alimufti

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Pakistan Safari Club, Pakistan Game Fish Association, International Game Fish Association
Hunted
South Africa, British Isles, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Kenya, croatia
Hey everyone, hope everyone is getting by well in this difficult time for the world. Like many of you I’m sure - my hunt in Africa has been delayed from April 2020 to either May or Aug. 21. With this extra time to review my planned safari, I would like to get some feedback on whether I’m on the right track.

As always, I’m driven to Africa by my unending fascination for spiral horns. Kudu and bushbuck being my obsession. I’ve hunted a good southern greater kudu and other game in Limpopo, but so far the greatest joy has been hunting free range cape kudu and bushbuck in the eastern cape. The mountainous terrain and cooler weather, combined with the hunting style of a lot of glassing followed by a long stalk for kudu is something I cannot get enough of. Likewise the glorious evening waits and stalks for bushbuck I find equally scintillating. I have hunted 3 kudu and 3 bushbuck over many safaris along with 50 plus other African plains game. Generally I shoot any mature bull, and due to very little rifle hunting opportunity back home when on safari I choose package deals and shoot more game (10-15 animals per safari) than is usually planned – as long as it is a mature/old animal.

This time in kwn I have planned to hunt on a daily rate and to have the time to try to hunt for the more difficult larger than normal specimens of the above species. I had planned 12 days over the dark moon in kwazulu with kudu (2), bushbuck, nyala, Val rhebok and common reedbuck on my list. Maybe a couple of more species if I come across something exceptional. Obviouly this hunt is now more expensive than packaged deal safari.

The hunt is with an outfit in Nottingham road kwn. The kudu area is in a region called the ‘bushels’ area? From what I understand I would be in the right region for these species? I read Thabazimbi, Alldays and other areas in Limpopo are perhaps better for southern greater kudu, but I prefer free range/short fence as opposed to high fences and smaller areas – thus kwazulu as a destination where I hear the southern greater kudu can be of good quality?

What do our members think of the above safari? Am I on the right track?

Any and all feedback and discussion is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Ali

A little familiar with that area. Quite a bit is wide open country especially inland. But as you approach the coast the vegetation changes drastically. Overall KZN, especially the Nottingham Road area is very picturesque and unique. Quite a diverse land use mix there from dairy farms to hay farms to cattle ranches to open scrub land to heavily wooded canyons. Overall quite a bit different and with a different feel than the country in Limpopo. There is some very steep open grassland with rocky outcroppings all mixed with stringers and patches of heavy woodland creeks and hillsides. Pretty good rainbow trout lakes here and there too! IMO fair to middling for Vaal rhebok, bushbuck and reedbuck with a mixture of other species like blesbok and even some eland scattered here and there depending on land use practices, poaching, disturbance and domestic dog populations. There are very nice reebok and bushbuck taken there every year. Their densities are not great but they do provide the opportunity for true spot and stalk with a chance for fine specimens. The kudu tend to be in isolated pockets of KZN but when I was there four years ago I saw a group of heads harvested that year that were very nice with a couple in the 57"-58" inch range. Not sure where the "Bushels" area is though or where nyala would be outside of high fence?? No matter- I'm sure you'd have a great time and good luck if you go!

Last edited:
Nottingham Road is not a place I would associate with Kudu just off the bat.
Bushbuck, Nyala, Reedbuck and Vaalies yes for sure. I have shot a Common Reedbuck on a farm near Bulwer before. I tend to go to the area for trout fishing rather than hunting.
Its really at the foothills of the Drakensberg and I would think you would have to go quite a bit further NE into Zululand to find any serious Kudu. I would think the outfitter may be based in Notties but hunt in the tribal lands a bit further away.
A proper KZN Kudu is right up there with the ones found in the Limpopo. A lot bigger than the E-Cape specimens.

Mountain Reedbuck from Pongola KZN

IMG_0057.JPG

I do love fishing and have targeted species from trout to black marlin and yellowfin tuna. In kwn if i can get a day tiger fish would be a priority.
But this trip is mainly for specimen size kudu, nyala and reedbuck. Yes the outfitter said Nottingham rd is just home base with travel for most species. The hunt areas are allegedly low fence/free range. After hunting many ecape kudu and only one southern greater which just made the "book" as they call it, i really wanted to spend the time on big kudu. I even told my ph that 2 kudu should be on license.
As i understand common reedbuck and nyala are the biggest in this province. Obviously being an overseas hunter with peter flack books and African hunter II as my main source of info only, it is hard for me to know the best areas are within the kzn province. I do not like hunting in heat and this a major reason i enjoyed the eastern cape fish river area so much and also a factor in choosing kzn.
At best I can be picky for a change and wait for the right animal. With kudu i prefer wider shapes and straight tips as opposed to figure 8 bulls. I am very much a shoot any mature animal type and consider the effort put in to be a part that makes a trophy as well. A little apprehensive as this the first time i hunt with a selective approach. I chose a ph/outfitter based on his record of larger than normal trophies. But again this is new to me and this hunt is more expensive than my usual package hunts.

cheers.

These are some the kudu, nyala , rbuck and bbuck ive hunted over a few safaris.

IMG-20180702-WA0055.jpg
kudu.jpg
KUDU1.jpg
20181014_124834.jpg
bush.jpg
IMG_0409.JPG
IMG-20180626-WA0030.jpg
nyala.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I do love fishing and have targeted species from trout to black marlin and yellowfin tuna. In kwn if i can get a day tiger fish would be a priority.
But this trip is mainly for specimen size kudu, nyala and reedbuck. Yes the outfitter said Nottingham rd is just home base with travel for most species. The hunt areas are allegedly low fence/free range. After hunting many ecape kudu and only one southern greater which just made the "book" as they call it, i really wanted to spend the time on big kudu. I even told my ph that 2 kudu should be on license.
As i understand common reedbuck and nyala are the biggest in this province. Obviously being an overseas hunter with peter flack books and African hunter II as my main source of info only, it is hard for me to know the best areas are within the kzn province. I do not like hunting in heat and this a major reason i enjoyed the eastern cape fish river area so much and also a factor in choosing kzn.
At best I can be picky for a change and wait for the right animal. With kudu i prefer wider shapes and straight tips as opposed to figure 8 bulls. I am very much a shoot any mature animal type and consider the effort put in to be a part that makes a trophy as well. A little apprehensive as this the first time i hunt with a selective approach. I chose a ph/outfitter based on his record of larger than normal trophies. But again this is new to me and this hunt is more expensive than my usual package hunts.

cheers.
Ali,
I believe I know the outfitter you are going with. If it is, they are a dependable and good company! They will do their best to provide opportunities for good animals. That area of the KZN is not known as a kudu hotspot however most outfitters will travel and change locations depending on conditions and where best chances are for any particular species. The Midlands part of KZN is different from many parts of RSA in that low fence working farms and ranches are commonly hunted and in that particular area for the rhebok (necessarily so), bushbuck and reedbuck there are no high fences. There are very good, free range animals taken there each year. But is can be very steep and very open hunting- somewhat different from other areas with thick bush for plains game hunting like the Limpopo Province. No matter, they will do all they can to provide a good hunt and good experience as most outfitters in Africa do.

The trout fishing can be very good for rainbows up to maybe 25-30 inches but it is seasonal, so it's hard to predict fishing conditions in the various dams in the area ahead of time.

I agree with you about cool temperature hunting. Hot and dry is not my favorite either. If you go early in "season" say April-May and there have been rains, it will be very pleasant and green and the animals will be in top condition. Cooler and slightly less humid inland and balmy more humid toward the coast. As with any hunting, go with patience, take what the land gives you- and it may be unexpected, relax and enjoy the experience. :)

that sounds excellent thank you so much

Great areas for the species you want to hunt, wish you all the success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you