went to the post office to see what the problem was. the blonde and not to make blondes sound bad she was a bleached blonde told me that nothing explosive could be sent through the mail, I told her they were bullets not ammo that there was nothing explosive about them and she got mad and said YOU CAN NOT MAIL ANYTHING EXPLOSIVE THROUGH THE MAIL! So I took my package to the next post office 3 miles away and filled out the forms again but this time instead of saying bullets I put copper reloading components which is what they are. no problem 48.00 and a few weeks later there in RSA on the customs form I always mark it as (gift) that way they shouldn't have to pay to pick them up because its not coming frome a retailer..

Guys,
Thanks for the information. This helps.

Guys,
Thanks for the information. This helps.

Wheels,
I've taken both brass and bullets to RSA in my checked baggage with no questions or problems.

Agree with @Stocky that US Federal regulations in general and the ITAR specifically states it is illegal to export components. You are taking a risk by doing so. Like many things with our Federal government, it's complex.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/22/121.1

§ 121.1 The United States Munitions List.
Link to an amendment published at 82 FR 41173, Aug. 30, 2017.

(f) The following explains and amplifies the terms used in this category and elsewhere in this subchapter:

(1) The components, parts, accessories and attachments controlled in this category include, but are not limited to cartridge cases, powder bags (or other propellant charges), bullets, jackets, cores, shells (excluding shotgun shells), projectiles (including canister rounds and submunitions therefor), boosters, firing components therefor, primers, and other detonating devices for the defense articles controlled in this category.​

This might be the out:

1. CFRTitle 22Chapter I › Subchapter M › Part 123 › Section 123.17
(e) Port Directors of U.S. Customs and Border Protection shall permit U.S. persons to export without a license ammunition for nonautomatic firearms referred to in paragraph (a)of this section if the quantity does not exceed 1,000 cartridges (or rounds) in any shipment. The ammunition must also be for personal use and not for resale or other transfer of ownership. The foregoing exemption is also not applicable to the personnel referred to in § 123.18.​

Given the massive markup on components in Oz, I looked into this sometime ago. To do things legally you need to get a US export permit which costs around US$250 plus the probably another few hundred in paperwork costs from the exporter (who also needs a licence). All of this makes a few packets of brass or projectiles very expensive. The complexities of the system are such that most US retailers wont even attempt it. Its not worth loosing their business and spending jail time over minor admin errors (even when trying to do everything right). The current Trump administration promised to simplify the system. If anyone has looked at the discussion papers and draft regs its still a total nightmare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois