AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Got me a new toy! Doesn’t appear to have ever been fired.

Took it out for a preserve pheasant hunt. Shotgun works well (once I get use to the safety location!) My old eyes don’t focus well enough to use the open sights for the 30-06. Looking for a mount to use one of my Burris Fastfire sights.
Luckily I don’t need sights for shotgunning. It fits/aligns well enough. A couple of my shotguns don’t even have a bead...not sure why they even put a bead on a shotgun.

I’m thinking this might work well with light 30-06 loads for night critters in Africa.

3AFAF18A-320D-4631-809B-136A0A32AC90.jpeg
8E0A9041-C940-49F8-9131-DCBC7C836705.jpeg
D4DE163F-A832-4831-916B-6A26327667A8.jpeg
6BB43111-56FE-4801-9BB4-00EDCF567729.jpeg
4EB511F4-25C3-498F-8C16-CB92F171275C.jpeg
D635D108-EEB1-4432-A0B6-30392C5BE87D.jpeg
38E8C063-614E-4D27-8F34-1C96EACED0DE.jpeg
739B1956-1175-4399-8934-53D866B269AA.jpeg
0EDEFE1F-55D8-494A-9CF4-7FEBAA2CB071.jpeg
637B2466-C68D-4DB8-9798-44D09A247D62.jpeg
F164B43A-EC56-418E-976D-5FB1C26F47BD.jpeg

Oh man what a find...I am jealous...congratulations on a great find

Sa-weet gun! +1 on jealous bordering on coveting

Thanks guys! I’ve always wanted one of these.
For rifle load-I’m thinking I need to work up a good 180-200 grain load and a 110-125 grain (under 2,000 fps) for a combination of big game/plains game and small game/night critters.
For shotgun loads-maybe a #7 1/2 or #6 shot 1 1/8 oz for birds and #4 buck 1 1/2 oz for night critters.
I have a 110 FMJ 1,926 fps load that I have used on turkeys, bobcats, grouse, etc that’s accurate in my bolt 30-06.
My 180 gr Nosler load I will try and my 200 gr Nosler Partition and 200 gr Swift A-frame loads are very accurate in my bolt guns.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Beautiful rifle.

I understand traditional double rifle/shotgun trigger sequencing, front trigger is right barrel, back trigger is left barrel.
How does it work on a drilling traditionally?

BeeMaa, there is a rifle cocking thumb slide just behind the barrel break release. It cocks the rifle front trigger. At the same time, it raises the rear sight. You push the front set trigger forward and it sets the “hair” trigger.
To disengage, there is a button on top of the thumb slide. Push it in and the rifle barrel disengages.
Others may work a bit differently.

Pretty cool with the whole rear sight popping up.
Very Teutonic.
Ja...ja.

Appreciate the education.

Oh I like that! Beautiful brother!

Thanks JB! Can’t wait to take something besides pheasants.
It’s choked improved modified and full, so if I’m not on my game, it won’t drop. I’m planning to try sporting clays when warmer weather arrives this spring. I should get humbled with those tight chokes!:cry:

So when are you going to send it to JJ Perodeau for a set of claw rings and bases? (y) You and I are of an age where scopes are useful if not almost essential. Don’t destroy that rib trying some shade tree gunsmith solution.

I spreader loads in my really tightly choked Teutonic guns and drillings for shooting clays. You’ll get a remarkably even IC - Mod pattern.

Great gun. Congrats.

Took it out for a preserve pheasant hunt. Shotgun works well (once I get use to the safety location!) My old eyes don’t focus well enough to use the open sights for the 30-06. Looking for a mount to use one of my Burris Fastfire sights.
Luckily I don’t need sights for shotgunning. It fits/aligns well enough. A couple of my shotguns don’t even have a bead...not sure why they even put a bead on a shotgun.

I’m thinking this might work well with light 30-06 loads for night critters in Africa.

View attachment 313859 View attachment 313860 View attachment 313861 View attachment 313862 View attachment 313863 View attachment 313864 View attachment 313865 View attachment 313866 View attachment 313867 View attachment 313868 View attachment 313869

Excellent buy I have the same combo in a JP Sauer it is an amazing deer gun and all around pleasure to hunt with. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. Make sure you go with traditional claw mounts if you decide to scope it.

Looks new to me. Good luck learning how to properly use it!

View attachment 313859 View attachment 313860 View attachment 313861 View attachment 313862 View attachment 313863 View attachment 313864 View attachment 313865 View attachment 313866 View attachment 313867 View attachment 313868 View attachment 313869
Front trigger is usually a set trigger that you have to push forward to set if you didn’t know that already.

So pristine...and such a useful combo...no way I would NOT take it to Africa!

Ridge Walker
Congratulations on an excellent piece . A triple barrel is fascinating . May l ask what level of choke is present in the barrels ? Were l to speculate , l would say half choke and quarter choke .
Also , is the .30-06 calibre barrel designed for the 180 grain bullet or the 220 grain bullet ( like Remington core lock ) .
At either rate , it is a fine gun and you will not be disappointed . I envy you in a healthy manner.

Wow, what a nice piece of German engineering!!
Let me know if you get tired of it!

Awesome acquisition. I bought my first when I was living in Germany. That started a disease for me. I have several and hunted with them extensively. I remember one day where I shot a red fox with a load of #4s and forgot to switch the barrel select to the rifle when a deer came by within moments. The second load of #4s never reached him and he only looked up with disdain and then trotted off. I see you also have cocking indicators beside the top lever. One other point, when it is dark and you are trying to remember without looking, if the rifle barrel is selected, now you can slide your off hand down the top rib and when you reach the flip up rear sight, well there is your answer, rifle is selected if the sight is up. Nice piece.

May l ask what level of choke is present in the barrels ? Were l to speculate , l would say half choke and quarter choke .
Also , is the .30-06 calibre barrel designed for the 180 grain bullet or the 220 grain bullet ( like Remington core lock ) .

Kawshik, the chokes are improved-modified and full. I think they are so tight because drilling’s are typically used from a stand and need a longer reach.
The rifle barrel is factory tested using a 180 grain Remington cartridge, so I assume it is the standard 1:10” rifling. Good question so I’ll check that out.

One other point, when it is dark and you are trying to remember without looking, if the rifle barrel is selected, now you can slide your off hand down the top rib and when you reach the flip up rear sight, well there is your answer, rifle is selected if the sight is up.

Germanfan, that’s a good thing to know. I’ll practice it, so it becomes a habit for after dark.

So when are you going to send it to JJ Perodeau for a set of claw rings and bases? (y) You and I are of an age where scopes are useful if not almost essential. Don’t destroy that rib trying some shade tree gunsmith solution.

I spreader loads in my really tightly choked Teutonic guns and drillings for shooting clays. You’ll get a remarkably even IC - Mod pattern.

Great gun. Congrats.

Im planning on calling JJ Perodeau soon to get the claw mount process started. You are 100% correct in my mind about messing this beauty up with a shade tree gunsmith! Now that I’ve made such an investment, I don’t want to screw it up.

Question Redleg, can you shoot the shotgun barrels (if you need too?) with the scope in place?

Another question: I made my own spreader loads years ago, but I haven’t seen any for sale in years. Where did you get yours?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Im planning on calling JJ Perodeau soon to get the claw mount process started. You are 100% correct in my mind about messing this beauty up with a shade tree gunsmith! Now that I’ve made such an investment, I don’t want to screw it up.

Question Redleg, can you shoot the shotgun barrels (if you need too?) with the scope in place?

Another question: I made my own spreader loads years ago, but I haven’t seen any for sale in years. Where did you get yours?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Germans shoot the shotgun barrels from highseats regularly with scopes attached when sitting for game. Normally they are looking for roe deer, but should a fox walk out inside forty-yards, a load of 6's is about perfect. I have done it with mine many times. You can also get a .22lr or mag insert barrel for that right shotgun barrel. The barrel is sighted/adjysted to the scope which, of course, you would have already sighted to the '06 barrel. That way, when you decide to pot a squirrel or rabbit with the .22, you can use the set trigger (those Teutonic geniuses!) Obviously, trying to shoot flying with a scope is a non-starter, but that is why you want claw mounts.

Spend some little while discussing scope choices with JJ. The easiest (and cheapest) are straight tube or rail scopes.

All my spreader loads were either Fiocchi or a home load using a BP wad. I know that Fiocchi still loads them, though I am not sure who would carry them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg