Kruger safari guide saved from a leopard....

that's one tuff/ desperate leopard......the guide did alright ,too....can only imagine the chaos inside the vehicle
thanks for showing us adrian

I frankly feel bad for the cat. Starving or injured and then run over twice. God knows how long it took a ranger to get out there and finish him.

the cat being that skinny and injured , it was more than likely a dead spots walking, the guide has a duty of care towards his occupants, and its not as though he lined the bloody leopard up ,to bowl it over , when it latched on to him , it says he was instructing some one to keep their head or hands inside the ute.......
he, in my opinion done everything right .......
the fella in the mini van , may of over reacted , but was probly trying to stop a repeat performance ........

I frankly feel bad for the cat. Starving or injured and then run over twice. God knows how long it took a ranger to get out there and finish him.
They brought it to a vet and euthanized it.

Did not say anyone did anything wrong. But I feel bad for the cat. His "habitat" had clearly become the equivalent of an amusement park. I am just sick that it likely gives us a window into the likely future environment of what little wildlife will remain in Africa as the human population continues to explode.

That cat was sick and starved. Anyone can see that. It is due to the unnatural drive through park with no hunting allowed. I could tell by the pic taken earlier in the day before the incident that that cat would be trouble. He could have even had rabies. If there were any "rangers" or "management" he would have been killed long before this unfortunate incident. Blame the driver? I don't think so.
Philip

Sigh, no one - least of all me - blamed any of the drivers. I blamed a world that places such an animal as a tourist spectacle in the middle of a wildlife equivalent to Disney World's parking lot. Much the same as the bears begging a living at Yellowstone's parking lots and scenic overlooks.

l know what you mean , bloke.
its sad that such a majestic animal ,is put in such a position , but even in disneys carpark , nature , is a cruel place.........

Anti's way of "Hunting" Leopard

I did not pay much attention to the latest report of a Leopard attack in the Park. Newspapers said it was a injured Leopard and that it was pushed off the man with another vehicle. Just watched the footage and I am so mad I could catch Black Mamba with my bare hands and use jet fuel for mouth wash!! I am not going to throw my opinion out there,better to make up your own.

http://you.co.za/news/horrific-video-emerges-of-leopard-attacking-guide-in-kruger-park/

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you that I dont agree with running it down with a truck. Change the scenary to a Leopard attacking a Hunter and it getting knocked about by the PH in a Cruiser and the Anti's will have a field day.

I can tell you that I dont agree with running it down with a truck. Change the scenary to a Leopard attacking a Hunter and it getting knocked about by the PH in a Cruiser and the Anti's will have a field day.

I was thinking the same thing. I think the immediate danger to people had passed at that point? Well at least if there wasn't so many cars around he could have easily drove away. Hitting just added to the leopards suffering.

These type of park drives bother me. One of the shots I it looks like New York at rush hour with all the cars lined up watching the incident. That's why I hunt so I can experience nature on as being part of it, not from inside a car!

My sentiments too, if that were a hunting party, the anti's would be calling for blood and banning all hunting while disgracing the hunter and ph all over the internet...

more than likely if it were a well managed hunting area, any animal in such deteriorated condition may have been better managed and not got to such a state.

im not religious by any means but i will believe this cat is now at peace and in gods care.

Kruger National Park, must be one of the most amazing places left on this planet. No way can it be compared to Disneyland or an amusement park. KNP believes that nature must take it's natural way, they won't just kill an animal if it's sick. I feel for the leopard, but we have to realize this reserve with dangerous animals, things can go wrong. The park needs the money from tourism to survive, it's a bit of a catch 22. I do wonder about allowing open vehicles in the park, if that leopard had gotten inside, the .........would have hit the fan.

For me that cat is so much better off. It's clear he was sick and starving. I think the driver did his best given the situation. I did not like to see that animal run over by the truck but then again are we sure that was the drivers intent? I didn't see anywhere they discussed the driver injuries. This brings to memory about a women recently mauled by lion in Kruger. They may need to rethink open truck viewing. Anti's think they are tame, we know better.

The public is absolutely clueless. An outcry for putting a very sick animal out of its misery???o_O:rolleyes:

South Africa: Sanparks to Report Back On Kruger Leopard Attack

By Naledi Shange, News24
The SA National Parks (SANParks) will on Thursday host a briefing in Pretoria where it will reveal whether the tourist guide who was mauled by a leopard in the Kruger National Park earlier this month was in any way at fault.

SANParks spokesperson Reynold Thakhuli said there had been a public outcry after the animal was put down following the attack, with some saying the guide was to blame for the incident.

At the time, William Mabasa, SANParks general manager, communications and marketing, said this was due to the extent of the injuries that the animal had suffered.

On Wednesday, Thakuli said: "We have done what others would call an autopsy on the animal to determine its status [the extent of the injuries]."

This would prove whether SANParks acted accordingly in putting the animal down.
The attack on the tourist guide was captured on photographs by a visitor at the park.

After the attack, SANParks released statements from eyewitnesses that said the tourist guide was with about six to eight tourists in his Open Safari Vehicle and they had been watching the leopard for some time.

"The animal cunningly disappeared, probably went around the guide's [driver's] side while the group was still searching for it. The guide had relaxed on the OSV when suddenly the leopard leapt and grabbed his arm, trying to jump into the vehicle," Mabasa had said.

According to the SANParks statement the tourists started hitting the leopard with any object they had but the leopard would not let go of the guide's arm.

"A tourist from another vehicle repeatedly used his vehicle to scare off the animal until it eventually let go. From the eyewitnesses who were there nobody provoked the scene. The exact distance was not measured, so we can't say with certainty that it was two metres," read the statement.

Said Mabasa: "When you are in a closed vehicle you can get as close as a metre. Being in an open vehicle you need to judge what is a safe distance but the most important thing is to create space to be able to react in any given situation."

Source: News24

I listened to the autopsy report yesterday, there was no food content in the leopard, had severe mange, TB, swollen gall bladder, thus the leopard was unable to hunt for food.

But on one of the news papers today, didn't get to read the report......tourist had been feeding the leopard.

Guide was aquited of any wrong doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!