Kids and big game hunting africa

How old is old enough to bag an elephant?

• Never, it's immoral

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 years and over

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Evidently print leaves something to be desired for communicating effectively.

…., why on earth do you think I asked the question as to what age is suitable for a child to hunt.

No idea. It was actually quite confounding to me.
You asked the parenting question and I followed the indirect path in your query and provided a response.

You did not ask about a child "hunting". You asked about ELEPHANT and Dangerous Game hunting.

My son James is 11 years old for gods sake of course he's going to come out with what (very) serious adults think to be conceited or hung-ho type remarks.
YOUR remark is all we were provided to work with.
If it were a child's "gung-ho" remark I would just pass it off as such. However, YOU asked a SERIOUS question on a hunting forum about an 11 year old benign adamant to hunt an Elephant.

Perhaps YOUR description of the child's attitude was misleading with the words you used.
I cannot believe that you sat behind your computer to barate me in such a pompous and condescending way.

Sadly the quote from the author I used does appear to be written in a pompous manner, I have to agree. My bad.

You are totally out of order and should be banned from voicing your opinions to others.

I considered banning myself for a minute, but I reconsidered. :)
I'll reply to your "report" of my post in due course.

A copy of the original post:
"Here are some helpful tips to coach your child to become less demanding and more polite when making requests.

• Sit down with your child and discuss the difference between demanding behavior and polite, respectful requests. It’s appropriate for a parent to let that child know that he or she is being demanding and need to rephrase or change their voice tone when asking for something.

• Let your child know that they are going to get some of their requests met with the answer “yes” and some met with the answer “no.” It’s okay to say “no.”

• It’s important for parents to model appropriate requests when interacting with others. Parents who demonstrate demanding behaviors in front of their children only promote and reinforce this behavior. Talk to your children in a manner that you want them to speak to you.

• Teach your child the manners of “please” and “thank you.”

• Be calm and do not appear to be surprised when your child becomes demanding. Then say, “Is there another way that you can say that?” Sometimes children do not know that they are being demanding.

• Do not give in to your child’s demands.

• Ignore your child’s demanding behaviors. Respond to your child’s polite requests. Over time, responding only to polite behavior will reinforce the behavior expected.

• Communicate with the other parent or adults in your family when your child’s behavior takes on demanding tendencies. This will prevent the child from going to others with their inappropriate demands.

• Make sure that your child gets your attention when he or she is acting appropriately. Demanding children often display this behavior to get the parent’s attention.

• Before bringing your child to the store or mall, review with the child your expectations of this trip and what you expect of them. It’s okay to let the child know “that we do not have the money to buy you a game on this trip to the store.”

• Let your child know that it’s not appropriate to make demands of you in front of their friends or in public. Make a rule in your house that says, “When you make demands of mom or dad in front of your friends, the answer to the demand will always be ‘no’.” "
Read more: http://www.empoweringparents.com/bl...hild-12-tips-to-use-right-away/#ixzz39FOZaC5i

That escalated quickly

That escalated quickly

How did your 11 year old ask to hunt his Elephant?

(I see you deftly redirected his request with a polite "not yet")

How did your 11 year old ask to hunt his Elephant?

(I see you deftly redirected his request with a polite "not yet")
Well you don't want to crush their spirit and enthusiasm do you? We had been conversing about our safari and he was a bit nervous. I told him that I wouldn't make him hunt dangerous game first time out and he wasn't required to shoot anything he didn't want to. He said good, he was afraid leopards are to quick for him (got a chuckle out of that). We talked about antelope, zebra and pigs. Then he asked what kind of elephants you can hunt (another chuckle). After some clarification form me he said he would like to hunt an elephant. You have to smile a bit sometimes

Great.
You do not ever want to crush the enthusiasm of any young hunter. They are the future.
I'm glad he knows those Leopards are a little quick. I found they are pretty smart too.

Keep educating this new member of the hunting fraternity.
I'm looking forward to his first hunt report and the pictures to go with it.
I wish you both luck.

Great.
You do not ever want to crush the enthusiasm of any young hunter. They are the future.
I'm glad he knows those Leopards are a little quick. I found they are pretty smart too.

Keep educating this new member of the hunting fraternity.
I'm looking forward to his first hunt report and the pictures to go with it.
I wish you both luck.
I found it amusing that leopard makes him nervous but elephants are no problem.

I found it amusing that leopard makes him nervous but elephants are no problem.

It just goes to show how little insight the young guys can have. They can imagine a cat biting them but not of being tusked and stomped by an Elephant.

Most folks in North America are in the same boat.
As part of a Survival exercise I had my students share what their biggest fear was.
I wrote all the responses on the black board and the students were all surprised with "Elephant" being one of the responses. The local folks chuckled at it actually.
(It turned out it was an immigrant student who proffered the Elephant for the list)
I asked the author to volunteer their reasons and he then shared that their entire home had been destroyed by an Elephant one night as the family slept.

That story brought home a new reality for all the zoo and circus attendees. (me included)

And maybe you should teach yourself some manners, why on earth do you think I asked the question as to what age is suitable for a child to hunt. My son James is 11 years old for gods sake of course he's going to come out with what (very) serious adults think to be conceited or hung-ho type remarks.
I cannot believe that you sat behind your computer to barate me in such a pompous and condescending way. You are totally out of order and should be banned from voicing your opinions to others.

mark i think you need to take a chill pill :) maybe the way you wrote the first couple of lines gave people the wrong impression of things. all agree its great to take your kids hunting especially to africa if you have the chance. the thing that all agreed on is that you start them on the smaller stuff and let them learn and find their feet in the hunting field, and not let them hunt the big 5 which unfortunately happens where the people do it just because they can afford it . so def take him as it will be a fantastic experience for both of you. let him take an impala and warthog and he will be just as thrilled as if they were the big 5 i promise you .

and wayne i will be very interested in reading your report about your report :LOL:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross