Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
Took the kids to the ranch today to get the kids some trigger time before we leave in 2 months for Africa. My daughter, who hasnt shot since last deer season, out shot my son who shoots competitively and shoots every week. He wasn't really happy about it. I of course had to laugh. They both did really well though. I got a feeling there's going to be some cute furry animals in real trouble when we get there.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Awesome!!!!

And as an armchair QB have your son make the sticks taller and stand up straighter. He's all hunched over, which should make staying steady a lot harder.

If you really want to get his goat just show him the pictures and tell him to stand up straight, like his sister did. ;)

Last edited:
Darn girls have a way of doing that to the boys!

Looks like you don't have much of a drive to the rifle range!

Oh and since I'm giving advice have them both give this a try. Pull the left hand side of the bipod down and then use their hand to "clamp" it to the stick. The gun will move that much less. Learned that at SAAM shooting school. I'm not smart enough to figure that out on my own. :)

Awesome!!!!

And as an armchair QB have your son make the sticks taller and stand up straighter. He's all hunched over, which should make staying steady a lot harder.

If you really want to get his goat just show him the pictures and tell him to stand up straight, like his sister did. ;)
lol he was getting irritated because I was ragging on him about his sister showing him up. Great advise I will do that.

Last edited:
Looks like you don't have much of a drive to the rifle range!
I love being down there for that reason. We shot for about an hour then traded the guns for fishing poles and went and caught some bass and catfish. After that we drove around and counted deer, turkey, and hogs. We went and checked on my exotics on another part of the ranch and checked on the new members of the family, My cows are starting to have calves so it's an exciting time of year.
image.jpg

gizmo,

The kids must be very excited for the trip! I'm glad I still have almost 5 months left to practice off the sticks and no sister close by to compete against.

Cheers,
Mike

gizmo,

The kids must be very excited for the trip! I'm glad I still have almost 5 months left to practice off the sticks and no sister close by to compete against.

Cheers,
Mike
Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great!

I think you're a better man than I, Gizmo. I seem to lack the patience to teach my kids just about anything. My youngest, who is joining me on a hunt to RSA and Namibia next month is leaving this week for the SAAM course in Texas. I have no doubt they'll do a better job than I would!

I think you're a better man than I, Gizmo. I seem to lack the patience to teach my kids just about anything. My youngest, who is joining me on a hunt to RSA and Namibia next month is leaving this week for the SAAM course in Texas. I have no doubt they'll do a better job than I would!

He is going to LOVE the course!!!! It is outstanding! !!!

Is he taking the safari or precision course? I took the safari course and would like to go back for the precision course at some point.

Precision. He needs to start there, I think, and if he decides to keep at it after this hunt, then we'll consider more.

Only worry is that he'll outshoot me as a result! I sort of taught myself, and I know I have some bad habits . . . but I think of Tiger Woods every time I think I should change the way I do things!

I had more bad habits than I wanted to admit....

Including hunching over on sticks, like I was pointing out above! LOL

I would recommend that course to anyone, regardless of experience level.

Great to see the kids getting into the swing of things. Going to be a pleasure for you and any PH to see the excitement in their eyes when they get to hunt.

I have to admit as much training/shooting as I do as result of work and as much hunting/guiding I do I have little experience shooting off of sticks. So I appreciate the advice. I have thought of going to the SAAM school and do both courses. I feel a guy can never have enough training plus I think it would be fun to boot! It was a proud day last year when my son beat me in a fundraiser 3 p match. Both my kids have been shooting since they were about 5. We used to shoot together a lot but since I promoted last year and was transfered to evening shift and my guide business has started to take off too we don't get to shoot together as much :(.

Hank it's all about patience with kids. That being said from my understanding the SAAM school is some of the best civilian training available.

feel a guy can never have enough training plus I think it would be fun to boot!

So to this point, over half of the business that SAAM does is not open to the public and includes law enforcement and groups like USMC sniper teams. Larry, one of the instructors and a SEAL, was telling me about some new toys they put in while I was talking to him at DSC. One was a moving target that he could make go back and forth as well as speed up and slow down with a joystick. The real trick though was that it was 800 yards out!!!

If I were you Gizmo I would do the safari course first. The training for DG is outstanding!!! And, you do some regular shooting out to 600 yards as well. I suggest this based on your experience and what I know you want to hunt. I think Hank has made the right choice for his son too.

The big question, are the kids going to outshoot dad?:)

So to this point, over half of the business that SAAM does is not open to the public and includes law enforcement and groups like USMC sniper teams. Larry, one of the instructors and a SEAL, was telling me about some new toys they put in while I was talking to him at DSC. One was a moving target that he could make go back and forth as well as speed up and slow down with a joystick. The real trick though was that it was 800 yards out!!!

If I were you Gizmo I would do the safari course first. The training for DG is outstanding!!! And, you do some regular shooting out to 600 yards as well. I suggest this based on your experience and what I know you want to hunt. I think Hank has made the right choice for his son too.
I'm definitely going to check into it. I don't have time to do it before I leave but still want to go.

Hank it's all about patience with kids. That being said from my understanding the SAAM school is some of the best civilian training available.

It's all about patience...............and repetition! The more time spent shooting, the more memories that are made.(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you