Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Liberia, Mozambique, Argentina
LAN (which I think used to be called LAN Chile) recently issued the following notice:

Due to our commitment to the protection of the environment and its animal species, we will no longer accept for transportation of dead animals exhibited as trophies of game hunting, even when the cargo complies with all IATA requirements. Special attention is being given to the following species: Lions, Leopards and other felines of similar size, Rhinos, Buffaloes, Elephants, Any other species that has been the victim of game hunting. If you have any questions please contact your Sales Representative or Inside Sales Agent.

Note the use of the term "victim of game hunting."

In conversations with Air Canada (who have adopted a similar policy, although not quite as offensively), I asked them why they were prepared to carry a moose, for example, without any permits or indication that the animal was lawfully taken, while they were unwilling to carry a leopard, accompanied by a CITES quota issued by CITES in Switzerland, an export permit issued by the country in which it was hunted, and an import permit issued by the country to which it was going. Surely, one is demonstrably legal (probably the most legal cargo they carry), while the other might be, but who knows?

The PR person to whom I spoke acknowledged that this seemed a bit backwards, and had to agree that legality of the cargo likely wasn't the real reason, but that's what he'd been told to say. He agreed to take my argument further up the chain; unsurprisingly, I've yet to hear back.

I would suggest that hunters find another airline to use when going south. If it isn't clear, we as hunters should boycott LAN airlines.

Hank,
I will not be going to that part of the world. Seems there are little flying critters that bite folks and give them things they don't want.
This airline that I've never heard just seems to be following the crowd.

Hank,
I will not be going to that part of the world. Seems there are little flying critters that bite folks and give them things they don't want.
This airline that I've never heard just seems to be following the crowd.

They are the national airline of Chile, and I've flown them on a prior trip to Argentina.

As for Zika, well, the Mrs. is unlikely to get pregnant now, even if she were to let me near enough!

I've never let those pesky mosquitoes interfere with trips to Africa . . .

Having said that, Argentina has made entering the country with your own guns so onerous that I've knocked it off the destination list for hunts. Too bad, but I think it was Issac Newton who said that for every action there was an equal and opposite reaction. And mine is staying away!

Late to the dance and they want to come to the big kids table. :rolleyes:

Seems there are little flying critters that bite folks and give them things they don't want.

I've never let those pesky mosquitoes interfere with trips to Africa . . .

I thought @CAustin meant vampire bats! :E Frightened: seemed reasonable to me.... unlike the thought process behind all of these idiots at the various airlines.

These airlines are driving me nuts, put some common sense back into your mission statement.

And if not LAN who are you going to fly, American? Aerolineas Argentinas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you