late season bowhunting mid sept to mid October

chiefdale

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
looking about late season hunt one outfitter said this is best time of year since this is the driest.my question is if anyone who has bow hunted south africa during this time frame was the hunting actually harder since the animals have been pressured all season

I have had several late Sep. and Oct. hunts and they can be excellent if the outfitter has enough hides and property so as not to overhunt.

jeff can you give you top three south african outfitters you liked that time of year you hunted with

I have had more then one PH in Namibia tell me. The very best week to bowhunt is first of October. They said everything must drink. I can't imagine south Africa would be much different. I would love to hunt first of October to try it out

I have bowhunted Namibia 4 times in Oct. and don't think there is less water then as my earlier trips. All water was from manmade sources even in July and the bush was parched. I had good hunts but some hunts had a daytime temp of excess of 110 F and not much game movement in the extreme heat, more nocturnal movement. This was not from hunting pressure at the hidesas we were the only bowhunters for that year. I had more daytime activity on earlier hunts.

Any good outfitter spreads the pressure out thoughtout their properties so that part shouldn't matter so much. The weather will vary depending on where in South Africa. I hunted the Eastern Cape in late August/early September in '18 and I recall thinking of trying into October to take something on my birthday. My outfitter informed me October there was going to probably be wetter. Limpopo or the Karoo may be different. And as Jeff said, find out the average temps then. Hot and full moon will make some animals go nocturnal. I learned that hunting eland one year in Namibia during a May hot spell. Lots of midnight trail cam photos of them, very little during the day.

Yep will for sure be hot

looking about late season hunt one outfitter said this is best time of year since this is the driest.my question is if anyone who has bow hunted south africa during this time frame was the hunting actually harder since the animals have been pressured all season

Late season can be excellent depending on your goals and expectations for your bowhunt. I have bow hunted in the Limpopo every month from April to October and I would have to say that September is my favorite month to bowhunt from the hides over water and minerals. The weather is still very dry through September until mid-October and the temperatures are mild. The animals will still be very active at the water holes and mineral licks. You will definitely see the most animal activity this time of the season. As @Ryan correctly mentioned, the hunting pressure on the game has much more to do with the amount of property the outfitter has to offer and the way they manage their hunters than the time of year you are hunting. I would recommend looking for an outfitter that not only offers "bow-only" properties, but one who also owns the land you will be hunting.

If your desire is to spot and stalk exclusively, I would recommend early season from late March to mid-May when the grass is high and the bush is still green and thick providing you the most stalking cover. However, keep in mind that if you are not dedicated to spot & stalking, hunting from the hides will be extremely challenging in the early season. Best of luck on your hunt!

the hunting pressure on the game has much more to do with the amount of property the outfitter has to offer and the way they manage their hunters than the time of year you are hunting. I would recommend looking for an outfitter that not only offers "bow-only" properties, but one who also owns the land you will be hunting.

I could not agree more... This is key for any hunter looking for a quality bowhunt in Africa regardless of the time of the year. I would also add that the chances of a quality hunt that meets or exceeds your expectations will go up exponentially if the outfitter and/or the PH are themselves experienced bowhunters..

I could not agree more... This is key for any hunter looking for a quality bowhunt in Africa regardless of the time of the year. I would also add that the chances of a quality hunt that meets or exceeds your expectations will go up exponentially if the outfitter and/or the PH are themselves experienced bowhunters..
I'd rank that far higher than land ownership.
I've hunted with two outfitter that didn't own the land they hunted. They both had a lot of bowhunting experience and I had great hunts. They focused on the hunting side of things and worked with land owners who focused on good land and game management. Win win.

Rains will come early this year......

I prefer a outfitter who owns his owns his property, he has more control over everything and will invest in quality hides and infastructure. No one wants to pour money in someone elses land.

I'd rank that far higher than land ownership.
I've hunted with two outfitter that didn't own the land they hunted. They both had a lot of bowhunting experience and I had great hunts. They focused on the hunting side of things and worked with land owners who focused on good land and game management. Win win.

@Ryan

Of course land ownership is not required to have a good hunt. However, having the outfitter own the land or at least having the PH familiar with the hunting property is a big advantage. For example, I have hunted properties where the PH and I both had the exact same amount of knowledge and experience of the land meaning we had none.. Over the years, I have spent more time than I would have cared to with PH's having conversations with the land owners/ranch managers on where to hunt. This didn't necessarily equate to a bad outcome, but it was certainly not the most confident instilling way I prefer to approach a bowhunt. After all, isn't the main purpose for doing a guided hunt to rely on the PH's "home field" knowledge and experience. That's all I'm saying..

With that, I wholeheartedly agree with you that you can have great hunts on properties not owned by the outfitter assuming that the factors you mention of hunting with a PH who bowhunts on properties where good land and game management are practiced. For me it has been the exception, but I am sure that with some proper research and due diligence on the hunter's part, there are good hunts available where the outfitter is hunting leased properties. But, if you hunt with an outfit that owns the land, it eliminates a lot of the guesswork in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,