Krieghoff Classic Double Rifle Accuracy

Hunter4752001

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
A question for the Krieghoff owners.

I've recently seen a nice Krieghoff Classic Double in 9.3x74R for sale. I'm quite comfortable that the Krieghoff will be sufficiently accurate for plains game up to say 100 meters, My concern is what sort of accuracy can I expect at 200 to 350 meters?

I've got one. With a scope sighted to one barrel, you can treat it pretty much like a hunting bolt action, stay within the calibre limitations and you'll be fine. On a 9.3 you can adjust regulation on your own to suit your load/needs - it's not particularly difficult but it is time consuming. 350m would be a fairly long shot with a 9.3x74R. The longest hunting shot I've taken with mine was about 150m. I use 286gr Oryx, I suppose with a lighter bullet you'd get more reach.

Here is a 100m target I shot during load development with a 1-4 scope. I was aiming right barrel on the right dot and left barrel on the left dot.
8 - 57.5.JPG

Wow, that’s outstanding!

Wow, that’s outstanding!

Keep in mind that each pair of shots was a different load (by half a grain).

I should add that I have regulation and load development experience with just this one DR. I do not know if this is the norm or a lucky barrel set.

Mind you it’s a very slown process this load development and barrel regulation. In order to test it properly you have to let the barrels cool down in between the shots and they heat up very quickly. I spent half a day at the range to do this. Naturally I spent the in between time shooting. The smaller calibre barrels on K-gun are user adjustable - all that is needed is an allen key. For soldered barrels I absolutely understand why regulation is such a costly job. It really takes a lot of time.

@Opposite Pole doing proper load development is always a rewarding. Your double looks very well regulated and once you adjust the scope to hit the orange dot you will be on track to shoot at the distances you mentioned. Just spend some range time and shoot at the longer distances and confirm where you are hitting and then you will know your max effective range with the bullet and rifle combo. Then it is just telling the PH that he has to get you within ??? meters

Looks like you have a great set of barrels on your Kgun. look forward to seeing your hunt reports.

In 2013 I was hunting with a TC encore single shot and took my Kudu at 286 Meters with one shot. But that is about as far as I would ever consider shooting the 9.3x74.

A while back I finished working up loads for my 500/416 with 400 Aframes and 400gr CEB solids I am shooting it with red dot and am very comfortable shooting it at 150M and under. I am really enjoying my Krieghoff.

The scope is now zeroed in and barrels regulated. Initially, I had an issue; the regulation was affected by the scope. With the scope off, the points of impact spread apart. I was afraid it was gonna have to stay scoped permanently. I legally (and sensibly) have to use glass for night hunting. But I've change powders, added about 100fps, and all is well in the world now; it regulates with and without the scope.

My experience with barrels regulation is that it's easy if time-consuming. BUT, I must stress that I have experience with this one particular rifle only. My rifle, due to relatively heavyweight, does not recoil significantly, in 9.3x74R anyway, in 470NE, it recoils somewhat more ;-)

My concern is what sort of accuracy can I expect at 200 to 350 meters?
Honestly, no double rifle is designed to be shot at distances above 100 meters. Doubles are designed for hunting purposes, where you need a quick second shot on a shorter distance.
If you´re aiming to shoot larger distances use a bolt action rifle, this weapons are designed for such distances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!