Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
I have not been a mountain sort, ever, except to admire them from afar. For most of my life I have been clumsy and fat - a poor combination for climbing and chasing mountainous critters. Ah yes, give me the rivers & moose and tundra & caribou.

But... I've lost weight (70 pounds over several years). I'd argue I am in the best shape I have been in for maybe the last 20+ years. Don't get me wrong - I am still fat(tish) and clumsy. But I feel... invigorated. Chasing through the brush following my 29 year old PH in May helped with that to be sure.

So... To my question. A friend recently went to Kodiak with his sons for mountain goat. He shared photos. They got dropped off at an alpine lake and had great success. And for the first time in my life I want to chase after a mountain species.

My game plan for me and my hunting buddy is to hunt GMU 480, a registration hunt, for September. I don't have a specific question right now but would love to hear whatever goat pearls of wisdom anyone would care to share. Please and thank you.

Having grown up mountain hunting in Montana, the more you hike, the easier it gets. Start training now and you will have more fun on your hunt. I am an avid marathoner and run 5-6 days a week. It makes a huge difference during hunting season. You don’t need to run a marathon to hunt in the mountains, you just need to start getting in (even better) shape as soon as possible. Having a training plan will help keep you honest. Having multiple goals along the way (timed hikes?) will help to see improvement. Having a training partner will make it easier.

Go get it done Brother!

Been on Kodiak (for Brown Bear). It is steep country. Period. However, if you have the determination and a little bit of ability, you can get up to mountain goat country. I fought alders and hiked 6 hours to get into position on my bear. I am in reasonable shape, but no one ever said they were in too good of shape for a mountain hunt. If and when I go back I will be in better shape than last time. I am sure you can do it if you want to bad enough. Being dropped off at a high country lake is much better than a beach drop-off. Good luck and tell us how it went!!

Yes, we should do it. Since you and I are basically step-brothers(AH Brothers counts), we are within the “second degree of kindred”. Which allows me to hunt as well. I’m a decent hiker, take good iPhone pictures and cook a mean Mountain House!

Sadly, I cannot tap into any “Ahh, Young Grasshopper …” wisdom for preparation or spiritual guidance for success but what a Dream Hunt! The mere thought of Hunting: Mtn Goat (stunning) + eye candy of Kodiak Island (stunning x1) + remote access by floatplane = Nailed It!!

Low Hanging Fruit:
* Weather: You live/work in AK so preparing for all conditions: check!
* Budget: You’re AK Resident & DIY is affordable: check!
* Area: GMU 480/floatplane = remote & ^ odds Big Billy: check!
* Flat Shooting Fire Stix … a must.

Congratulations on a new health & hunting path - keep us updated on the journey!

Go for the yellow ones, those are the old billies.

I was after a goat one day. It was getting late and I leaned back against the hill for a rest. There, nestled between the toes of my boots was my boat, a mere 2,000 feet below me. They like the steep stuff!

Be cautious of the bears. My buddy hunts Kodiak a bunch. If the berry crop fails they will come to your gunshot like a dinner bell.

I've got a fair amount of friends and coworkers who've hunted goats. Lots of smiles and groans in that group. Look into the stats and reports for that hunt from different sources. Some of the Kodiak hunts have an overharvest of billies sometimes and you end up looking at a whole lot of nannies and no billies. Don't go light on the gun, billies have a nasty habit of jumping off cliffs after being shot and bears exist. Be prepared to hike a lot and sit a lot. I throw a couple gallons of water into my backpack in the summer for hikes to build up my back, shoulders and knees. The uphills climbs are no joy, but the downhill is what gets your to your knees. Hiking poles really help there to spread the weight out and give you better stability. get them, use them. If you have a good billy in sight make extra sure you can get to it. I have heard of a few lucky shots involving a billy in some low pasture, game over, life is good. But I've also heard plenty of stories of passed shots involving a goat in some gawdawful inaccesible spot, all of 200 yards away.

Good luck!

8820C30C-D6A4-4B31-8EF1-DBD2FA056C02.jpeg

Mountain goat hunting on Kodiak is fun and exciting. Be prepared and budget a few days for some tent time as the weather is often foggy and raining at altitude. More of a mental game. I can’t wait to return for brown bear in a couple of years, TheGrayRider.

6FCFC267-366A-4244-A6F4-AC9DE12879B4.jpeg
1F3D7C3A-FEF5-473D-989D-22D6CA488F27.jpeg

@Ryan ... According to the ADFG website, the success rates for 480 for the past five years has been between 40 and 45%. Certainly not a gimme, but enough to elicit hope. I also found a page that said 75%+ of first timers wind up with a nanny, and the average shot distance is about 190. As a first timer, I am not particular (Did I mention I'm fattish and clumsy? :ROFLMAO:) . The experience will count for everything (something totally new!) and if I do get to harvest one... I don't care whether it's a billy or nanny. I'll wind up doing as much research as I can. I will work to be in even better shape. I started out 275 a number of years ago. I am at 205. My end goal is 190. I plan to be there by September. I am embarrassed at how much time I've spent researching and thinking about goat hunting this past week. And folks like @TheGrayRider sure aren't helping any, with photos like that.

I believe that the reason for most of the nanny's getting shot by first timers is that it is not only their first time but possibly their only time to go after them.

But to get your juices flowing flowing a little bit more here is a picture of a young one that I took while hiking around Colorado at 13,000' a few years ago.

6qySOAX.jpg
ykHW7BD.jpg

I have not been a mountain sort, ever, except to admire them from afar. For most of my life I have been clumsy and fat - a poor combination for climbing and chasing mountainous critters. Ah yes, give me the rivers & moose and tundra & caribou.

But... I've lost weight (70 pounds over several years). I'd argue I am in the best shape I have been in for maybe the last 20+ years. Don't get me wrong - I am still fat(tish) and clumsy. But I feel... invigorated. Chasing through the brush following my 29 year old PH in May helped with that to be sure.

So... To my question. A friend recently went to Kodiak with his sons for mountain goat. He shared photos. They got dropped off at an alpine lake and had great success. And for the first time in my life I want to chase after a mountain species.

My game plan for me and my hunting buddy is to hunt GMU 480, a registration hunt, for September. I don't have a specific question right now but would love to hear whatever goat pearls of wisdom anyone would care to share. Please and thank you.
That would be a great hunt and one Id like to do someday.

The uphills climbs are no joy, but the downhill is what gets your to your knees. Hiking poles really help there to spread the weight out and give you better stability. get them, use them. If you have a good billy in sight make extra sure you can get to it. I have heard of a few lucky shots involving a billy in some low pasture, game over, life is good. But I've also heard plenty of stories of passed shots involving a goat in some gawdawful inaccesible spot, all of 200 yards away.
@Tundra Tiger,

everything ryan said in his post was very good advice. i would suggest a 7mm and up cartridge (06, 300, etc) get in better shape is good advice, it is still gonna suck, but, how to make it suck less. i have not guided mt. goats, but have shot or been in on 6 or 8 of em. pm me and i will get you some more info.

I wish you well on your hunt & will check in to see how you go, I really really should have tried harder & been more informed myself many years ago when I had the chance up there on the main land, I ended up shooting a Nanny & it didn't worry me then as I wasn't really impressed by them, stupid in hind sight as they are amazing animals, would love a big thick horned Billy now.

Young & dumb is all I can say !!

View attachment My Goat 9in Nanny .jpg

Last edited:
missed my dream goat hunt in Sitka this year due to cancer and surgeries!
May never get the opportunity again so I would say train hard, you can will yourself
to do most things! Do it, enjoy the experience! Good luck buddy I will be rooting for you!

I am at 205. My end goal is 190
Congrats on the weight loss and the new goal! Hunting can do that for you..
I believe if you get off the plane at 205 you will be 190 when they pick you up...LOL
I am sure you have the desire to get up the mountain. That's most of the issue. I have seen people with far better bodies than me stay in camp because they just don't want to push themselves. Everyone should know what their bodies can take and what they can't. For me it is altitude, if I can't breathe I'm not going. Have a great hunt!! (I'm going to B.C. on mountain goat this fall - been put off 2 years already)

It’s all about the Ride & Adventure … some years back, I took up a rare opportunity during a home visit to plan/hunt Montana Unlimited Bighorn Sheep Unit.

We learned allot about this high Mtn hunt adventure & although unsuccessful w/ Trophy … it was a great success in planning, camaraderie, adventure & life … there’s nothing like a view from the top!

Agreed @Jaegger . I am blessed to have the world's greatest hunting buddy. We have fun irrespective of the outcome, and we have our fair share of success.

I've hunted 480 for goat 3 times - killed 2 and helped partners kill 2.

Be prepared for horrible weather - I've spent 2 weeks on the island and never wore raingear. I've also woke up to 6 inches of water around the tent. Last time we were only able to hunt 2 days out of the 7 day hunt, but we shot a goat each day. Group on next lake over got a Coast Guard helicopter ride.

Success tends to be better the further west you go - not because there are more goats, but because the bad weather comes out of the east. Further west will potentially get you more hunting days.

Take a flat shooting rifle that starts with 30. Have your deer tags in case opportunity presents itself at a convenient time. Electric bear fence for base camp is not a bad idea.

Recommend Seahawk Air - Rolan can show you a number of spots to drop you. I would advise flying into a lake above alder line rather than going up from the saltwater.

Nannys are better to eat. The limit is 2.

8yo Nanny.jpg
Billy.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you