Largest-ever World Wildlife Summit Recognizes the Importance of Trophy Hunting

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Lion.jpg

The 183 countries that are parties to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) have concluded their triennial conference, known as CoP17 or the World Wildlife Conference.

The Parties unanimously adopted an important resolution on trade in hunting trophies in which they recognise that “well-managed and sustainable trophy hunting is consistent with and contributes to species conservation, as it provides both livelihood opportunities for rural communities and incentives for habitat conservation, and generates benefits which can be invested for conservation purposes”.

Initiated by the European Union and South Africa, the resolution can be seen as a welcome response to recent unscientific attacks on and misconceptions about trophy hunting in some Western countries. The resolution consolidates and clarifies the high legal and sustainability standards to which trophy hunting practices as well as hunters, exporting and importing countries are subjected. In addition, it contains a set of non-binding recommendations. For example, it recommends that Parties exporting hunting trophies of CITES-listed species ensure that trophy hunting, as appropriate, provides benefits to local communities; and that trophy hunting activities relating to species listed in Appendix I of the CITES Convention (i.e. threatened species) should produce “conservation benefits” for the species concerned. Examples of benefits of trophy hunting have already been illustrated in numerous scientific studies over the years. Hunting trophies of black rhino (included in Appendix I of CITES), for example, are the only trade permitted in this species. Trophy hunting has been key in the recovery of this species.

The resolution consequently contains an important recommendation to the Parties to “consider the contribution of hunting to species conservation and socio-economic benefits, and its role in providing incentives for people to conserve wildlife, when considering stricter domestic measures and making decisions relating to the import of hunting trophies”.

Trophy hunting has indeed a crucial role to play in successful conservation strategies. FACE can only welcome this conclusion!
The text of the Resolution on trade in hunting trophies can be found here. More information on hunting and CITES can be found on FACE website.

About FACE: The European Federation of Associations for Hunting & Conservation:
Established in 1977, it represents the interests of Europe’s 7 million hunters as an international non-profit-making non-governmental organisation (INGO). This makes FACE the largest democratically representative body for hunters in the world and is probably one of the largest European civil society organisations. FACE is made up of its Members: national hunters’ associations from 36 European countries including the EU-28. FACE also has 4 Associate Members and has its Secretariat in Brussels.

Credit to Duncan Johnson

Read more: http://www.face.eu/about-us/resourc...ummit-recognises-the-important-role-of-trophy

Last edited by a moderator:
Really glad to see Europe getting on board. Seems like they are pretty sneaky with proposing anti-hunting laws. Thanks for posting.

Thank you for posting

Thanks for sharing

Thanks. This is turning out to be a great year for hunters and conservation.

Glad to see some sensible perspective on hunting. Having just returned from Mozambique, I saw first hand the difference between land set aside and supported by trophy hunting and land left to the villages to fall all the trees, burn all the native plants and plant maize. A stark piece of land devoid of animals.

Glad to see some sensible perspective on hunting. Having just returned from Mozambique, I saw first hand the difference between land set aside and supported by trophy hunting and land left to the villages to fall all the trees, burn all the native plants and plant maize. A stark piece of land devoid of animals.
And that is the reality for most villagers in Africa.
Animals are good for only as long as they last when hunted for money
Trees are only good for cooking with and they get in the way of fields of crops.
Predators are a threat to families. Big mammals are a threat to crops and resources... they must all go!
it tough to acknowledge, but that is the reality of most rural villagers...
Unless there is a viable alternative option for them, such as sustainable use and employment for villagers

And that is the reality for most villagers in Africa.
Animals are good for only as long as they last when hunted for money
Trees are only good for cooking with and they get in the way of fields of crops.
Predators are a threat to families. Big mammals are a threat to crops and resources... they must all go!
it tough to acknowledge, but that is the reality of most rural villagers...
Unless there is a viable alternative option for them, such as sustainable use and employment for villagers

yup and any other animals, birds etc are eaten........all animals are just seen as meat.

Thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you