Kudu Bull Over 60 Inches Pictures

Some excellent field judging by the group. The Kudu measures 58 1/4 inch and as I reflect on the hunt I was sure the bull was going to top 60 inches because of the flared tips. While he did not make 60 he is by far the best Kudu I have seen in the wild and I was very pleased with the hunt.

Here one over 60 from the Kalahari. In the field and at my home.

Bots Kudu copy 3.jpg
IMG_0994 2.jpg

There are some magnificent kudu bulls in Save Valley Conservancy in Zimbabwe. They do exceptionally well on those granite kopjes.

There are some magnificent kudu bulls in Save Valley Conservancy in Zimbabwe. They do exceptionally well on those granite kopjes.

I agree, the Save is a very special place. It seems that you are constantly in game there.

I shot a very nice kudu in the upper Luangwa on my very first safari. At the time I did not appreciate how good it was. As I’ve continued to hunt Africa I have come to realize that my very first African trophy is likely the biggest kudu I will see in the wild.

63 inch Kudu

2c26ee3f-bee2-49cc-a52d-bb48091e8d5d.jpg

I remember the NKWE invite here on AHF a few months ago and I see someone headed that way :) Heckuva kudu! My gut tells me the kudu gene pool in that area of the Kalahari is pretty darn good and the habitat agrees with them. I believe the same also holds true for the oryx there. While some may not care for the oft times bleak appearance of the Kalahari around Ghanzi, especially during the dry season, something about that area appeals to me, including the San culture.

San cultural.JPG

Since both my 2020 and 2021 safari opportunities have been wiped out due to the obvious, I feel a need to reminisce and wax poetic I guess :):) I so clearly remember pulling into Ghanzi for the first time and having a dejavu moment related to a movie... of all things. I had watched Dundee I and II so many times, Walkabout Creek (town of McKinlay) had burned an image into my mind. Ghanzi Botswana struck me as simply a larger version Walkabout Creek Australia !! I remember having quite a pleasant meal and drink at the outdoor dining area attached to one of the older hotels there, IIRC the Kalahari Arms, maybe the only go-to hotel in Ghanzi. Somewhat slow service but friendly. I think more a function of the laid back nature of people there. Actually very refreshing and simple.

I must have the covid crazies :) And thanks for indulging my odd post... I would recommend Botswana to anyone interested in Africa.

Ghanzi.jpg

Last edited:
Zambezi valley September 2021, Charlton McCallum safaris. PH was Alan Shearing. 60.5” x 61” base was 13” in diameter.

C3AD34EB-4ED2-4688-BDC4-5F6001C83A46.jpeg
4F2EE323-B848-46FC-B3C8-AE6A67C601F7.jpeg
9EC63100-F241-4F1E-89EF-77D566E8A2FB.jpeg
CAD30CB6-3CDE-4F3D-86E8-7BEA88F32B52.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG

Sad thing is this bull was never hunted.

So, a pick up? How many inches is it?
I believe the bull died before the hunter came in, but he had already purchased the animal. If memory serves the bull was owned by the Morten family and sold by .

With that said it is a beautiful animal I wonder who did the mount?

My best.
J

I believe the bull died before the hunter came in, but he had already purchased the animal. If memory serves the bull was owned by the Morten family and sold by .

With that said it is a beautiful animal I wonder who did the mount?

My best.
J
He purchased the bull before he got there? Was promised THAT bull? Hmmmm... must have been a bit of a let down that it died of old age before he got there.....

He purchased the bull before he got there? Was promised THAT bull? Hmmmm... must have been a bit of a let down that it died of old age before he got there.....
That is the way I have it, yes.
My best always.
Jaco

A friend has a high fence operation. They had a 200+ inch buck that has been sold to a client.

The outfitter and client are glassing the buck when it falls over dead. This was a couple months ago.

Last edited:
'Biggest ones I ever personally witnessed were in Zimbabwe. Missed an opportunity at a 60ish monster up on the clifftops above the Knott citrus plantation outside of Beitbridge along the Limpopo (had to settle for 53" later on) and my son saw another Monster along the Mkwasine river that runs into the Save. The former area was known previously as "Greater Kuduland" once upon a time, I believe. 'Have seen some huge kudu in Namibia as well (usually running away, full-speed! All over the country-C./NW/Caprivi) Jim Shockey shot a HUGE one with Hentie Von Eerdin (sp) in Namib years back. There is a place E. of Windhoek that's famous for big kudu.

A friend has a high fence operation. They had a 200+ inch buck that has been sold to a client.

The outfitter and client are glassing the buck when it falls over dead. This was a couple months ago.
Unbelievable! Probably soiled himself!

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.