Knee Pad Recommendations

gunworks

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Mission Rod & Gun Club, SCI
Hunted
South Africa
I recently hunted Botswana with Ricus Nel Safaris. We did some leopard crawling after Blue Wildebeest, my 58 year old knees were not impressed. Looking for any recommendations for knee pads to take on Safari next year. Thanks

Too bad you don't know Kamala Harris. She's sure to know the most comfortable and longest lasting.

I recently hunted Botswana with Ricus Nel Safaris. We did some leopard crawling after Blue Wildebeest, my 58 year old knees were not impressed. Looking for any recommendations for knee pads to take on Safari next year. Thanks

I'd recommend pants with slots for internal knee pads. They are much better to manage and more comfortable. Also, the knee pad inserts take less room.

^^^^ I'll second the XPRT tactical pants from 5.11. Very durable material and great pocket space allocation.

I've worn upland bird-type brush pants to minimize effects while crawling in Africa (also shorts, which resulted in some painful, thorny crawls that are only salved by the end result in the bag!!!) How about hockey helmets, clip on fans and solar bug zappers for the flying insects? Friend insisted i take his "thermocell" to Africa many moons ago. It didn't work. LOL Hunting widget$.

^^^^ I'll second the XPRT tactical pants from 5.11. Very durable material and great pocket space allocation.
have 'em too-use for work and on safari. considered collectible now as I got 'em at the former Gander Mtn.

Thanks! Just ordered two pair…hated the outside knee pads. Looking forward to trying the internal pads

Too bad you don't know Kamala Harris. She's sure to know the most comfortable and longest lasting.
Yep. She & several past NY/NJ Governors! L O L "Gunsthhh are bad!" <said like Mike Tyson>

I do a LOT of crawling when I spot & stalk wit my bow... I have tried padded hunting pants as well as a few different style of knee pads. The only style that performs well are the tactical style worn by the military and police. They have hard caps and articulating fastening bands above and below the knee so they hold in place, and they really do a good job taking the impact off of your knee caps. Best of all, they are very comfortable.

You can get a used pair on EBay for about $10. A new pair will run you about $25... Well worth the money in my experience. Good hunting!

knee pads.jpg

You may want to consider a conversation with your PH before you go packing (what I would consider) unnecessary or at least rarely used.

People who use knee pads do so because they spend a LOT of time on their knees. Laying carpet, construction work and gardening come to mind. There is some hunting that does a good bit of knee crawling, but not too much in Africa.

Explaining to your PH what you can, can not, or prefer not to do could make your hunting experience more enjoyable. And prevent you from spending any more money on stuff you won’t use much.

How do these pants do if you have to wade a river, do the knee pad pockets drain well? Too lazy to read the small print, do the knee pads come with the pants?

I've been using these from Duluth in the knee pocket of TruSpec pants. Work great, but won't stop a cactus spine if it's more than 1/2" long; no hard shell. Light enough I don't notice even after hiking for miles in heat looking for antelope in Colorado and deer in Kansas in 90* heat last year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 7.18.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 7.18.05 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
How do these pants do if you have to wade a river, do the knee pad pockets drain well? Too lazy to read the small print, do the knee pads come with the pants?

The knee pads come with the pants. There are drain holes at the base of the knee pad pocket. I've not walked in water with them though. You can remove the pads from the bottom as there are velcro tabs. the are vent holes on the top side of each pad.

Hope this helps.

You may want to consider a conversation with your PH before you go packing (what I would consider) unnecessary or at least rarely used.

People who use knee pads do so because they spend a LOT of time on their knees. Laying carpet, construction work and gardening come to mind. There is some hunting that does a good bit of knee crawling, but not too much in Africa.

Explaining to your PH what you can, can not, or prefer not to do could make your hunting experience more enjoyable. And prevent you from spending any more money on stuff you won’t use much.
Terrain makes a big difference. Crawling in the rock-free Caprivi silt- no problem. Crawling on volcanic rock in Patagonia- problem! Asking your PH is solid advice.

Terrain makes a big difference. Crawling in the rock-free Caprivi silt- no problem. Crawling on volcanic rock in Patagonia- problem! Asking your PH is solid advice.
IMO - It's about what you are willing to do for a hunt. For me...I'm not doing a crawl (or packing knee pads) and I will be OK with the fact that I may not get that particular animal that day. There are some things I'm just too old for anymore and I'm not loosing sleep over it.

That said, everyone is different and you should get the hunt you want. If it's possible that it could involve some amount of crawling over tough terrain...knee pads are a good idea.

Guys thank you very much for the feedback. I bought a pair of 5.11 ABR Pro Pant with neoprene inserts. Absolutely love them. I have worn them on active hot summer days and they are very comfortable. I wore them while shooting in the bush. Leopard crawling. Taking shots while kneeling. Getting up and down to prone position. You don't even notice the pads in daily use, but man are they great on the knees when crawling, kneeling, and anytime I put my knees on the ground. Thanks again guys!

Arc’teryx. Work really well, stay in place, and made in Canada not China.

And I thought they were for getting the wife's permission to go on safari

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross