Kenya Considers Hunting As Land-use Model For Community & Private Land

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
https://africageographic.com/blog/kenya-considers-hunting-land-use-model-community-private-land/

Screenshot (337).png

This information was previously shared by one of our AH members in a thread. Many on here got excited when it looked like h7nting might come back to Kenya. Our hopes were dashed quickly by someone close to the situation. Even the article says that sport hunting is currently illegal in Kenya.

The article speaks to following the game ranch model similar to Namibia and South Africa. Wonder how that would work if you can’t hunt the game animals unless it would be just for meat production?

On the surface this has to be a major shift within that government.

Beaucratic nonsense. They are not even smart enough to know what they are saying! Game ranching with no trophy hunting? Really they think that is an economic model?
I tell you Africa is such a mess.....
Philip

I would not jump into conclusion. Even the law against trophy hunting may change. Its too early to say anything, lets see how this will go.

I always hope for the best, but this seems like nonsense, like Philip said.

I will say this: I have been to Kenya 3-4 times and sometimes for months at a time doing mission work. I am by no means a cultural expert, but I never mentioned hunting to any Kenyan without getting a sneer and/or comment like, "in Kenya we shoot our animals with cameras." My purpose in being there was not hunting related so I never pushed it. I spent close to a month backpacking in Tanzania and it was different. In Arusha, right on the border, most I talked to where hunting came up that were actually from Tanzania had no issue and saw it a run of the mill, normal activity (different story for backpacking Europeans)...like the animals in the crater and Serengeti are not for shooting, but in other places it is fine. I only met a couple people that actually hunted, but even the nonhunting Tanzanians seemed like they had no issue. It was really interesting to me because both countries have a huge photo safari market and are so geographically close. But I feel anti-hunting is so woven into Kenyan culture it will not happen. And with their ridiculous, counter-productive ivory burn bull crap, they seem to lack the intellectual ability to delineate between hunting and poaching.

Don't get me wrong, Tanzania had issues too....but a lot different.

However.....It would be freaking awesome if they game ranched grants and tommys and lesser kudu and gerenuk and eventually offered reasonably priced hunts.....of course then all the Tanzanian outfitters would say it was not sporting, too easy, not real hunting just like in the SA lion situation where everyone who does not profit off of CBL gets all disparaging.

and/or comment like, "in Kenya we shoot our animals with cameras." My purpose in being there was not hunting related so I never pushed it.)..

.... But I feel anti-hunting is so woven into Kenyan culture it will not happen.

It would be interesting to find out, actually, from which cultural or economic class do such anti hunting negative ideas come from?

Few days ago, the last Kenyan white rhino died. I wonder what happened to the rest? Photo camera - over kill, or possibly lead poisoning? Also, in the same time I am certain that neither myself, or any other member of forum ever shot any white rhino in Kenya.

Looking from my remote perspective, it seams a bit hypocritical, and under false morality pretensions. But, then what do I know, locals should know better.

@mark-hunter

It was not like a did a survey, but I never heard anything good about hunting. This included the middle class pastor and his wife (who got his education in the States) Kibera slum residents (possibly some of the poorest people on earth) and even people at a "gun shop" in downtown Nairobi that did not have guns actually on display, but instead, pistol holsters (weird, I know...)

If you are looking for logic and brains on wildlife management issues, Kenya is the last place in the world to look. They lost 80% or more of their game since they closed hunting. It is super corrupt. (I once saw a newspaper headline while I was there of a government official who committed suicide by shooting himself in the back of the head with a shotgun while driving his car. Pretty outrageous imo....but I did really like the people there and consider many my friends.

I by no means did an official survey, but fro .what I have heard, anti-hunting is ingrained in their culture. And from the actions they have taken and refusal to allow hunting the past decades, I think it is apparent the greenies have a big hold on that country. I hope for the best, but don't expect there will be anything but bird hunting available there anytime soon.

@npm352

Thanks for more insight in the matter!

@npm352 isn't bird hunting currently allowed in Kenya?

I think it could slowly change. Someone who grew up in Kenya (family is still there) was shocked that I would go hunting in RSA and not Kenya...I didn't have the heart to tell her that it's illegal, but she had a lot of pride in Kenya...I'm hopefully optimistic but doubt it will happen.

Hi @LivingTheDream yes....bird hunting is allowed. I think the comment was misunderstood. I think that will be the only hunting allowed there anytime soon. I had applied for a position at an international school there and looked into steps required to hunt birds or guide bird hunters.

I am sure there are some smarter people in Kenya that "get hunting," but my small sample size seemed to show that some were certainly ingrained with the idea hunting was bad.

Kenyans are very proud. Despite the corruption of a few (God knows America has plenty of corruption too!), I love Kenya despite the hunting ban. The people are awesome and it offers a lot to adventure travelers. Very diverse in so many ways.

Game ranching in Kenya, trophy hunting will likely follow. I would really like to take a cruise from Miami to Mombasa, than take a charter flight to the hunting area, and well hunt with great noglasta. I would keep this under wraps. Hopefully next is India.

Game ranching in Kenya, trophy hunting will likely follow. I would really like to take a cruise from Miami to Mombasa, than take a charter flight to the hunting area, and well hunt with great noglasta. I would keep this under wraps. Hopefully next is India.

India would be exiting - Sambar, chiral (axis), buffalo, poachers etc (whoops delete poachers but I feel very strong about them).

Chital deer I meant
We have heaps of chital deer in my state
Aggressive critters that fight “full on” amongst themselves.
Getting a full undamaged rack is not easy.

Whats the trophy fee for a "great noglasta"?:whistle::D:eek::rolleyes:o_Oo_Oo_O:D:D:D:p:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross