Konnichiwa from Japan

Welcome Kento. You will find this site filled with information and guys willing to answer whatever questions you may have. Do you or your family own or have access to firearms and a place to practice?

Thank you, Shootist.

I don't have access to firearms here in Japan, but have a respectable collection back in the states. My dad, brother-in-law and niece can go shooting just about any time they please at a private range near where they live and at which my dad maintains a membership. Maximum yardage is 200. We do not, however, own any of the large-caliber rifles often used in Africa. I am pretty well practiced with rifle calibers up to .30 and my favorite rifle is a Tikka T3 in .270WSM. I spend as much time as possible at the range when I get back home. While in Africa we will be using the PH's rifles.

With that said, do you have any practice regimen that you would suggest? My dad is currently practicing 100-yard shots using shooting sticks. I have never used shooting sticks.

Kento

How often will you be able to get to a range to practice? Do you have access to an air rifle while in Japan? My oldest son and I both practiced shooting off "sticks" with an air rifle using small targets. You need to get as much practice as possible before going to Africa. Prior to my getting ready for Africa I had never used shooting sticks either. In Africa it will be expected that you do so. It is a technique that you must learn. The sticks work best when used as a steadying point for your hand. Any effort to pull the rifle downward into the sticks will result in additional unwanted movement and a larger group size. Since you will be using borrowed rifles one thing you must do is make sure that the PHs have an adequate supply of "quality" hunting ammo available. Quite often they have a mixture of shells given to them by former clients.

Welcome to AH.

I'm a little late to the Welcome list, I went Home (Chicago)for Christmas, so Welcome to AH Kento from Minnesota Minn

Thanks for the welcome messages! I'm glad to have found such a great community.

How often will you be able to get to a range to practice? Do you have access to an air rifle while in Japan?

Unfortunately, I will not have a chance to practice over sticks before going to South Africa. It's simply not an option here. I appreciate your advice and will pass it on the the other hunters in the group, who do have practice opportunities.

Since you will be using borrowed rifles one thing you must do is make sure that the PHs have an adequate supply of "quality" hunting ammo available. Quite often they have a mixture of shells given to them by former clients.

Is it possible to send ammo over ahead of time? I'd be happy to buy whatever the PHs use and have it sent it from the states. I've read on some of the forums that ammo tends to disappear when transported to Africa.

The Republic of South Africa has very strict rules re ammo importation. I would suggest you plan to purchase your ammo in RSA. They have an excellent outfitter (a retail chain) called Safari Outdoors with stores in Johannesburg and Pretoria. The PHs will need their license for the specific gun / caliber to be used. Then purchase enough for sighting in and practice as well as for hunting (at least 40 rounds for each hunter.) Talk this over thoroughly with your outfitter's U.S. Contact.

Unfortunately, I will not have a chance to practice over sticks before going to South Africa. It's simply not an option here. I appreciate your advice and will pass it on the the other hunters in the group, who do have practice opportunities.

There are always options. :)

Do dry fire practice with sticks. You can do it in your living room or in your backyard. Do it everyday. If you want to practice reloads then get some snapcaps and problem solved their too.

There are always options. :)

Yes, this is true. Thank you for the reminder.

I meant that owning/using a gun here isn't (legally) possible for me. I will figure out a way to practice. I appreciate your encouragement.

The Republic of South Africa has very strict rules re ammo importation. I would suggest you plan to purchase your ammo in RSA. They have an excellent outfitter (a retail chain) called Safari Outdoors with stores in Johannesburg and Pretoria. The PHs will need their license for the specific gun / caliber to be used. Then purchase enough for sighting in and practice as well as for hunting (at least 40 rounds for each hunter.) Talk this over thoroughly with your outfitter's U.S. Contact.

Gotcha. I will be sure to make this point with our outfitter.

Welcome to AH!

Well, we are finishing our packing and the kids can't get to sleep. ;)
About 16 hours until our first (of 3) flights to Africa! :D (Nagoya to Hong Kong to Johannesburg to Victoria Falls.)
A few days later, we'll meet my parents and my sister's family for a 10-day hunt / photo safari in Limpopo with Thwane Safaris. This is my wife and kids' first time to visit Africa and my first time to hunt Africa.(y)

I forgot to mention that while I haven't posted much, I have been reading posts almost daily and really appreciate all of the great info and advice everyone has shared here. What a great community!

Have a great time with the fam and good luck!

Have a great trip and I look forward to your hunt report!

Good luck and please get us a report when you return!

Dear Kento
Welcome to this great Forum.
Enjoy the planning process of your return safari to Namibia.
There are many destinations waiting to be discovered...

Have a safe, and successful, trip!

Have a great trip! Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Thank you, everyone, for your encouraging words!

We have returned to Japan and have some amazing memories. Wheat a spectacular trip! I will write a report, but don't look for it too soon. I'll be busy catching up for a bit. I will also be posting up little bits of info I learned in other threads.
One thing I gotta say -- I really developed a huge amount of respect for professional hunters. The guys we were with were incredibly intelligent, skilled and patient people. Three of our hunters got their first-ever kills on the trip and the other three got some spectacular trophies. One of the first-time hunters included my wife, a petite Japanese woman, who bagged the most impressive trophy of our group -- a huge Eland bull.

I'll fill you all in more later.

Kento

We all understand the need to catch up on work related items after a vacation. But don't wait too long to start writing your report. Either the whole thing or one segment / day at a time. Where did your wife learn to shoot? Where did she practice? Is she already helping you plan your next trip?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg