Latest Requirements for Travel with Archery Equipment

archer36

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
The last thread ended in 2018. What's the latest? I'm going in September to RSA. Leaving from Dulles, Wash DC.
What cases did you use or recommend. I have reverse draw crossbows.
If archery equipment needs to be inspected like firearms then I will need a case. Otherwise I was thinking of repacking them in the containers they were shipped in. If they were suitable for shipment they should be suitable for air travel.
Thanks.

@archer36

Each airline has it's own unique requirements for traveling with archery equipment. Assuming you are flying with SAA departing from Dulles, there are no special restrictions on archery equipment. It is regarded as sports equipment just like golf clubs or skis. You may have an additional fee for extra or oversize baggage if you exceed the standard baggage allowances, but no special rules or restrictions are imposed for customers traveling with archery equipment on SAA or Delta....

If your bow case bares any resemblance to a gun case, the ticket agent will likely ask you to open it upon check-in. Otherwise, there should be no issues on the departure side... Worst case scenario, they have you check it in with the TSA office located in the same terminal which is no big deal... As stated here many times, some agents don't know their own airline's rules...

Upon arrival in OR Tambo, bow cases typically go to the oversized luggage office located at the rear of the regular baggage carousels in the main baggage claim area. If by some small chance, your bow case is not in the special baggage office, it is likely that it was sent to SAPS by mistake... To avoid this, we always recommend that our clients traveling with bow cases mark their case on 3 sides with the words "archery equipment" or "bow & arrows, no guns"... I personally use 3" vinyl, stick-on lettering that you can purchase at any hobby or arts & crafts store to mark the case. Myself, nor any of our clients who have labeled there cases have had any issues with their cases being sent to SAPS in error... If your case is not at the oversize baggage office, DO NOT leave baggage claim to go to SAPS. You will not be allowed to return to baggage claim once you leave. Have the lost baggage service office in the baggage claim area call SAPS to check on your behalf if your case doesn't come out on the carousel or in the oversize office.

If you prefer not to label the contents of your case, or you want to avoid traveling with a bow case altogether, another option to consider is to pack your bow in the bottom of a standard suitcase or hard-sided duffel. I would avoid packing your bows in their original purchase containers as you would likely be inviting interest and inspections....

Upon return to the USA, be prepared for any cases that resemble gun cases to end up at the US Customs special baggage office for inspection. Atlanta is notorious for this, but it is hit or miss at other airports... They may spray your archery equipment and hunting boots with a biocide chemical upon inspection. Be prepared for an extra 15-30 minutes for this depending on how many hunters/cases were on your flight... If your case doesn't go to the Customs Office, consider yourself lucky, but don't count on it... Good luck and have a great safari!

@archer36

Each airline has it's own unique requirements for traveling with archery equipment. Assuming you are flying with SAA departing from Dulles, there are no special restrictions on archery equipment. It is regarded as sports equipment just like golf clubs or skis. You may have an additional fee for extra or oversize baggage if you exceed the standard baggage allowances, but no special rules or restrictions are imposed for customers traveling with archery equipment on SAA or Delta....

If your bow case bares any resemblance to a gun case, the ticket agent will likely ask you to open it upon check-in. Otherwise, there should be no issues on the departure side... Worst case scenario, they have you check it in with the TSA office located in the same terminal which is no big deal... As stated here many times, some agents don't know their own airline's rules...

Upon arrival in OR Tambo, bow cases typically go to the oversized luggage office located at the rear of the regular baggage carousels in the main baggage claim area. If by some small chance, your bow case is not in the special baggage office, it is likely that it was sent to SAPS by mistake... To avoid this, we always recommend that our clients traveling with bow cases mark their case on 3 sides with the words "archery equipment" or "bow & arrows, no guns"... I personally use 3" vinyl, stick-on lettering that you can purchase at any hobby or arts & crafts store to mark the case. Myself, nor any of our clients who have labeled there cases have had any issues with their cases being sent to SAPS in error... If your case is not at the oversize baggage office, DO NOT leave baggage claim to go to SAPS. You will not be allowed to return to baggage claim once you leave. Have the lost baggage service office in the baggage claim area call SAPS to check on your behalf if your case doesn't come out on the carousel or in the oversize office.

If you prefer not to label the contents of your case, or you want to avoid traveling with a bow case altogether, another option to consider is to pack your bow in the bottom of a standard suitcase or hard-sided duffel. I would avoid packing your bows in their original purchase containers as you would likely be inviting interest and inspections....

Upon return to the USA, be prepared for any cases that resemble gun cases to end up at the US Customs special baggage office for inspection. Atlanta is notorious for this, but it is hit or miss at other airports... They may spray your archery equipment and hunting boots with a biocide chemical upon inspection. Be prepared for an extra 15-30 minutes for this depending on how many hunters/cases were on your flight... If your case doesn't go to the Customs Office, consider yourself lucky, but don't count on it... Good luck and have a great safari!
Well thank you Limcroma Safaris for your extensive post. I know I have made the right choice since I will be hunting with YOU this September!

Well thank you Limcroma Safaris for your extensive post. I know I have made the right choice since I will be hunting with YOU this September!

My pleasure sir.... We look for ward to hosting you... (y) Please don't hesitate to contact one of any time if you have more questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.