Kid rifle for South Africa plains game hunt

Elkeater

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hey everyone. I’m new around here and know next to nothing about African hunting. By chance 4 of us plus 2 observers are hunting SA plains game in the Limpopo province in 2024. One of the 4 hunters will be my daughter. She’ll be about 11 when we go (actually might turn 11 in Africa depending on exact dates). She’s fairly small for her age but enjoys shooting and is a good shot. Usually she sticks to my .223 and her own 6mm ARC. I do have a weatherby youth model 7-08 Rem that she can take. So my question is should we plan on taking the 7-08 loaded with some variety of mono bullet or is that just not going to do the job? The biggest animal in the package we bought that she would hunt would be a zebra. Otherwise she’ll be sticking to warthog impala springbuck etc. I tried searching but didn’t turn up much on the subject of kid rifles.

My daughter was a bit older, but her 7x57 (same ballistics as your 7-08) managed just fine for her. I think it will be a good choice. Here are a couple pics that I can find. We had loaded Barnes 150 TSX and they worked good. Looking back I would probably go even lighter with the mono's if I were doing this today. This was 2014......

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

20140612_071451.jpg

Agreed. We have used the 7x57 to great effect in Africa. The 7mm-08 will do the same. I load 175 gr swift A-Frames in the 7x57. 160 gr may be a better solution in the ‘08.

We bought a Browning 7mm-08 in a youth model for our boys when they were young. My wife, Princess Bride, took that rifle to Africa. She used it quite effectively for zebra, oryx, and wildebeast. My daughter in law used the same rifle and was equally successful. We used 150g Barnes bullets. Have many conversations with your daughter about taking shots she is comfortable with. Have FUN!

TTSX or TSX in 120 or 140 will get it done. Maybe have someone else in the group shoot “her” zebra and pick up another animal for her. Have her practice off the sticks.

she can likely handle a bigger round as long as it is in a heavy rifle. Think dad or gunbearer toting it for her until time to get on the sticks. :). My 12 year old daughter shoots a full load .340 Weatherby on an Ed Brown action from the box blind and is deadly. :). Then again, rifle is close to 12 pounds.

B907B5ED-B44D-40EE-809A-99F9B3B06F5D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with all of the above…the light 7’s are a great choice…

Heaven forbid Bob see this post… but a .243 will also get it done if she only has lighter game like impala, blesbok, warthog, etc in mind… and works well for deer and hogs in most parts of the US as well…

Another option is a light loaded .270…

We bought a Browning 7mm-08 in a youth model for our boys when they were young. My wife, Princess Bride, took that rifle to Africa. She used it quite effectively for zebra, oryx, and wildebeast. My daughter in law used the same rifle and was equally successful. We used 150g Barnes bullets. Have many conversations with your daughter about taking shots she is comfortable with. Have FUN!
I agree about taking very careful shots. She has hunted and is a very careful kid. Definitely more thoughtful about shots than I was at that age. I was thinking hammer hunters or shock hammer bullets would do the trick. Figure monos of some variety will do the job.

Add a suppressor if possible. Less recoil is always a good thing.
As has been stated, the 7-08 with appropriate bullet will be up to the job for 99% of PG.

My initial reaction was to suggest a 6x45 shooting 100gr bullet at 2400 until I saw that a 7-08 is an option. My daughters shoot happily and well with my suppressed 6x45 but you're limited to medium game at best with a 6mm and a relatively inexperienced hunter, unlike the 7.

As you're hunting in Limpopo, a heavier conventional bullet (160gr and up) at 2600f/s would be a hammer for 70-150yd shots.

What about a camp rifle option? That may not work as they may not have youth sized rifle choices, and/or you want the memories with her rifle.

Regardless, it is generally good advice to consult the PH on cartridge and bullet choices for the game being hunted. If the PH is comfortable with it, then you should be as well.

Add a suppressor if possible. Less recoil is always a good thing.
As has been stated, the 7-08 with appropriate bullet will be up to the job for 99% of PG.

My initial reaction was to suggest a 6x45 shooting 100gr bullet at 2400 until I saw that a 7-08 is an option. My daughters shoot happily and well with my suppressed 6x45 but you're limited to medium game at best with a 6mm and a relatively inexperienced hunter, unlike the 7.

As you're hunting in Limpopo, a heavier conventional bullet (160gr and up) at 2600f/s would be a hammer for 70-150yd shots.
We typically shoot suppresses as I have a couple of them but I’ve heard there are issues with taking suppressors back and forth from the states. If it’s an option she will 100% be shooting suppressed.

7mm-08 should be plenty. A 160 gr A Frame at a modest 2550 fps still holds on to right at 1500 ft lbs of energy and just north of 2k fps out to about 300 yards.

Your 7mm-08 is a great choice. The Hammers get a lot of praise on another forum that I frequent. She will do fine. That combo will do all that you want it to do.
Bruce

We typically shoot suppresses as I have a couple of them but I’ve heard there are issues with taking suppressors back and forth from the states. If it’s an option she will 100% be shooting suppressed.

Taking a suppressor back and forth is possible.. but there is some paperwork and licensing issues that have to be overcome..

the easiest solution (IMO) is simply to ask your PH to buy one for you in South Africa.. and then leave it there when you leave (either gift it to the PH, or the outfitter, or ask them to store it for your next hunt if you intend on returning to the same place again in the future)...

suppressors are SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive in South Africa (you can pick up a decent can in the $200 range.. a very good one in the $300 range, etc..).. and you can walk into the shop, give them your money, and walk out with one the same day (completely unregulated there)..

When you consider the time and energy and potential costs of obtaining your temp export license (needing to hire someone to help you through the paperwork) to take your own suppressor out of the country and get it back in.. and the cost to actually purchase one in SA vs the total investment of a week long hunt.. buying an inexpensive suppressor in SA is a pretty small investment..

Its also possible your PH would already have a suppressor on hand you could borrow/rent... as long as the thread pitch is the same as your rifle, a .30 suppressor will work on any .30/7mm/6.5MM, etc rifle you want to attach it to..

I agree about taking very careful shots. She has hunted and is a very careful kid. Definitely more thoughtful about shots than I was at that age. I was thinking hammer hunters or shock hammer bullets would do the trick. Figure monos of some variety will do the job.
Pay very close attention to the bullet choice from Hammer. Some of their heavier bullets will stabilize in a 9.5 twist, and some will not. Read the details on each bullet.

Their 146 gr Hammer Hunter (at 1.310") will stabilize in a 9.5 twist like most 7mm-08 have, but the 143 gr hammer hunter (at 1.4" length) may not stabilize very well.

An accurate 7mm-08 or 7x57 is a good choice for anybody on a PG safari. I would recommend a 150 grain bonded bullet like the Accubond or Scirocco II over the same weight Mono bullet. Check out this website for a great deal on 7mm-08 Norma ammo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.22.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.22.47 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.22.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.22.48 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 30

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you