Krieghoff Drilling 12ga X 22LR X 243

CD24

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I came across a Krieghoff drilling today in a small mom and pop shop in Mississippi. It is in 12ga X 22lr X 243. The gun is used but seems to be in pretty good shape. They are asking 5K for it.

Does anyone have any experience with these drilling rifles? Is there anything in particular I need to be looking for? Is 5k a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance!

Design and function of Krieghoff firearms is beyond reproach. If you like it, and it fits you and your purposes, I suggest that you buy it. The price is within reason.

Design and function of Krieghoff firearms is beyond reproach. If you like it, and it fits you and your purposes, I suggest that you buy it. The price is within reason.
So you have found an extraordinarily rare gun if that .22 barrel is a separate rifle barrel rather than a .22 insert into the other 12 bore barrel. If everything is correct on it, no problems with springs or solder then they are asking the high end value of such a gun (depending upon engraving and lock design). Assuming everything functions as advertised, I would be angling for something like 3900. On the other hand, if the barrels don't ring like a church bell, then I wouldn't touch it for any price.

Without detailed photography of everything, it is almost impossible to value such a gun. Even with them, there are a host of things to look at that aren't apparent in photos. All that said, such a combination is very rare. Are you certain it isn't an insert barrel in the other 12 bore barrel?

Last edited:
So you have found an extraordinarily rare gun if that .22 barrel is a separate rifle barrel rather than a .22 insert into the other 12 bore barrel. If everything is correct on it, no problems with springs or solder then they are asking the high end value of such a gun (depending upon engraving and lock design). Assuming everything functions as advertised, I would be angling for something like 3900. On the other hand, if the barrels don't ring like a church bell, then I wouldn't touch it for any price.

Without detailed photography of everything, it is almost impossible to value such a gun. Even with them, there are a host of things to look at that aren't apparent in photos. All that said, such a combination is very rare. Are you certain it isn't an insert barrel in the other 12 bore barrel?
It is an insert. I suppose they can be changed fairly easily?

It is an insert. I suppose they can be changed fairly easily?
So, you have 12 bore x 12 bore x .243 drilling with a .22 cal insert. A special hex key is used to remove and reinsert the sub-caliber barrel. The insert barrel is sighted to the scope rather than the other way around, because the sights will be adjusted to the primary rifle barrel. If it is already so adjusted great. If not, there are tiny shims on the barrel that require the patience of Job.

Does it have a scope and claw mounts or Krieghoff slide-on mounts or merely bases of some sort?

A 12 bore and .243 are very rare in a drilling regardless of the manufacturer. I suspect it was made for the American market after WWII rather than being a GI bring back.. The .22 insert is very European however. Many Americans who own a drilling have never seen an insert.

Is it boxlock (trigger plate) or a sidelock? If a sidelock and extensively engraved it might be a "Neptune" model and someone could try to get as much as $10 or $12K for it. They never sell for that, but are often so priced. Assuming it is a Trumpt boxlock, you will see them priced typically between 3500 and 5500. The lower priced ones sell and the higher end tend to sit around.

I am no expert on drillings and doubles, but I would strongly suggest testing the rifle, at the range, especiallly in price range as above mentioned.
(range test will give a lot of good answers)

This will include several types of ammo, with focus on point of impact, and barrel regulation:
12 GA, slugs (brenneke type of slugs) - with two soft bore barrels, up to 50 meters, or less.
22lr with insert
All at same range distance.

What about the scope, and mounts, does it have it?

Finally a photo would be helpful, if possible to post here. Plus any additional information on model and type.

Regarding the price, age of the rifle matters too. Was it built in the last 30 years or last 100?

I bought a Hyme drilling off this board that is 16 gauge, 16 gauge with a 22 hornet full length insert, and 7x65R.

You might imagine the cool possibilities of such a gun on a night hunt for little critters but where you may take a hyena or bushbuck with the 7mm. Greysbok with a 22 hornet. Or Genet with the 16 gauge.

However the nightmare can be getting and keeping those barrels all regulated. Especially if you wish to use the scope for both rifles.

I just got mine back from J.J. Perodeou. One firing pin (22 hornet) was buggered up. And he regulated the 22 hornet and 7x65R to 100 yards on the claw mount scope. He definitely has some challenges doing it, but it was all at reasonable cost.

I paid about half what you are talking here. With a Swarovski claw mount scope.

I had not considered those challenges. I think I’d be better off with a 12ga/30-06 or 308 O/U. Thanks everyone!

Just for reference this is what the short Krieghoff "Extra" .22 LR insert for 12 gauge will look like. I have seen more to fit a 16 ga chamber than a 12 here in the states, and not many of those. This thing is very accurate with 40 grain subsonic ammunition.

thumbnail_20210414_131037.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have a couple of those inserts sitting in a drawer, just waiting for me to buy another drilling to put them in. They work very well. My original comment about the 5K as a reasonable price is different now that we know that it is a more typical double barrel shotgun with rifle under. Some German makers actually did make full length .22 LR barrels, and the rarity and uniqueness of that configuration would affect value. Red Leg's comments are spot on and match my experience.

I think I’d be better off with a 12ga/30-06 or 308 O/U.
This is an option.

But I would advise to reconsider the rifle caliber:
It is better to choose some of the rimmed cartridges for break action combination gun, for more reliable extraction, or ejection, such as:
.30 R Blaser
7x65R
8x57 JRS
9.3x74R

American classics may be:
30-30 winchester
45-70 govt,
But I am not aware of any combination gun, chambered for american rimmed cartirdges. So, most probably it will be some of european calibers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg