Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, DSC, BASC, BDS
Hunted
USA: AL, CO, GA, FL, MT, SC, SD, TX, WI, WY, Limpopo SA, North West SA, Eastern Cape, England, Saskatchewan
Finally received my Caprivi stock back from Edwards Recoil Reducer (thanks Kevin) and got the scope mounted and bore-sighted. Kevin at Edwards Recoil Reducer has a day job as a public health official, so you can guess how his 2020 has gone so far. Really nice guy.

I also had the bolt jeweled by the folks at the Custom Jewel Shop.

Rifle weighs in at 10lbs 8oz unloaded with scope and mounts installed. Exactly the same as my CZ 375 with the aramid stock. But the Caprivi has a 24" barrel, while my CZ 375 has the 25" barrel. The CZ feels a lot longer.

So my boresight for the Caprivi was the old school method (look down the barrel at a point 30 feet away) since my optical boresight kit doesn't have a 416 arbor. It was a bit off. So I chased zero around a bit but the last three shots were more than acceptable - right at 1" at 100 yards. Factory Winchester Safari 400 Partition ammo. I didn't chrony actual speed.

Recoil is stout but not unpleasant. Felt recoil was pretty similar to my CZ 375. Shot it off a bench 7x in a tee shirt - that was enough for the first outing. Fed and operated flawlessly. Action is very smooth. I plan to chase buff with this rifle next year. Very pleased thus far - now to get off the bench and start using those sticks!
Kimber Caprivi 416 RM.jpg
Kimber Caprivi 416 RM Weight.jpg
Caprivi Range Session.jpg
Caprivi First Range Session 8.2020.jpg

nice rifle, I love my 416 RM!

if you pick up hand loading for it then i highly recommend 81.5gr of H4895 under a 300gr Barnes TSX (adjust as needed). I use Hornady brass and Federal LRM primers. This load is suitable for game ranging from impala to cape buffalo!

-matt

Finally received my Caprivi stock back from Edwards Recoil Reducer (thanks Kevin) and got the scope mounted and bore-sighted. Kevin at Edwards Recoil Reducer has a day job as a public health official, so you can guess how his 2020 has gone so far. Really nice guy.

Rifle weighs in at 10lbs 8oz unloaded with scope and mounts installed. Exactly the same as my CZ 375 with the aramid stock. But the Caprivi has a 24" barrel, while my CZ 375 has the 25" barrel. The CZ feels a lot longer.

So my boresight for the Caprivi was the old school method (look down the barrel at a point 30 feet away) since my optical boresight kit doesn't have a 416 arbor. It was a bit off. So I chased zero around a bit but the last three shots were more than acceptable - right at 1" at 100 yards. Factory Winchester Safari 400 Partition ammo. I didn't chrony actual speed.

Recoil is stout but not unpleasant. Felt recoil was pretty similar to my CZ 375. Shot it off a bench 7x in a tee shirt - that was enough for the first outing. Fed and operated flawlessly. Action is very smooth. I plan to chase buff with this rifle next year. Very pleased thus far - now to get off the bench and start using those sticks!View attachment 362198View attachment 362199View attachment 362200View attachment 362202

An excellent choice I must say.
I’m to test Woodleigh 450 gran protected points on big game when things get back to normal.
I have my Woodleigh hydros sighted in to be right on the bullseye at 100 yards. That’s the normal range I expect to shoot buff/scrub bulls at.
Congratulations on a very fine rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recoil is stout but not unpleasant. Felt recoil was pretty similar to my CZ 375. Shot it off a bench 7x in a tee shirt - that was enough for the first outing. Fed and operated flawlessly. Action is very smooth. I plan to chase buff with this rifle next year. Very pleased thus far - now to get off the bench and start using those sticks!View attachment 362198View attachment 362199View attachment 362200View attachment 362202
Looks like progress! The recoil reducers are a must! Edwards is the best. Now if I can just get Kevin to engineer one for the R8!

Nice indeed! What weight recoil reducer did you add?
Kevin at Edward's suggested two of the 4" models. I think they are about 6 oz each. Apparently they get better as you use them.

My kit didn't have an arbor for a .416 or .404 so I picked one of each from these guys. I wish I had discovered these years ago.
DSC02690 (1).jpg

I love the lines of the Caprivi, the high comb according to Ron Spomer promotes straight back recoil, almost zero muzzle flip in his video. I am not a big bolt fan, but if I were the Kimber Caprivi would probably be the one.

Beautiful rifle and glad to see you getting it dialed in.

Have you given any thought of mounting the scope in QD rings?
If you are going to use it for Buffalo, having backup iron sights would be good.

Beautiful rifle.

Have you given any thought of mounting the scope in QD rings?
If you are going to use it for Buffalo, having backup iron sights would be good.

I have the QD levers for the Talleys on the rifle. But as I get older, my eyes aren't good enough to shoot iron sights. With contacts my distance vision is 20/15, but I can't see didly up close without my readers. I've heard that it all starts to fall apart when you turn 50 and so far that's been sadly accurate.

I have the QD levers for the Talleys on the rifle. But as I get older, my eyes aren't good enough to shoot iron sights. With contacts my distance vision is 20/15, but I can't see didly up close without my readers. I've heard that it all starts to fall apart when you turn 50 and so far that's been sadly accurate.
My eyes are about the same age as yours.
Good distance vision, but have had readers for several years.
I really enjoy shotgunning to help improve my skills with irons.

Getting old...it ain't for the weak.
Stay strong.

My kit didn't have an arbor for a .416 or .404 so I picked one of each from these guys. I wish I had discovered these years ago.

Yeah, you and me both! This would have saved me at least a couple sighting in shots. I've tried so many bore sighters over the years and this cheap BSA optical kit still seems to work the best. When you have the arbor that fits, that is.

Rifle update. I've shot this rifle quite a bit leading up to my first buff hunt - with any luck I'm wheels up in less than 10 days. Qatar through Doha to JNB. I'm well into my daily dry fire exercises off the sticks I try to do each day starting 30 days out.

Snuck out to the range yesterday afternoon for one last session with the Caprivi and the Sauer 6.5x55 I'm taking for small stuff.

This Kimber is fun to shoot and operates flawlessly. Most of my shooting has been off the sticks with quick follow-up shots. I've also done some full mags (3+1) as quickly as possible off the sticks. Not a hiccup. It loves factory Winchester Safari 400 grain Partitions, and so does my PH so that's what I'll be shooting. I think I have 87 rounds through her at this point.

Last week I decided to load up a few rounds with some 400 grain TBBCs I forgot I had. Shot those yesterday from the bench. Let's just say that in my rifle, a max load of 79.0 grains of RL15 is a little stout with 400 grain TBBCs (Rem 9.5M primers). No pressure signs and everything fed and extracted perfectly, but 2475 fps seems a little fast and the group was about 2" at 100. Extreme spread (granted only 3 rounds) was terrific at 15 fps. 79 grains is definitely compressed - required a couple lever pulls to get the bullets seated to book COAL. Crimped in a separate operation.

So my next try will be a little lighter on the RL15. The factory Winchester Partitions are about 100 fps slower for comparison and will shoot into an inch from the bench (3 shots). Why am I shooting a new load less than 2 weeks from wheels up? Because I'm an idiot, that's why. And I can't leave well enough alone.

20210413_161102.jpg

This target is my two, 2 shot groups off the sticks at 100 yards yesterday. So, first shot is the money shot and the second is as quickly as I can get the shot off as a follow-up - that's the idea. Both first shots are pretty good. The flier (that one 3.5" left and 1.5" high) was a little disconcerting but my second follow up shot on the second group was much better (1.5" low and less than 1" left). Pretty happy with the second group and more consistent with my previous practice sessions. I did move the zero one click right and verified from the bench before I left. Now for a light clean and a few more dry fire sessions off the sticks and I'm on my way!

I really admire the Kimber Caprivi . I have tried a variant in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum . It did have a few feeding issues though . Especially when used with 300 grain Federal Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solid factory loads . I am pleased to read that your .416 Remington Magnum is feeding flawlessly .

Definately a nice toy, looks plenty accurate enough to (hopefully) stop a determined rabbit charge too...

A rifle that does not feed 375 H&H has an issue...

Only 87 rounds? Surely you know how to have fun better than that...those are rookie numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg