Krieghoff Big Five vs. Heym 88 or 89 vs. Blaser S2

Which DR would you purchase between Krieghoff Big Five vs. Heym 88 vs. 89 vs. Blaser S2

• Krieghoff Big Five

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Heym 88B

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Heym 89B

Votes: 36 36.0%
  • Blaser S2

Votes: 7 7.0%

• Total voters
IVW, Opposite Pole, and the reasoning behind each opinion?
Thanks!

IVW, Opposite Pole, and the reasoning behind each opinion?
Thanks!

Heym makes a fantastic rifle, and the Heym double I handled (in 9.3x74R) was a true work of art with spectacular timber and engravings with significant amount of gold plating etc. - decent British house would be proud of it. The rifle handled beautifully, and it was hard to fault it in any way. So why did I go for custom order Krieghoff instead? With the options I wanted the price for both Heym and Krieghoff was virtually the same. But:

1 - Like Blaser (and a number of others), Krieghoff can be carried loaded but not cocked. This is safer than traditional safety. Heym is not an unsafe rifle, and it has intercepting sears, but uncocked is safer. Of course, the most important safety is the one in between the shooter’s ears, but I prefer a safer design over a less safe one regardless.

2 - with K-gun, in smaller calibres (up to 9.3x74R, I think), barrel regulation is user adjustable. I have a 470 and 9.3x74R barrel set and have changed the regulation of the smaller barrels for my load. It is quite simple though time consuming. It gives the shooter more flexibility.

3 - Krieghoff can be fitted (mine is) with what they call Intelligent Ejector System. Break the rifle cocked, and the spent shells eject, break it uncocked, and they extract - best of both worlds.

4 - Current production Krieghoffs come with scope bases or red dot mount platforms depending on calibre. If you choose to mount optics on them you can do it without gunsmith work on the gun.

My $0.02 worth

I have been reading about more "affordable" DR lately. What piques my interests are mostly German DRs as I am not too familiar with French or Italian made DRs and I don't want to mortgage my house for a British DRs.

So between Krieghoff Big Five vs. Heym 88 or 89B vs. Blaser S2 which one would you pick? If you have any specific reason(s), I am all ears.

Regards,

yhc
I have been reading about more "affordable" DR lately. What piques my interests are mostly German DRs as I am not too familiar with French or Italian made DRs and I don't want to mortgage my house for a British DRs.

So between Krieghoff Big Five vs. Heym 88 or 89B vs. Blaser S2 which one would you pick? If you have any specific reason(s), I am all ears.

Regards,

yhc
Hi I have a 470NE in Krieghoff and 500 NE in Merkel. Both are great. The Merkel points better for me narrower for end and a bit shorter from palm swell to front trigger. I’m 6’2”. So I’m not short. The Merkel comes standard with express sights and ejectors. It also has better recoil pad. The Krieghoff has decocking for safety which I find better wen I guide as it’s safer to carry loaded. Both shoot great. I need to sell one and don’t know which. Haha.

Ok my 2c.
Krieghoff I know of 3 (2x470 1x500) that have double discharge issues. K does not fit me.

Merkel trigger issues.

Heym do proper regulation so you do not need adjustable regulation.

Cocking de cocking device is not needed rifle safety is between your ears unless you do not trust your own abilities and need to rely on further mechanical things to increase your own gun safety in which case you probably do not need to be using a double.

IES is just another un needed feature that can cause more problems than solve in the bush and adds something else that can go wrong

Any Heym can be ordered with any configuration of mounts you prefer as well as a superb ghost ring rear sight that no other manufacturer offers....

So Heym....and never look back.....simple

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg