Kudu - Walk & Stalk - Oranges

Ramon Allen

Reaction score
Hunted
Springbuck, Impala, Gemsbuck, Kudu, Warthpg, Guineafowl…
On recently speaking with an “experienced” Hunter, he advises that he would normally take 2or 3 oranges with him. On getting to a “suitable” site, he will quarter the Oranges and place the quarters at at points in close proximity to his position- and wait. This smell/scent/aroma of the oranges will entice a kudu to come out into the opening. Has an of you either heard of this action - or tried it? I’m going out next week and I’ve considered the idea.

I thought plains game are not hunted over bait.
Krish

I thought plains game are not hunted over bait.
Krish
Thanks Krish. I would never class myself as a “Hunter” but I go out, probably once - sometimes twice - in the Season…just to get out of town. It’s always been in the Kimberley/Northern Cape area. I walk/stalk on my own, without a guide. I find that it’s great to be in the veld - and I take a rifle with…just in case. Hence my question

Giday Ramon and welcome to the A H forums

When i saw the title of the thread, i thought it reffers to blaze orange safety jacket...

The baboons might beat the kudu to the oranges

Let us know how your experiment goes

Wild euro boar loves to scratch his back on a thar applied on a tree, and loves to eat bait of rotten fish.
Roe deer loves carrots and lettuce.

Bottom line, i would not be supprised if kudu is attracted to oranges.

Nothing would surprise me anymore. I'm sure an orange might attract almost anything. ;)

I'll be interested to hear the result.

Welcome to AH!

On recently speaking with an “experienced” Hunter, he advises that he would normally take 2or 3 oranges with him. On getting to a “suitable” site, he will quarter the Oranges and place the quarters at at points in close proximity to his position- and wait. This smell/scent/aroma of the oranges will entice a kudu to come out into the opening. Has an of you either heard of this action - or tried it? I’m going out next week and I’ve considered the idea.
So if he is down wild of said bait and his scent mingles with the citrus this makes no difference?

But yes kudu love citrus as well as sunflowers.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you