Sponsor
Since 2021
AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.huntromania.com
Deals & offers
Media
Hello, had anyone from us problems with the services provided by Kuiu?
I’m Kuiu client and I did many orders. The customer service are replying very late and the phone line is always busy. They should refund me a cancelled order since October, and just empty words from them. Is because I’m foreigner customer or??

You are the word as in "word of mouth" via unclaimed endorsement.... until now anyway. Their loss too because you represent and reflect a fairly large international market. Sorry, but I have zero experience with KUIU.

What was clear to me, from the beginning of their advertising campaign as a relatively young company/brand, is they created a slick niche marketing model based on the concept of catering to a trendy culture for a certain group and generation of outdoors folk. Possibly fairly wealthy, 25-35 year old trust-funders (or older individuals in mid-life crisis) with too much time on their hands and a bucket list of trendy things to do and show off in an endless chain of "one and done adventures". Sensing that about them, I avoided their marketing hype and products like the plague. I avoid the likes of YETI products and REI stores for the same reason. I wouldn't touch a pair of Nikes- if my life depended on it. My guess is they are tone deaf to you even though you are potentially a huge source of free international marketing endorsement because they have gotten very fat very quickly with little effort other than hitting on a trendy theme, marketing to a certain group of "enthusiasts" who are into trendy themes. A group dominated by instant gratification, shallow, selfie-filled lifestyles with little understanding or appreciation of the world outside their own narcissistic circle.

I hope you get it straightened out and wish I had more helpful info about them. Reading your post, pretty much seals the deal- no future market from me. Thanks for posting. And, I really don't care if their products are good or not and I have no problem ignoring after-the-fact endorsements and rebuttals. Easy to find other products that do the same job- just like YETI coolers! It's a big, competitive world out there :)

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately we are experiencing a high volume of returns and are running behind. As soon as the return is processed, an email confirmation will be sent to you. We apologize for the inconvenience of this and appreciate your patience!
This is what I got from them in the last months. I never had this bad experience in my life.

Yea, they have not replied to a message I sent them several weeks ago.

They have a few great products but I buy what I can get from Sitka, often through a couple dealers. And only Kuiu stuff no one else makes. Like the zip off long johns. AKA stripper pants;)

That is unacceptable customer service. They owe you money!
I like Kuiu overall but I lean toward Sitka because I find it more durable.
I hope you get this resolved. We have nearly all businesses in the US understaffed due to government paying people to not work!
Philip

I heard months ago that they were having staffing issues which is pretty common in the USA currently. Like you I have done many orders with them and no complaints. My suggestion is to keep record of your attempts and stay with it-I suspect as holidays end, they will catch up.
I agree that is horrible customer service!

Along those lines-Barnes Bullets has a huge billboard on the freeway system here saying they are hiring for all positions-it has been up since last spring. Behind and busy and need more staff.

i am completely happy with the outfitter line of the old cabelas camo. they dont make the full line of clothing anymore since they sold to bass pro unfortunately. fyi it is rare that you run into a guide or outfitter in alaska wearing kuiu. i remember several trips to kotzebue waiting to be hauled out to our hunting areas up north on the kelly and noatak rivers where you could tell the guides and seasoned hunters by what they were wearing lol
my humble opinion

I like the lightweight solid color pants-they dont wear out in the knees and the crotches don’t tear out and the hems don’t fray around my shoes—they don’t fade and last for years, the side vents are great. And my wife would add they don’t get saggy in the butt like you just pooped yourself. I do own one pair in camo tho in a heavier weight and I love them. BUT that’s not what the op asked about, so I apologize to him

i am completely happy with the outfitter line of the old cabelas camo. they dont make the full line of clothing anymore since they sold to bass pro unfortunately. fyi it is rare that you run into a guide or outfitter in alaska wearing kuiu. i remember several trips to kotzebue waiting to be hauled out to our hunting areas up north on the kelly and noatak rivers where you could tell the guides and seasoned hunters by what they were wearing lol
my humble opinion
Yea, those same Outfitters might not be carrying double rifles or custom bolt guns either. And they do that for large parts of the year so a little extra weight may not make any difference.

It is damned nice to be able to put your long johns on, or take them off, without taking your boots off! Sure enjoyed that feature on my mountain goat hunt!

And some of the Kuiu pants have those vents you can unzip to let a breeze through. As well as lightweight knee pads. Both very nice to have on an African hunt where you can be freezing in the morning and sweltering a couple hours later. And might be crawling with all sorts of prickly things on the ground.

If you can afford a little extra comfort why not? Not a lot different concept than spending an extra $10,000 to have duel climate control. Heated and cooled and 12 way power adjustable seats, high end stereo, etc in a new pickup truck.

However in all cases, proper customer service is certainly expected. And superior customer service should be provided on any of the high end items!

You are the word as in "word of mouth" via unclaimed endorsement.... until now anyway. Their loss too because you represent and reflect a fairly large international market. Sorry, but I have zero experience with KUIU.

What was clear to me, from the beginning of their advertising campaign as a relatively young company/brand, is they created a slick niche marketing model based on the concept of catering to a trendy culture for a certain group and generation of outdoors folk. Possibly fairly wealthy, 25-35 year old trust-funders (or older individuals in mid-life crisis) with too much time on their hands and a bucket list of trendy things to do and show off in an endless chain of "one and done adventures". Sensing that about them, I avoided their marketing hype and products like the plague. I avoid the likes of YETI products and REI stores for the same reason. I wouldn't touch a pair of Nikes- if my life depended on it. My guess is they are tone deaf to you even though you are potentially a huge source of free international marketing endorsement because they have gotten very fat very quickly with little effort other than hitting on a trendy theme, marketing to a certain group of "enthusiasts" who are into trendy themes. A group dominated by instant gratification, shallow, selfie-filled lifestyles with little understanding or appreciation of the world outside their own narcissistic circle.

I hope you get it straightened out and wish I had more helpful info about them. Reading your post, pretty much seals the deal- no future market from me. Thanks for posting. And, I really don't care if their products are good or not and I have no problem ignoring after-the-fact endorsements and rebuttals. Easy to find other products that do the same job- just like YETI coolers! It's a big, competitive world out there :)

I agree with the OP this customer service is not acceptable and I hope they take care of him.

Your post just speaks to a lot of your own insecurities though..... I love kuiu gear. But that is because I get out of the truck and go.... hunt. If you have ever in your life stepped foot on a mountain and did a alpine hunt carrying your life on your back. You would never have made those comments as it is truly unanimous in that world that kuiu makes great gear. Not saying everyone uses it, but everyone knows the quality of this gear. But for you, sitting in the back of the backie.... your khaki shirt and short shorts will work just fine.

Yea, those same Outfitters might not be carrying double rifles or custom bolt guns either. And they do that for large parts of the year so a little extra weight may not make any difference.

It is damned nice to be able to put your long johns on, or take them off, without taking your boots off! Sure enjoyed that feature on my mountain goat hunt!

And some of the Kuiu pants have those vents you can unzip to let a breeze through. As well as lightweight knee pads. Both very nice to have on an African hunt where you can be freezing in the morning and sweltering a couple hours later. And might be crawling with all sorts of prickly things on the ground.

If you can afford a little extra comfort why not? Not a lot different concept than spending an extra $10,000 to have duel climate control. Heated and cooled and 12 way power adjustable seats, high end stereo, etc in a new pickup truck.

However in all cases, proper customer service is certainly expected. And superior customer service should be provided on any of the hogh end items!
i agree in full, and have heard great reviews about what quality kuiu is.

you are correct, i hevent seen a double rifle or high end bolt gun up there, because alaska rifles eventually get the hell beat out of them. ive never been on a hunt up there where at some point you werent hunting in the rain/snow. with the river crossings, bank and hill
climbing, and guns being banged around in camp/in the bush planes/etc i would be hard pressed to bring a double even though i have two and would love to bring the 450 on a griz hunt some time. i just cant see myself bringing one and will stick with my 416 RM bolt for bear. id love to get one with my 450 nitro double though.
my 2 cents

However in all cases, proper customer service is certainly expected. And superior customer service should be provided on any of the high end items!

Yes it is hard to argue against how good this gear is and how hunting intended it was designed for. Its not just a jacket and pants like every other brand. Sitka is really nice too, oh by the way founded by the exact same guy who founded kuiu. Most people don't know that. He had a partner screw him and force a sale to Gortex. So he made a deal that there would be no non compete clause. Then started kuiu with his money.

When was the last time you were in Alaska? I have never been to Alaska but numerous hunts in northern BC and the Yukon. Literally every guide in the camp had kuiu. Maybe not a full set of gear but the most common were the backpacks (hands down the best one IMO), the rain gear and there down puffys. I also love the merino layers, I realize I can buy merino anywhere. But my favorite garment from kuiu is the merino base layer with the hoodie. I hate when the wind hits me in the ears on the mountain. Even on moderately warm days. So keeping this hoodie up but its thin so I don't over heat is clutch. I wore this same garment almost every day on my last October trip to Limpopo. In that instance it was to keep my skin from scalding in that hot ass sun lol. But again being merino wicked sweat away beautifully and kept me comfortable.

In regards to other gear, yes of course a nice wooden double with beautiful engravings is not a tool for the alpine hunt. That doesn't mean expensive gear can't be used. In the military I was handed a $20k weapon system that I eventually beat the shit out of. That is exactly why they spent so much. Making sure it would withstand the real life abuse that is inevitable in proper use. On those alpine hunts you don't have a nice soft felt gun rack in the back of the backie lol. I run a fierce firearms with a vortex gen 2 pst scope. And this set up is scratched all over the place. Scope and rifle, but so be it. Its a tool. My hammer in the garage has scratches on it too from doing its job. It still performs exactly as needed.

Last edited:
One thing on guides wearing a name brand of cammo or outer wear is that they either get a huge discount on it or have it given to them to wear in front of their clients.

I know a number of outfitters who wear it just for the above reason and nothing else.

Never had an issue getting refunds on returns through Kuiu. Disappointing to hear they are not responding promptly to your requests.
Really like their quality and useful clothing/pack products...works for me and my hunting requirements nicely.

I am a big fan of First Lite. They are a relatively new company, though aren't they all. The prices have gone up in recent years, but still a wonderful product and priced fairly. A lot of their line is athletic fit so sometimes going up a size wouldn't hurt (though a lot of their stuff is stretchy)

I have a few Kuiu pieces. Like anywhere else all the gear they make isn’t great and no ones is. I pick the good pieces that I know of between pnuma, Sitka, Kuiu, nomad, etc.
The times I have bought from them there were no issues. Staffing problems are everywhere right now though. My work is having a hard time hiring people and we are in SC. Seems everyone wants to move here and we still trying to hire people…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you