Knives For Sale

Thank you! I’ve always had to sharpen my lesser quality knives while skinning. At least on an elk. After reading everything here on AH, now I’m wondering what it would be like field dressing a Cape Buffalo? Probably as much FUN as being charged by one! Ha! Ha! Ha! I’ve done ONE elk by myself. A real BITCH! Fun never stops!
I’ve only had one elk fall where it was convenient to deal with. They are predisposed to fall on a side hill that is so steep you can hardly stand or in the thick where you can hardly move! I can’t answer on the Cape buffalo, although my JT Ranger was with me, the fine crew I was hunting with took care of the buff in short order. But that JT Ranger worked great opening my daily can of snuff and coring a few apples that charged me.
D72C9137-6E57-4745-A48F-513341E1E3DC.jpeg

I’ve only had one elk fall where it was convenient to deal with. They are predisposed to fall on a side hill that is so steep you can hardly stand or in the thick where you can hardly move! I can’t answer on the Cape buffalo, although my JT Ranger was with me, the fine crew I was hunting with took care of the buff in short order. But that JT Ranger worked great opening my daily can of snuff and coring a few apples that charged me.
View attachment 310551
Yes, the snuff and apples do require a sharp, balanced knife! So do bottles of beer when the opener can’t be found! Speaking of chew, can that be found in Africa commercially or does one have to cut their own from the local tobacco fields? Never been there, so just asking? Ammo, chew, beer, etc., all things important!

Last edited:
Yes, the snuff and apples do require a sharp, balanced knife! So do bottles of beer when the opener can’t be found!
I have found that all of Garry’s knives work well for the bottle breaching task as well!

Another two for sale
An Old Western with Eucalyptus handles over curve backed buff horn bolsters on the 4 1/2 in 1095 HC blade. Was one of a pair when made. USS$2o0 plus shipping
IMG_20191020_160005.jpg
IMG_20191020_160232.jpg

And one for fun i this Farriers rasp bowie with 7 1/4 in blade and 12 3/4 inches over all with the black paper micarta curve backed bolsters under the flared butt eucalyptus handles.
Normally priced at US$295 and for sale at US$250 plus shipping
IMG_20191020_160337.jpg
IMG_20191020_160412.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Damascus knives from von Gruff have not been used. But!! I have ordered a skinning knife as of yesterday. I rang von Gruff to discuss the wood to match my other knives. I’ll certainly be using using the skinner in a few weeks in the NT.
I might add that that order is for my third knife. I simply just live the feel of the knives from VG.
The finish is simply magnificent.

Just love the feel of the VG knives. Maybe I should put them under my pillow!

Above is standard equipment for elk hunts, for which I will be leaving bright & early Thursday morning.

Just love the feel of the VG knives. Maybe I should put them under my pillow!
I really enjoy taing the raw jandle blanks through the process with "FEEL" being the main component of the finishing shape. A comfortable knife handle makes for a safer knife in use but not sure of the under pillow storage :)

The Old Western is sold

I won’t ask what you used that knife on at 2:13AM? Some sort of night hunt? Ha! Ha! Ha!
The 2:13 was probably the time that I posted the photograph to the internet after I arrived home. The photo was taken in early afternoon a few days earlier but I don't recall the specifics.

The 2:13 was probably the time that I posted the photograph to the internet after I arrived home. The photo was taken in early afternoon a few days earlier but I don't recall the specifics.
I’m always happy to see blood on a knife from a successful hunt! And in this instance, a Von Gruff knife! Congrats on your hunt and the use of that knife! They look like great knives!

I have 3 knives for sale. Two were extras I made when doing batch work and the third one the customer had financial reasons for withdrawing from the buy.
The Hunter Skinner with stabilised curly Macrocarpa over curve backed buff horn bolsters on the raindrop stainless damascus blade in tooled sheath
Was US$340 - sale US$300 plus shipping
View attachment 310320 View attachment 310321
The Pocket Ranger has Cherry wood over buff horn on the 1095 HC blade in cross draw sheath.
Was US$240 - sale price US$200 plus shipping
View attachment 310318

An Acacia handled Skinner on the 1084 HC blade
Normally priced at US$170 - sale price US$150 plus shipping
View attachment 310319
Hi Von Gruff,

I will not be ordering one of your skinners, why already have one! My wife will be taking her Zimbabwe Professional Hunters Proficiency exam starting a week from today. Two weeks and I do not think she will have to worry about losing her knife in the snow! Since she will have to skin one elephant and one buffalo, she will actually be using more than one knife one of them will be the "lion knife" that you made for me which has migrated to her personal gear cabinet? Another will be a similar knife made by one of our local knife makers and clsoe friend (who is in India at the moment going through cancer treatment). It will really be a great test of knives. Since she is not worth a damn at sharpening a knife, will at least she pretends not to know?

One thing that I know from experience is when you have a large, thick skinned animal like a elephant. The slightest irregularity in a handle will turn into a blister from hell. A smooth handle no finger grooves,etc.

Cheers, Lon

Hi Von Gruff,
One thing that I know from experience is when you have a large, thick skinned animal like a elephant. The slightest irregularity in a handle will turn into a blister from hell. A smooth handle no finger grooves,etc.
Cheers, Lon

Pleased to hear the Lion knife will get some work although it is not a design I would have thought suitable for skinning with its long tapering point. Having said that, I have never skinned an elephant so dont know what works best for that. I will be most interested to hear how the skinning goes and of course wish your wife all the very best with her PH test (go the 404 Jeffery)
I am very much in agreement on hotspots on a knife handle being a matter of poor design and it was poor design in both handle and blade that got me interested (obsessed) with knife design in the late 60's and it has continued through today and beyond.
With this type of skinning (on an Ele) do you drive the point in and cut from under the skin to 'open up' a skinning path or do you slice from the outside and then start the flaying process.
I would be most interested to hear from you as to what you consider the most suitable design for an Ele knife and while you say there will be more than one knife used it seems they are both the same long tapering point design. Are these being used because they are best for the task or because they are available. May have to do something special as a congratulatory gift for your wife for passing the test so your input on a design most suitable for her will be needed.

Hi Von Gruff,

I will not be ordering one of your skinners, why already have one! My wife will be taking her Zimbabwe Professional Hunters Proficiency exam starting a week from today. Two weeks and I do not think she will have to worry about losing her knife in the snow! Since she will have to skin one elephant and one buffalo, she will actually be using more than one knife one of them will be the "lion knife" that you made for me which has migrated to her personal gear cabinet? Another will be a similar knife made by one of our local knife makers and clsoe friend (who is in India at the moment going through cancer treatment). It will really be a great test of knives. Since she is not worth a damn at sharpening a knife, will at least she pretends not to know?

Cheers, Lon
I cannot imagine the effort and time it would take to field dress/skin an elephant, just due to the weight and mass involved? Same to a lesser extent with a buffalo? I don’t own enough skinning knives to do either, without having to constantly sharpen them? Maybe Von Gruff’s fine knives would be the answer? You would know! Congrats on your wife taking a PH exam. I don’t know what that entails, but I’m sure it’s difficult. As far as no snow there (yet), it could happen? Remember the Ice Age? Ha! Ha! Ha!

Back in the day one of my activities to earn a living was on the killfloor of a beef slaughterhouse. a journeyman was expected to process 1 1/4 head of cattle per hour. There were five at one of the facilities which worked out to 50 head per 8 hour shift. The big bulls were the hardest to meet that schedule with, and that was with all the machinery to hoist, skinning cradles and tracks. I shudder at the thought of trying to process a Cape Buffalo or Elephant out in the field. Does she get a team of helpers to roll the bull onto its back and side to side? Does she get to remove parts as the skin is removed> What about the guts? It will be quite the test of her skill and her knives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross