Lack of American made optics

Then they need new friends, not a new scope..
Speaking about it, when the first series of Blaser R93 was launched here in Norway ,the brochure showed a package deal American style stock and a Leupold VxIII on top.

But its sad to see that some feel almost pressured to have the newest of the new to go with a R8 or so. I know of one example where a guy got debt collector due to that,but that was one part of it, the other had to not understand that one had to pay the bills to begin with ,

How come no one is using Meopta scopes, European made one inch tube and the highest light transmission of any scope made, 98% per lens. Available in many reticles, mid price Meopro to high prices of over 2,000AUD.
To me bloody good scopes for the price.
Screenshot_20211202-104327_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211126-215433_Chrome.jpg

How come no one is using Meopta scopes, European made one inch tube and the highest light transmission of any scope made, 98% per lens. Available in many reticles, mid price Meopro to high prices of over 2,000AUD.
To me bloody good scopes for the price.View attachment 440365View attachment 440366
I had a meostar r2 1-6*24 on my 375. Just as good as the equivalent Swarovski, zeiss and s&b to my eyes at around 2/3 the price.

No brand cache though, way worse resale value and I've no idea how the aftersales support is as mine worked flawlessly.

It made sense for me, but for those who like to chop and change scopes, it might not have.

I had a meostar r2 1-6*24 on my 375. Just as good as the equivalent Swarovski, zeiss and s&b to my eyes at around 2/3 the price.

No brand cache though, way worse resale value and I've no idea how the aftersales support is as mine worked flawlessly.

It made sense for me, but for those who like to chop and change scopes, it might not have.
@Alistair
It's a wonder more people aren't looking at meopta. They have been around a long time and have a good reputation. They may not have a great resale but anyone looking for a bloody good scope should be able to pick one up at a good price 2nd hand. Don't tell anyone how good they are or people will start putting the price of them up.
We will keep it our secret how good meopta is, just don't tell anyone. Promise.
Bob

I have 2 Meopta now ,want to try a 1-6or 2-12 xso later . Would be good on a ,375 .

A 3-12x50 with the 4A bdc reticle in it, and a 2100 3-12x56 nr 4 reticle . Strong and sturdy,good glass and dusk use on them.
A Norwegian writer some yeara back compared Meopta and Nikon to be very similar in build and optic,but Meopta was closer to some older German ones, like Zeiss Z or C series.

Japanese products in the 1950s had a bad reputation for quality. The truth was and is that after WWII, many US manufacturers went to Japan to produce a cheaper line of goods because of lower labor costs. The Japanese were and are capable of producing manufactured goods as well or better than any other country. Think, e.g., Nikon, Honda, etc. Same thing with China. It is up to the manufacturer to set the standards. I was an amateur cello player (arthritis killed that). I was very well acquainted with the stringed instrument market. A friend and dealer in high end instruments once told me that prices of both vintage and modern instruments are based in part by country of origin, starting with Italy to Germany, France, and England (not to mention one-off makers in the the US). Fact is today, that some of the finest stringed instruments in the world today come out of boutique shops in China. And I know that from experience as well since I owned one and it was not cheap! I belong to a local gun range that exists primarily for silhouette shooting out to 500 meters. Nearly all competitors use Kowa spotting scopes. It is also the scope of choice for most serious birders. Nothing magical about scopes from the "old country" except the price.

How come no one is using Meopta scopes, European
Quite popular and for a reasonable price. Yukon I also heard good reviews about. Bought one myself, but not yet used. They are also completely made and assembled in Europe if I am not mistaken.

Quite popular and for a reasonable price. Yukon I also heard good reviews about. Bought one myself, but not yet used. They are also completely made and assembled in Europe if I am not mistaken.
@DieJager
You are correct they even grind their own lenses and use their own proprietary coating. From memory they provide lenses to some of the big name companies like Zies. Check what Dr Google has to say mate.
Bob

The short answer is no. Most people are not willing to pay more for American made scopes or clothing. A very small part of consumers will but not enough to get really big. Most of those guys shoot Leopold.

Setting up a scope manufacturing facility, especially for grinding glass, is very expensive. You cannot pay for that with cheaper units.

The short answer is no. Most people are not willing to pay more for American made scopes or clothing. A very small part of consumers will but not enough to get really big. Most of those guys shoot Leopold.

Setting up a scope manufacturing facility, especially for grinding glass, is very expensive. You cannot pay for that with cheaper units.
Awhile back, I talked with the Leupold sales rep at the Houston Safari Club show. He was telling me that when he did training for the dealers, he liked to ask what scope did they think was the brightest. Everyone would say a 50mm objective with a 30mm tube. the answer was the 2.5x8 VXIII.

It is the relationship to the lenses in the tube that transmit more light than size of the lenses. I have a few of those scopes now. For a long time, I had Swarovski a 7x50 binocular that had a 7.1 mm exit pupil. These were close to the best low light binocular available. When we would have parties I would bring non-hunters out on my front porch and have them look around at night and they would be amazed at what they could see in the dark.

I am telling you, I have had Leupold 2.5x8 VXIII scopes out with my Swarovski 7X50 binocular for ever to compare when the sun is going up or down and the difference is very minimal.

I do value great optics and use Swarovski, Zeiss, Bausch & Lomb Elite binoculars. The Leupold VXIII is a great riflescope.

As a footnote, I bought a Maven C2 7x28 binocular to keep in my vehicle always as something I wouldn't care if it got stolen. It was a $175.00 purchase and they have been fantastic. I imagine their B Series must be something else for the money.

Awhile back, I talked with the Leupold sales rep at the Houston Safari Club show. He was telling me that when he did training for the dealers, he liked to ask what scope did they think was the brightest. Everyone would say a 50mm objective with a 30mm tube. the answer was the 2.5x8 VXIII.

It is the relationship to the lenses in the tube that transmit more light than size of the lenses. I have a few of those scopes now. For a long time, I had Swarovski a 7x50 binocular that had a 7.1 mm exit pupil. These were close to the best low light binocular available. When we would have parties I would bring non-hunters out on my front porch and have them look around at night and they would be amazed at what they could see in the dark.

I am telling you, I have had Leupold 2.5x8 VXIII scopes out with my Swarovski 7X50 binocular for ever to compare when the sun is going up or down and the difference is very minimal.

I do value great optics and use Swarovski, Zeiss, Bausch & Lomb Elite binoculars. The Leupold VXIII is a great riflescope.

As a footnote, I bought a Maven C2 7x28 binocular to keep in my vehicle always as something I wouldn't care if it got stolen. It was a $175.00 purchase and they have been fantastic. I imagine their B Series must be something else for the money.

I couldn’t begin to count the game I’ve taken using a rifle equipped with a VXIII 2.5-8x. It is one of the best values in scopes to ever hit the market.

A local crew of long-range shooters who consider anything under a 1000 yds. "point blank" mostly use Leupolds. Plus Leupold offers custom services.
all are shooting at day light.We here are hunting often/mostly in the dawn and darkness.

Last edited:

I have had the Meopta R2 in 1-6x24 and 1.7-10x42mm. I mounted these on a couple of my son’s rifle.
But, before gave I have these to him, I informal compared these many times with Swarovski, Zeiss, and Schmidt & Bender scopes of equal or similar power range and objective size.
I personally thought the Meopta’s were certainly in the same class optically.
I think the lawsuit / settlement with Swarovski regarding distribution and sell of these 2 particular scopes in USA hurt the Meopta familiarity here in the states. They were unavailable for a time period.
These scopes also seem to be very well constructed.

I use Lynx scopes manufactured in Japan comes with a lifetime guarantee...they have served me well...no issues.
I have had to make use of the lifetime guarantee once.....a client dropped my one rifle fitted with a Lynx scope it fell on the front bell denting it and actually chipping the front lens....it held zero....it was repaired free of charge although it was no fault of the manufacturer.....what more can a hunter ask for?

In regards to Leupold, I have a Leupold HD-5, 1-5x24mm with standard duplex. The glass / view seems very acceptable when compared to Kahles, Zeiss, S&B in similar scopes.

I am certainly not and optics expert. My comparisons have been, what clarity / ability to identify target and reticle visibility that I could make a shot in low light.

This is what pushed me into the European scopes many years ago. We do not have a specific time for shooting hours. Sometimes it is quite late and low light before a moose decides to appear. Depending on which side of the mountain you are on, amount of timber, and environmental conditions it can be very low light. The European scopes provided extended time for my shooting.
I recall when This situation opened my son’s eyes. I had put a Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42mm, 1st focal plane #4 on his 375 Ruger. When had a bull that hung up in the timber and was raising hell, but would not show itself. We decided to try and close with him, as it was getting dark in the real sense of the term. My son thought too dark to identify and shoot.
I told him to adjust the power range until he could see boldly see the reticle. He was amazed at what he could see. He was use to whatever the military was using on their combat rifles. We did not get that moose, but later took one in same area and very similar situation, maybe the same moose. That Zeiss is his favorite scope after that.

Options for a semi-normal scope are becoming more limited. I do not like or need the Hubble telescope, nor do I care for turret nobs that look like pepper mill grinders or engineering graph paper style reticles. However, I do like illuminated reticles/dots. These type optics seem to be the craze for the modern day tactical/sniper fans and the makers are darn sure catering to it.

I have Leupold, Trijicon, Swarovski, Leica, Meopta and Kahles optics on different rifles. I like them all, but I would never hesitate to put a Leupold VXlll on any rifle I own. If you are patient, some great deals can be found on premium optics, especially after the trade shows or the new improved model comes out.

Safe shooting.

One USA company, though not manufactured here is Tract Optics. They sell directly to the consumer, no middle man retailer. The guys that started the company were formerly with Nikon. Their Toric line, uses SCHOTT high transmission (HT) glass, extra-low dispersion (ED) lens. The Toric line is manufactured by the Japanese LOW optics company.
I have a couple of their Toric 2-10x42mm with the T-Plex reticle. These seem to be well made, and to me optical quality is very good. This scope is scope has a 1” tube. I would prefer a 30mm tube. But, I plan to buy 2 more of these. Quality per unit price, seems very good.

Last edited:
I own the maven b series 10x30 and 11x45 binoculars. I think they are unbeatable for price. I’ve used the 10x30s a lot. Two weeks ago I was hunting in Montana. They were better clarity than my guides Swarovskis, however when I had opportunity to compare to Leica, Leica was more clear. The 11x45s I found to be more of a spotting scope than for general glassing but clarity and light gathering is really impressive. I haven’t had opportunity to compare the 11x45s to other binoculars.

I use Meopta rifle scopes as well, along with the Meostar HD binos, and the Meostar S2 spotter. Superb optics, superb quality, workmanship, customer service, etc. World class stuff for sure. I also own a Tract Toric 3-15x scope that has been great for 7-8 years now, and their 8x42 Toric binocular is as good as anything available under$1200. Jon the owner is a first rate guy too.

Foxi I have used my Leupold in pre dawn situations. I have used my S&Bs at night with spot lights to cull. All of my scope are illuminated dot reticles. Put the red dot on the red eye and pull the trigger. Not rocket science. This being both European made and US. There are only a few Leupold models that I would compare to S&B but they most certainly compare. I learned long ago in road racing that just because you have the most expensive and best whatever doesn't mean you will not get beat by a punk ass kid riding a piece of shit whatever but who really can ride. This theory applies to rifle and scopes too!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg