Kudu - Namibia or Limpopo?

TEX84

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
If I want to shoot a mature kudu in the 53-55 inch range, where are my best chances of doing that without having to pay by the inch?

I would say as much as area is important giving yourself the days you need is more important. You could hunt that size kudu in limpo,northwest,natal and Namibia. I would say there is even more place then that but I am talking in south Africa or Namibia. With 7 days of hunting and passing on the smaller ones it can be done.

There's Botswana as well, although those type bulls are doable in a lot of places I believe...

I can't help but think that you will surely wish to hunt more than just the Kudu while there, but I could be wrong.

If so, you may want to include that consideration in your equation.

I imagine that there are going to be a lot of offers headed your way by outfitters here who have plenty of what you seek.

Quite possible in Namibia.
One at Ozondjahe Safaris that is probably that size by now
IMG_0775.JPG

No paying by the inch.

I left a few at Kanana but you can't hunt there anymore.

They can be found in Limpopo and KZN without a doubt.

I wasn't gonna use the "K" word Brick! lol

It makes me sad to think about the demise of hunting at Kanana... well, at least we got a few licks in while it was good, and made some great friends in the process.

Good luck in your search, TEX84.

It's hard to beat the free range kudu with Die Keiler in Namibia, no sliding scale, the price for trophy fees on kudu are less in Namibia. But I think the best chance for huge kudu is probably high fence hunts in Limpopo on top quality ranches.

I hunted last year in Namibia and the Natal region of RSA and had the opportunity at a few Kudu of that size. It was the rut and I passed up a nice wide spread one in Namibia that I may regret. Hunt in May during the rut and you will see big kudu. Kudu was not on my list last year.

Kudu in that range are not easy to come by especially if that is your main stated goal, if you take my meaning. Go for 10 days, and keep telling yourself you are hunting " gemsbuck" or monsta impala" or "sable". Never place any importance on a big kudu, or you probably wont find one unless you are a lucky hunter.

Reactions: lcq
Jason was at Kanana and is now at Tholo safaris in Botswana. Have some specials and should have Kudu that size. SS safaris in Limpopo claims a 53 inch average for the last 11yrs. Almost any good safari company with a decent amount of land in Limpopo should get you there. Same story for a lot of the outfits in Namibia. Like was mentioned, pick a secondary species to make a final decision on where to hunt. Then try to go in May away from the full moon and catch the rut. Likely to see a number of very good Kudu. Good luck. Bruce

Reactions: lcq
SS Pro safaris can back that claim up, it is fantastic place to hunt kudu!

a good one ,hunted on free range in Namibia is more dignified on my wall,as a fenced, feeded and vaccinated Record from RSA.
And it's more African spirit,where is talking to me.
Here, a good old bull was searching shadow for the midday sun.
These are quite normal distances in Namibia .
8x68 S and .300WinMag are perfect for them.
When you think the shoulder is free,you are wrong.
Foxi
Kudu.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few examples from my area in Limpopo:

55"

54.5"

58.5"

59 7/8

We have some more her and I don't charge by the inch.

Best,

Chris

Attachments

• image_zps67dd8c27.jpg
    image_zps67dd8c27.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 263
  • Mark_Kudu.jpg
    Mark_Kudu.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 305
  • image_zps51e69c18.jpg
    image_zps51e69c18.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Jytte_Kudu_zps2d1496e9.jpg
    Jytte_Kudu_zps2d1496e9.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 403
Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE that third one Chris. I personally like Kudu that aren't too wide, nor too narrow. Being 58.5 sure doesn't hurt, but it is the shape that draws me to that one more than anything.

Tex84, since you're a fellow Texan I feel I can be frank with you and you can relate to what I'm saying. I've hunted both SA and Namibia. Most of SA is hunting on smaller, high fenced game ranches that stock game on a put and take basis, regardless of what you may read or be told. Hunting is very similar to these same type high fenced operations in the Texas Hill Country. Namibia on the other hand, properties may or may not be high fenced, but hunting is done on much larger properties, often times 20,000 acres or more. This type of arrangement is much more to my personal taste. I also refuse to hunt with outfitters who charge trophy fees on a sliding scale basis. Too many great places in Namibia for instance that do not do this.

Since both types of hunting, SA game ranches and the more wide open spaces of Namibia are entirely legal, you can make up your mind as to what your personal thoughts are. There are big kudu to be had both ways, but even if the odds are bigger in SA (not saying they are), small high fences aren't my style. I'll even say I was kind of fooled once, but won't happen again. Finding out exactly what you're getting into can be tougher than you would think with regards to getting some SA safari operators to be 100% factual. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know........ya know?

Yes Royal, you're right - that one is a dandy.

And none of them were vaccinated, fed or fenced.

Best,

Chris

Yes Royal, you're right - that one is a dandy.

And none of them were vaccinated, fed or fenced.

Best,

Chris

I would make sure it was regularly dusted, while hanging on my wall! :)

Thanks guys! This is some really good info.

My sons and I shot these at Kowas in Namibia this past June. They all fit within your specifications.
IMG_0408.JPG
IMG_0448.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg